MOT jargon........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chesterpiglet

Car
Mercedes W211 E280 Cdi Sport Estate
Last year on my MOT advisory info it stated 001 Track rod end ball joint has slight play offside front & 002 Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint Nearside Front Upper. I had both Tie Rods replaced.
This year the advisory notes were Suspension arm ball has slight play Nearside Front Upper & Offside Front Lower.............. I thought the tie rods were the track rods? The car passed so no complaints but just curious. Is the tie rod the track rod & if so how can it have play as it's new?

suspension arms and track rod/tie rod are 2 separate things.

Are tracks rods the same as tie rods?

1377965-10702212-jpg.jpg

To my understanding, Track Rod Ends are connected to the Tie Rods, which in turn are connected to the Steering Rack. The point of play would be the ball joint at the junction of the Tie Rod End and the Steering Rack. I know a lot of parts companies show you a photo of a Track Rod End and call it a Tie Rod, which if they were selling both pieces joined then technically thats correct. Generally the word " Inner " Tie Rods should probably be used to completely identify the part. Of course the MOT Tester may have just yellow chalked the item.
I have just looked in the latest Gov. Guide to MOT testing, there is only mention of Ball Joints and Drag links, not even a mention of a Pitman Arm. Times change, definitions change. Others of course will have other opinions, my knowledge is now somewhat dated !.

Steve

This year the advisory notes were Suspension arm ball has slight play Nearside Front Upper & Offside Front Lower. not a mention of a tie rod or a track rod end there. im confused .

I sympathise with the OP and have had similar experiences where there were inconsistencies in naming component faults which in one case led to me to replace something that wasn't worn. I now tend to ask for a clear explanation on any advisory.

I'm confused too...................I thought I knew what I wanted to know. It was the suspension arm offside front lower bit I think. No doubt somebody will be along soon with a detailed pic & everything will be as clear as mud..................

190 that was what I was trying to ask- did I replace something I didn't need to...............I think

I'm confused too...................I thought I knew what I wanted to know. It was the suspension arm offside front lower bit I think. No doubt somebody will be along soon with a detailed pic & everything will be as clear as mud..................

There's 2 suspension arms . lower front and rear front. Nothing at all to do with the track arms . I did mention this already.

You had an advisory for the suspension arm ball joint (NSF upper) last year and the same again this year, you didn’t change it - no surprise there :)

Theres no mention of tie rods/track rods this year but you have a new advisory for a bottom ball joint on the OSF - hardly a surprise for a wear and tear item either.

No confusion to me, these are different parts to what you’ve changed :thumb:

You should be able to jack the car up and check for lift/movment in the joint. Parts are cheap but need pressing in, there’s more than one joint on each arm so check which one you need to replace! ;)

If in doubt, always ask the MOT tester before you walk away. They can explain exactly which bits they mean and some will even show you on the car.

Sometimes garages will mark offending parts with a dab of yellow paint/chalk etc, but as already said the easiest way to be sure is check yourself or ask whoever is doing the work to do so before ordering any parts :)

Many thanks everyone for all your replies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom