Mot Failure W211 - Handbrake Insufficient

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mystic.bertie

Car
E280 CDI SPORT 2007 Saloon
Hey chaps.

My e280 cdi 2007 failed its mot due to the parking brake not working sufficiently. I do have to press the pedal down far for it to grip properly but it does work if pressed hard enough. Do i just need to adjust it or does it sound like shoes or pads are needed. I have never dealt with this style of handbrake before and i really dont see the point of this either, a bit like Saab putting the ignition in the center console . :wallbash:

Many thanks sir. Is that your own video? If so good work :thumb:

Thanks. There's been a call for subtitles :D. If you follow it there's part two somewhere which shows it with the disc in place.

Edit...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XyLbpTZMpEw

While you're in there check the condition of the steel brake pipes where they join the flexies. Common place for corrosion.

11_zpse4198e68.jpg

Bend back the arch liner and treat it with anti-rust paint.

41_zpsb5b0c7a8.jpg

81_zps18d3b346.jpg

Last edited:
Im Scottish too so i could make you out just fine:thumb:

Thanks for the tips of the brake pipes ill check them out while im in there. The 2nd video loads after the first one so ill watch them again before tackling the job. ;)

I got the job done and many thanks to the helpful video which made it easy. The drivers side was fine but the passenger side was needing adjusting. The handbrake was right on the limit when retested at 16%. The chap said at some point i should check the condition of the shoes and drum as its not gripping that well. I will tackle that another time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom