MOT Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Just having a look at what showed up on cars last MOT as advisory and how much is be looking at spending to put it right.

1. Rear brake pipe slighly corroded
2. offside front Suspension arm ball joint dust cover Damaged but preventing ingress of dirt

Car has covered only around 6k since last MOT and the next one is due in 3 months. Anyone have any idea how much I'd be looking at for new brake pile and ball joint? (Apparenlty it's better to change the whole unit than just add the cover or something)

Cheers

By the looks of number two it is just saying the dust cover to it is damaged, however it's not letting dust in

Maybe just have the brake lines sorted or greased?

By the looks of number two it is just saying the dust cover to it is damaged, however it's not letting dust in

Maybe just have the brake lines sorted or greased?

Ah okay. I've read somewhere about wire brushing and waxoyl. Is this what your referring to? Cheers

I'd probably just put clear grease on the lines. - That way they can see that the pipe isn't corroded.

I'd probably just put clear grease on the lines. - That way they can see that the pipe isn't corroded.

Is it expensive for a new pipe?

Is it expensive for a new pipe?

I had to have the rear brake pipes replaced on my C class, a similar set-up to yours, cost was £600 from my Independent (parts were £33, the rest labour and VAT) as the fuel tank needs to be dropped and it is time consuming to feed the new pipes around the suspension etc.

Mine had advisories for 3 years but after that needed replacing as they had corroded badly.

I think MB book time is circa 8 hours?

I had to have the rear brake pipes replaced on my C class, a similar set-up to yours, cost was £600 from my Independent (parts were £33, the rest labour and VAT) as the fuel tank needs to be dropped and it is time consuming to feed the new pipes around the suspension etc.

Mine had advisories for 3 years but after that needed replacing as they had corroded badly.

I think MB book time is circa 8 hours?

Thanks ;) that's a crazy 500£ labour! Hopefully won't need to be done this time as it's only shown last year

To do it yourself is about £50 all-in with tools etc, but it's not a particularly pleasant job; particularly if you are trying to flare a fitting somewhere under the car.

I've done it on the Nissan with copper alloy (because it's nearly impossible to get replacement steel lines for a 25 year-old Japanese import), and they've never come up as an advisory since.

Thanks ;) that's a crazy 500£ labour! Hopefully won't need to be done this time as it's only shown last year

Not crazy, just reflects the amount of work to do it properly, a friend had a similar bill for his E class and another friend paid a similar amount for a BMW 328 Convertible.

It is the routing of the pipework under the fuel tank and around tight suspension components that takes time. It is a very labour intensive job if done the correct way.

To do it yourself is about £50 all-in with tools etc, but it's not a particularly pleasant job; particularly if you are trying to flare a fitting somewhere under the car.

I've done it on the Nissan with copper alloy (because it's nearly impossible to get replacement steel lines for a 25 year-old Japanese import), and they've never come up as an advisory since.

I bought a roll of Kunifer pipe ( about a tenner ) to do my 190 ; just waiting for warmer weather now . If there's an easier route which will avoid dropping the rear subframe then I'll do it , since all that matters to me is for the pipework to be sound and secure .

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever had an MOT where it hasn't mentioned 'Rear brake pipe slighly corroded' as an advisory.

It is the word 'slightly' that is the issue. What does 'slightly' mean? Does it mean they have spotted one spot of rust the size of a pinhead, or that the whole pipe is starting to show signs of surface rust?

Dealer quoted me £1200 for the rear brake pipes although another member on here recently said they had their's done at a dealer for £400.

My indie said £600.

MOT can be done a up to a month before the due data and if passes be dated 12 months from the original due date. i.e test a month early and get a ticket for 13 months.

Put in for the test early and see what they say.

Cheers for everything guys, ill put it in a month early when time comes and see what they say

Cheers for everything guys, ill put it in a month early when time comes and see what they say

Good luck!:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom