MOT Fail, no it’s not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alzieboy

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E350CDI Coupe
Took the E350cdi Coupe in for MOT today, as it’s a local garage , left it with them walked home and done a bit of breakfast.
When I returned to pick up the car was informed, “ Sorry mate Failed “ . What on I asked , the headlight washers don’t work , I was informed.
They said they should work with the screen wash , well after I explained that the Head Light washers only work about every 6th time you use the screen wash stork and following my demonstration with the Guy standing in front of the car he gave a thumbs up and duly gave me the MOT, no advisories! .

4.1.6 Headlamp cleaning devices
You must inspect vehicles first used on or after 1 September 2009 equipped with headlamp washers.

You can identify HID headlamps from:

• ‘DCR’ mark on the headlamp lens or body
  • an igniter module or inverter behind the headlamp
  • taking a few seconds to reach full intensity
  • a bluish tinge to the light
HID headlamps use high voltage. You should take care when inspecting these headlamps.

Defect Category
  1. Headlamp cleaning device:
  1. inoperative
Minor
  1. inoperative in the case of LED or gas discharge systems (HID)
Major

MOT Manuals Section 4 Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment

Should it fail on that, even if they don't work? Seems odd it could fail on the lack of something most cars don't have anyway....

I believe that is the case, but it does seem strange as you say when most cars don't have them. Apparently if you don't have them, obviously it's no issue with the MOT, but if you do, they have to work.

The high intensity type lights need self levellling and a wash system.
I didn't know they should wash with the windscreen if reg'd after when ever.

So did the car get issued with a pass as though repaired, that is will the record show the failure?

Not 100% sure here but think projector lenses is also a loop hole for hids and no wash or auto level. not sure if they shut said loop hole as was a while back.

Not 100% sure here but think projector lenses is also a loop hole for hids and no wash or auto level. not sure if they shut said loop hole as was a while back.
HIDs are HIDs whether they use projector lenses or not. And, have always required washers and levelers.

HIDs are HIDs whether they use projector lenses or not. And, have always required washers and levelers.
I've known countless cars pass a test with aftermarket hids behind projectors but it was a fair few year back, where as hids in normal lights failed.

I've known countless cars pass a test with aftermarket hids behind projectors but it was a fair few year back, where as hids in normal lights failed.

That was due to lazy / uneducated testers, not a loop hole.

Apologies for hijacking a thread but my question doesn't really warrant one of its own.

Does the rear window washer of an estate car have to work to get an MOT?

The wiper wipes but I've disabled the washer because it leaks all over the inside of the tailgate.

Apologies for hijacking a thread but my question doesn't really warrant one of its own.

The wiper wipes but I've disabled the washer because it leaks all over the inside of the tailgate.

No they're not concerned with the rear wash, or wipe.

No.

Not all cars with hid headlamps need to have protectors, headlamp leveling or washers. Some 90’s cars came with hids and had none of the above but cannot be failed as thats the way it was designed out of the factory, they were way ahead of their time and its only recently that things have caught up

As this is about headlamp washers - could someone please explain (for a simpleton) why the ILS lights do not have, or need, headlamp washers. My C350e didn’t have them and in 25k miles I never needed them. I used to need to use them regularly in cars without ILS.

ECE certification requires that headlamps that produce over 3000 Lumens are equipped with automatic level control and headlamps washer system.

This is to prevent dazzling of oncoming traffic when the car is ladden at the rear or when the headlamps are dirty and the light is spread in the wrong direction.

Before LED, only HID bulbs produced this level of light outout.

LED are exempt because they are ECU-managed and have sensors that prevent dazzling.

The above only applies to factory options which passed ECE certification and are UK legal.

So you can retrofid original HID headlamps with seld-levelling and washers, and your car remains ECE certified and road legal in the UK.

But anyone fitting HIDs, either in existing Halogen lamps or as complete headlamp replacement, without carrying-out the full original factory retrofit, ends-up with a car that isn't ECE certified and therefore not road legal. The same applies to ALL of the after-market LED retrofits currently available - not a single one is legal for road use in EU.

In fact, if you check the after-market bulb manufacture's website it will always have a disclaimer along the lines of 'not legal for use in the UK/EU,' 'off-road use only', etc.

MOT testers may or may not spot after-market or partial retrofits, but it's immaterial, because the fact that the tester didn't fail the car doesn't make it road legal.

As for the argument 'no one will find out'..... well you can smoke a joint in your bathroom then flush the butt down the toilet and no one will ever know... but it won't make it legal :)

As this is about headlamp washers - could someone please explain (for a simpleton) why the ILS lights do not have, or need, headlamp washers. My C350e didn’t have them and in 25k miles I never needed them. I used to need to use them regularly in cars without ILS.

That would be down to them being LED rather than HID usually.
Not entirely sure if it is just because the LED headlamps do not produce the same light intensity as xenon.

EDIT.... just saw the above post so that’s why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom