MOT help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Birdie123

Car
Mercedes B Class 180 CDi 2007
does anyone know what this means, it's nothing to do with my mercedes but my daughter's non Mercedes, I tried to phone the MOT garage but thier explanation left me no wiser and now they will be closed for some time.
the failure is for "Offside Front Steering linkage ball joint ball joint dust cover excessively damaged or deteriorated so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (ii)" what does it mean, is it just a ball joint that needs replacing, which I presume is relatively cheap and easy fix or do they mean a new steering rack, I think this maybe a tie rod or track rod??

Hard to know without more details but if it’s the ball joint nearest the wheel, (track rod end?), it ought to be a straightforward replacement, depending on the type of car.

Places like Kwik Fit can usually handle these kind of things.

does anyone know what this means, it's nothing to do with my mercedes but my daughter's non Mercedes, I tried to phone the MOT garage but thier explanation left me no wiser and now they will be closed for some time.
the failure is for "Offside Front Steering linkage ball joint ball joint dust cover excessively damaged or deteriorated so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (ii)" what does it mean, is it just a ball joint that needs replacing, which I presume is relatively cheap and easy fix or do they mean a new steering rack, I think this maybe a tie rod or track rod??
This YouTube video describes the exact failure and the cheapest resolution.

So it looks like you can actually just buy the rubber boots. I would imagine however that most mechanics would opt to replace the complete inner and outer tie rods on both sides. They tend not to be particularly expensive but it does start getting relatively pricey once you add labour and if they then need to adjust the tracking once fitted as is likely.

Thanks guys, I know if it's a ball joint like a tie rod, it will be simple and relatively cheap but beacuse the mot failure states "Steering linkage" I was worried this meant the steering Rack, which is not an easy fix, so I suppose my questions is which part needs replacing according to the MOT failure and no don't say the dust cover because I want to replace the whole part and not just the dust cover, thanks

Replace just the specified failure ball joint. Unless whoever does the repair is very lucky or very skilful, the front wheel toe-in will need to be adjusted afterwards

Thanks guys, I know if it's a ball joint like a tie rod, it will be simple and relatively cheap but beacuse the mot failure states "Steering linkage" I was worried this meant the steering Rack, which is not an easy fix, so I suppose my questions is which part needs replacing according to the MOT failure and no don't say the dust cover because I want to replace the whole part and not just the dust cover, thanks
Another YouTube video This is what I believe needs doing. Level of difficulty will depend on the car but parts are generally relatively cheap.

Thankyou guys, so the consensus is that this mot failure is a tie rod ball joint ( inner or outer), I remember getting this done on my Mercedes B class, ( the inner ones on both sides) the part from GSF was about £40 for both sides if I call from memory) and the labour by a very skilled mechanic, that I know for over 30 years was another £40 so I imagine on my daughter's honda, it will cost no more, maybe even less
my worry was it was not a tie rod but the steering rack but everyone here is thinking it's the tie rod so I am reassured.

I had the exact same MOT failure on our SLK a few months ago. I too was confused as to whether it was the ball joint or just the rubber boot needed replacement.
Conversation with MB main dealer who had the car in for MOT & Service was something like:- "The part is £80 something pounds and including fitting & wheel alignment the total will be £500 ish" I asked for a breakdown.
Spoke to local indi, told him what the MOT failure description was and what MB had quoted for the part. He did the job for £180

Thankyou PIff, I went to Mercedes two years back on when I had the tie rods done as described above for MOT and like you I was quoted something silly hence my mechanic did it for £80 for both sides and two years later and two MOT's since, no issues as yet. As well I had a problem with the CV joint, Mercedes told me the part had to be ordered from Germany and would be a shade over £500 plus labour to fit, they would not give me the part number. After some research I managed to find a manufacturer in Birmingham (J&R trading), who could supply the whole driveshaft for £80 (not just the CV joint), that was a much easier fit so labour by my mechanic was only £50, and again two years later, two mot's since no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom