MOT failure: Headlamp aim projected beam image is obviously incorrect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oxfordian

Car
C220 CDI Sports Coupe
Hi all,
I've been absent for a while and my trusty old C220 Cdi Sports auto (yr 2002/260,000 mls) has continued to be reliable. But it's MOT time and one of the 2 items flagged as a 'major defect' is "Headlamp aim projected beam image is obviously incorrect". Apparently no beam image seen for either headlamp.

Both lenses are clear and transparent (I did them before taking it in) and I haven't changed anything re the headlamps since the previous MOT, when it passed with only a couple of advisories.

As I type this, I've just recalled that for at least the last 3 years, I have noticed that at low-ish speeds at night, the lights seem to faintly flicker. Might that indicate where the problem lies? As the process and connectors for changing bulbs is quite simple and straightforward, I'm struggling to see what might not be properly seated. I'd appreciate any advice as to what I could look at or check to get this sorted so I can get it back for a retest.

Tks
Mark

If you have the bulbs incorrectly installed "it is possible" you will get a fail. I know this because it happened to me, if the seemingly simple bulb holder clip gets turned upside down when changing a bulb it throws the beam pattern way out.

I have a memory of something similar with my S203 2001, IIRC I put the bulb in upside down and was able to clip it in, the headlights were awful, only figured it when I pulled a bulb and used an inspection mirror to see where the little tab should be - I was IIRC 180 degrees out!

Its very common to install halogen bulb slightly wrong. Another culprit is using cheapest chinese s*itbulbs which may throw totally unique shape of beam...

Flickering may point that something is loosen, my W220 had interior support of low beam broken and it vibrated a bit. Can't remeber how W203 lights are constructed.

Re my MOT failure: How naive was I?

I took my car down to a trusted Merc Indy, miles away from where I've relocated, and they (2 senior techs) could NOT find any issue with my headlight beams, nor the other issue marked as a major defect (excessive worn front suspension ball joint) by Quick Fit Leamington-Spa who did the MOT.

They even rang Kwik Fit to get more information on the faults they had failed the vehicle on, but none was forthcoming! In the end they simply took the vehicle to another garage for its MOT and it sailed through with a list of advisories to be monitored.

I've learnt the lesson. I'm not sure I'll even go to Kwik Fit for tyres!

PS. Can anyone recommend an Indy in the Warwickshire or West Midlands area?

Tks all.

Sounds like one to report to DVLA or VOSA or whoever regulates MOTs. Shocking behaviour.
I'm filing a complaint each to Online Reviews and Complaints Platform - Pissed Consumer ,the Complaints Board & Kwik Fit (HO). I recon that this will get more traction than DVLA or VOSA. Belatedly, I noticed other members have had issues with MOTs at Kwik Fit as well as another national organisations. My own feeling is that it's an issue, only with some of the local sites of these companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom