MOT question....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Hello guys,

I’ve got a Mini Cooper due for its MOT and have a quick question,

the indicators work fine, but they don’t make the ‘ticking noise’ inside the car or show as being turned on in the dashboard. However they function as intended outside? Is this a fail? or would it be fine as they still work although they don’t make the clicking noise or show as on when looking at the dash?

Cheers
Abs

I understand that all dashboard warning lights must work.
Whether your test examiner notices or includes the dashboard indicator lights as 'warning lights' remains to be seen.
Don't think the clicking matters.
Of course others may know better

This is from the MOT testing manual:-

Direction indicator tell tales may be audible or visual. A tell-tale is not required if one or more direction indicators on each side can be seen by the driver from the drivers seat.

You may need to get this sorted Abs unless the Cooper shows the indicators in the wing mirrors as they would be visible....

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

If it's just a dashboard bulb I'd pop a new one in. Of course, if it's an early car the warning light is on the end of the stalk.
You don't need audible warning.
GLWMoT

My 190 was failed for the left dash indicator bulb years ago. Since then the right bulb has gone but has made it through at least 4 MOT's. Depends on the tester.

Reading the inspection manual linked to above, the indicators tell-tale can be visual or audible. So as long as the car beeps/ticks ....

Do I remember my moms mini from when I was a kid had a flashing light on the end of the indicator stalk ??? Or was that on one of any one of the other old bangers my dad used to 'salvage' in the road outside the flats of my childhood ?? :)

P.S The 2006 Toyota Yaris we now have as a family 'jump in and drive' car has the most silent indicator relay I have (not) heard, it is very easy to leave the indicators on when they are in the situation of non self cancelling. So much in fact that I am in the process of wiring a small tell tale 12V buzzer into the car to warn the driver that they are still on.

irrespective of whether the car will pass an MOT it is not roadworthy if you can not tell when an indicator is on. It needs to be fixed urgently IMO.

For brief period between approx. 1976 and 1979 motorcycles were required to have audible indicators. I don't know Why they stopped doing it because I find the beeper invaluable on my 79 BMW. It can be very dangerous to leave indicators on.

For brief period between approx. 1976 and 1979 motorcycles were required to have audible indicators. I don't know Why they stopped doing it because I find the beeper invaluable on my 79 BMW. It can be very dangerous to leave indicators on.
They invented self cancelling ones on some bikes , but I know exactly where you are coming from . On older bikes with a tiny yellow lamp on the instruments leaving them flashing was easily done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom