MOT FOR NEW REGISTRATION CARS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benz17

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350d AMG Premium (W213)
Hi, this is an odd one, my fathers recently purchased NX300h, registered 9 September 2018, the MOT expiry date shown on the dvla website is 23 May 2022, can this be correct, I was always of the opinion that the first MOT for new registration cars was at the end of the 3rd year, but showing May 2022 means the first MOT is due at 3 years and 9 months. Can this be correct.

Your opinion is correct; three years old, first MoT due. Has it been tested once already, early, by the previous owner/dealer? That would explain it.

the MOT expiry date shown on the dvla website is 23 May 2022

Check the MOT history here: Check the MOT history of a vehicle

I suspect it's as E55BOF suggested i.e. the car was put through an MOT in May, for whatever reason. Hence it now has an expiry date ... otherwise at less than 3 years old it would say "No details held by DVLA" on the MOT status screen linked to by A.J. above, and "This vehicle hasn't had its first MOT" on the MOT history one I gave.

my fathers recently purchased NX300h, registered 9 September 2018

Other thoughts ...

1. Could it be imported?
2. Could it previously have been used as a taxi or similar (and therefore MOT'd every 12 months from new)?

Wouldn't have anything to do with the mot extension last year due to covid would it?

Wouldn't have anything to do with the mot extension last year due to covid would it?

That only applied to cars which had an MOT expiry date falling within a specific period in 2020 (March to July, IIRC).

Mystery solved, the non Lexus dealer we bought it from 2 weeks ago, had it Mot’d before handover, when we did the deal, he stated the mot was not due till September, which I was aware of anyway, but at handover he never informed us that he had it freshly mot’d.

Thanks for all the answers anyway.

I didn't know the system allowed cars under 3 years old to be tested (unless taxis etc.). Presumably if it had been MOT'd at 1 year old it would then have been due the next one at 2 years old!

I didn't know the system allowed cars under 3 years old to be tested (unless taxis etc.). Presumably if it had been MOT'd at 1 year old it would then have been due the next one at 2 years old!
I didn’t know that either, it’s a 2018 car with 11k miles, so can’t see it being a taxi, and on dvla it showing as the first mot on 24 May, that’s was also the day we did the deal, and paid a deposit. Nice of them to give it a mot, but if he had told us, then the confusion, and my post wouldn’t have arised.

Possibly the same rule apply as to early presentation? An early MOT test simply triggers and one-year valid certificate?

At handover we were not given a paper mot certificate, therefore had no inkling that an mot had been done, it was when today my dad took it too lexus for a free health check, and to set up a direct debit with regards to the service plan, which includes 3 mot’s, they mentioned to him that next mot is due in May 2022, he then told me this, I then went on the dvla website, which is the tax/mot site, there it gives the expiry date, only. I then entered the details on the link which BTB 500 posted, there it gives the full history with dates of mot, and clarified matters.

Possibly the same rule apply as to early presentation? An early MOT test simply triggers and one-year valid certificate?

Yes it looks like that's the case - a useful thing to know!

There's nothing to stop someone buying a brand new car and taking it for an MOT that day but don't see why anyone would pass on the 3 year MOT break perk of having a new car.

Jag dealer I bought a car from was telling me that their practice is taking a car for first MOT if there is less than 12 months till the first one which didn’t make sense to me at all. I didn’t want that and have asked them not to do it. Now, since the dealers are giving a warranty for first MOT (my guessing is that practice is the same throughout the industry) my thinking at a time was that they will use it in case something gets wrong on that 1st MOT before delivery when either way they would have to sort it out. As my first MOT is at the end of September I will probably (Boris permitted) put few thousand miles on it and if something gets wrong then I’m expecting Jaguar to cover the repair cost (limited to £750 for MOT).
So better check if your fathers Lexus is still under this first MOT warranty or it has been used for that MOT they did.

Hi we bought from a non lexus dealer, it still has manufacturers warranty till 6 September, and then it has a 12 month platinum RAC warranty after the manufacturers one expires, which the dealer gave us, on top of the 12 month RAC roadside cover. It had a free health check at lexus yesterday, and was given a clean bill of health.

When I purchased my W213 in August 2019, the main dealer didn't MOT the car, its first mot was due in April 2020, which was 6 months away, so it seems different main dealers have different rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom