MOT: Failed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyer

MB Enthusiast
Car
Ford Mustang GT
Damn! My CLK just failed it's MOT (which was due on the 31/8). The failure was due to a crack in the windscreen, which happened last October :rolleyes:. A stone flicked up from the car in front and left a big chip in the lower middle of the screen. A couple of weeks later, a crack appeared from left to right. After reading the horror stories of Autoglass, et al, making a mess of the installation of a new screen, I decided to leave it as it wasn't in my line of sight and most people couldn't even see it.

Until today ... I'm surprised that this is an MOT failure:

clk_ws1.jpg

clk_ws2.jpg

clk_ws3.jpg

... but it is. Car's booked in with the stealers for next Wednesday for Autoglass to fit a MB-supplied windscreen. Hopefully, they will keep an eye on them. (It's in on Wednesday as they couldn't repair the wheel damage that happened last time it was in, as the wheel-repair man only goes there on a Wednesday!!!)

My problem now is that my MOT has expired, as has my road tax :-(

Trying to drive all innocent, now :))

Cheers

Andrew

!!!!!!!!!! Don't let Autoglas near it!!! My rear screen needed replacing (after a local muppet chucked a stone through it for a laugh). Autoglas not only chewed up the paintwork around the window, the bloody thing fell out the next day!! Car needed a repray on back tailgate and another new screen this time with Silver Screens, (did a nice job).

Andrew, even though the car has failed the MOT, don't you have a 7-day notice period to get it corrected?

I thought that the MOT failure report (VT20 or 30?) gave you the Ok to drive it for 7 days? I might be (and probably am) 100% wrong,

K

as far as I know, once it's failed and the old one has expired you can't drive it unless...

it's to a pre arranged appointment to get repairs done or to a pre arranged appointment for a retest.

Also bear in mind - with no MOT you have no insurance!!!!!

no/expired tax disc just advertises the fact that you would like the boys in blue to have a quick chat with you.

Be careful

Andy

Be very careful about the tax disc in your area, they're quite hot on stuff like that in Cheshire! There is a sneaky plod on a bike on the sliproad to the big bridge at Widnes, he's on the lookout for expired tax discs, because of the queue in the morning the cars are rolling at about 2mph and he has plenty of opportunity to make notes! They also have the scary looking cameras mounted on the bridges over the M62 sometimes, not for speeders but for people with expired tax or no insurance, which they check using the sinister new computer system!

Kinky - I think the 7-day thing you are referring to is regarding the need for a re-testing fee. If you rectify the fault(s) within this period there is sometimes no retesting fee. I think some places state 24 hours!
If your vehicle has failed the test it has no valid MOT, and hence no insurance (unless as andy says you are returning to the testing garage (pre booked) or place of pre-arranged repairs).
Be careful!
Cheers,
Will

Will/andy - cheers for the clarification. I'd guessed I was wrong, but knew there was a limit sometime.

Ironically - mine expires tomorrow!

K

Flyer.

DON'T LET AUTOGLASS NEAR IT!!!!

There was a post on here from Spike some months ago relating to the horror he suffered after these muppets had done his screen, which prompted me to check with my local dealers as to if they did their own screen replacements, or if they subcontracted it to similar muppets, their reply was that they had 2 technicians who had been on the MB factory course, and they were the ones who did the screens.

The reason it failed is because its in Zone A, and whoever it was that warned of no insurance without the valid mot would be right, be careful!!

Once the screen is fixed don't forget to book a pre arranged test, as thats the only way you can legally drive it.

Hope this is of use.

Vito: Yep, that's what I'd heard about Autoglass. And that's why I'm having it done at the dealer, as they'll have to check it during and after. Obviously, I'll check it as well :) .

Guys, I'm fairly certain that the absence of an MOT does *not* invalidate your insurance. Something in my history reminds me, but also this topic was covered recently on PistonHeads (can't find it now :rolleyes: ). It's still not a good situation :( and I won't be using my car now until Wednesday :crazy:

Shude: Yep, seen that plod a lot! Used to go to Widnes a lot (daughter lived there), but don't need to now.

Dave: Just read your msg. I wish Road Range had those qualified techs :crazy: . Have I been committing an offence all these months? :eek: . Already booked in for Wednesday (after the w/s is replaced).

So, what lesson have we learned? Don't leave it until the last minute (or, after :D) to get my MOT :crazy: .

BTW They charged me £47.82, despite the DOT website saying that the *maximum* charge is £40.75. Can they charge that?

Cheers
Andrew

they can if they add vat to the £40.75

I think if you read the small print of your insurance no MOT will almost certainly invalidate it in the case of an accident, after all in their eyes you would be driving an unroadworthy car so why should they insure it?

best policy is to just keep it off the road.

Andy

No MOT does not automatically invalidate your insurance on its own. The lack of MOT would have to contribute in someway to the accident for the insurance company to refuse payout. (if for example the vehicle was an MOT failiure or unroadworthy/dangerous)

Having said that, Insurance companies will often try it on and use it as an excuse to offer a reduced payout in the event of a claim regardless as to whether the vehicle was capable of passing an MOT at the time or not.

I have always had my vehicles MOTd a month before they are due so if it fails it gives me plenty of time to source bits and fit them myself and you dont loose a month on the ticket if it passes it gets carried over also it doesnt leave you without road tax this way.

ANDY

You can post date you MOT up to a month in advance if you show your existing MOT runs out at that date...

Originally posted by andy_k
they can if they add vat to the £40.75

But the DOT don't mention VAT; that is the *maximum* charge. I think a phone call to the other dealers in the group is in order to find out what they charge ...

Anyone else had a recent MOT (after 1 August, as I believe there was an increase in the fee)?

Re; insurance - thanks Spike, that's what I thought. andy_k: I agree; car is now off the road :(

Andy W: Yep, lesson learned :rolleyes:

Cheers
Andrew

I found a Guy in Leyland who does M.O.T.'s for £15. Guess what....................I used him. Beats the £39 from a local mupet I was quoted. It pays to shop around.

Why it failed.

Going right back to the beginning of this thread, the reason it failed the MOTTY is the fact that all bonded in windscreens and rear screens are integral components of the vehicle structure and if damaged constitute a reduction in the designed strength of the vehicle.
Having said that, In the event of a flip over, a shattered, toughened rear screen has zero strength and therfore cannot add rigidity to the structure, whereas a Laminated screen remains substantially intact by being securely bonded to the PVB interlayer during the manufacturing process.
Laminated screens are more prone to damage as they consist of two very thin layers of glass bonded to a plastic layer between the two panes. A typical widscreen is 6.8mm thick, having 2, 3mm panes of glass and a 0.8mm PVB layer between them. Toughened windscreens are ususally 6mm thick monolithic glass toughened by the use of cold air jets rapidly cooling the outer skin of the glass and setting it whilst the inner portion of the glass cools more slowly and contracts putting the outer skin of the glass in compression. Glass has very little inherent tensile strength, but it's compressive strength is quite high. To break toughened glass you have to overcome the compression set up by the rapid cooling before you induce tension into the surface to break it. AHA! I hear you say, "you can break toughened glass by using a centre punch" And rightly so, but that is only because the compressed surface is destroyed allowing the tensile stresses to dominate.
I hope you have not been too bored with this, but as a former windscreen technician, I'd just like to point out that we are not all Muppets. Some are, but not all.

Good info.

We've had a few glass replacement horror stories on here. Trouble is you take your chance on who turns up - it's a just a phone call and then a man with a van normally.

Whatever company name is on the side, you still don't know the fitters history.

jack-n-gill:
You obviously know your onions mate, and I can appreciate what you are saying with regard to the strength of the car's structure being impaired by a damaged screen. I am not sure that this is the typical reason for failing to pass the MOT inspection with regards to stone chips, as they seem to only count such damage which is in the sweep of the wipers and the driver's view?
I have heard of failing an MOT for a "milky" edge appearing - ie, the two laminated sections seperating and becoming weak.
Also, if the stone chips made the screen dangerously weakened, how can they justify these "resin-injection" type repairs?
Just curious and hoping someone can elaborate?!?
Cheers,
Will

Re: Why it failed.

Originally posted by jack-n-gill
...In the event of a flip over, a shattered, toughened rear screen has zero strength and therfore cannot add rigidity to the structure, whereas a Laminated screen remains substantially intact by being securely bonded to the PVB interlayer during the manufacturing process.
In my flip-over accident, the front screen cracked, the rear screen was 100% intact!
crash07.jpg

crash04.jpg

Awesome pics! I hope you weren't injured in that crash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom