MOT Retests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ldare

Car
2007 R320 CDI Sport / 2003 270ML CDI Inspiration
Hi
I had a free MOT at my local Mercedes Garage in Swansea. It failed as nsf brake was binding. Pads were ok. Mercedes wouldnt dream of trying to free the caliper instead wanting £560!!! Id rather pay £40 for a full mot locally than pay £27 for a retest. But can another garage do a partial MOT or only the original garage? It failed Monday.

Ta

Hi
I had a free MOT at my local Mercedes Garage in Swansea. It failed as nsf brake was binding. Pads were ok. Mercedes wouldnt dream of trying to free the caliper instead wanting £560!!! Id rather pay £40 for a full mot locally than pay £27 for a retest. But can another garage do a partial MOT or only the original garage? It failed Monday.

Ta

Not sure what your asking? If your cars currently not got an MOT you should be okay driving it to another 'prebooked MOT appointment at a centre' I don't see any problems with another centre carrying out the MOT...

But probably better to wait for someone else to reply as there will be people with far more experience than me

Cheers

Not sure what your asking? If your cars currently not got an MOT you should be okay driving it to another 'prebooked MOT appointment at a centre' I don't see any problems with another centre carrying out the MOT...

But probably better to wait for someone else to reply as there will be people with far more experience than me

Cheers

I still have ages on the mot, until 31st. Id rather full mot locally (£40) than pay 50% of MOT price to Mercedes (£27) for a retest. Just wondered if I could pay locally for a 'restest' . It'll cost me for than £13 in time and petrol to go back to Mercedes. Sounds like I pay full price locally. No such thing as a free MOT I guess. I wont do that again next year.

Ta

I still have ages on the mot, until 31st. Id rather full mot locally (£40) than pay 50% of MOT price to Mercedes (£27) for a retest. Just wondered if I could pay locally for a 'restest' . It'll cost me for than £13 in time and petrol to go back to Mercedes. Sounds like I pay full price locally. No such thing as a free MOT I guess. I wont do that again next year.

Ta

You will need to pay the full cost for an MOT test at your local centre I suppose?

As above: - Pay for full test at a separate garage, or suck it up and have it retested at the original garage.

I thought the policy was a free re-test if the car was returned to the original test station within 10 days? - I normally take mine home, work on it, then take it back for the retest before the 10th day... unless it's going to be far more work (then it sits on axle stands until I get to it).

As above: - Pay for full test at a separate garage, or suck it up and have it retested at the original garage.

I thought the policy was a free re-test if the car was returned to the original test station within 10 days? - I normally take mine home, work on it, then take it back for the retest before the 10th day... unless it's going to be far more work (then it sits on axle stands until I get to it).

MOT website say a garage can charge for a retest.......I dont think many do.....but then not many garages charge £140 p/h labour either........ Mercedes's free MOT offer has simply put me off going back ever again.

If you really want can't you repair it elsewhere and take it back to MB for the reduced price retest?

If I were you I'd just stump up the 13£ and have it tested locally, life's to short to worry about these things.

If you really want can't you repair it elsewhere and take it back to MB for the reduced price retest?

If I were you I'd just stump up the 13£ and have it tested locally, life's to short to worry about these things.

I think you have missed my point and actually ended up unlining what I am saying.

What I was stating was no matter what , I am going local for a mot certificate as my time is valuable. I wasnt sure if I needed to book a full MOT or if I could simply take my MOT fail paperwork and have a local garage do a retest. (To save time). In theory as all testers carry out the same level of training and the data is stored online there's no real reason why a retest cant be done at a different garage. Had Mercedes offered a free retest I would have suffered another journey to Swansea Marine, however as you say I'm more than happy to pay £13 extra to have it done at the end of the road.

Only the garage which failed the vehicle can carry out a retest

I think it's probably more accurate to say "Only the tester who failed the vehicle can carry out a retest.". - Unless they've got more than one qualified tester, that effectively means it's the same garage.

If you think of it in terms of a person who has performed the test, then they have to check that repairs have been made before closing the test off.

As others have said, and as I think you're expecting, a different MOT test station will perform the MOT all over again (from scratch), and so it will take as long and cost as much as a full MOT at that test station.

If I was an MOT tester or owned an MOT test station, then I would want to perform the test myself rather than accept the assessment of another tester and test station. If they missed something, but my name is on the MOT, then I would be responsible for any consequences.

PS I wouldn't mention the first (failed) MOT, I'd just get the brakes looked at, and book it in at another test station. They'll probably be able to see that it failed online if they looked, but I would prefer a full and objective assessment of the car's road worthiness.

PS I wouldn't mention the first (failed) MOT, I'd just get the brakes looked at, and book it in at another test station. They'll probably be able to see that it failed online if they looked, but I would prefer a full and objective assessment of the car's road worthiness.
This is also works when you think the failure was unreasonable (or the number of things it failed on was unreasonable).

Some testers just don't like a car; the Nissan has had two pages of failures reduced to two lines by a different test station.

Only the mot station that issued the fail can retest.
You have 10 days to get the work done (anywhere) without having a full test again.
If you have remaining mot at time of fail it is void so you now have no mot.
Personally I would get the brakes checked, seized slider on the carrier or worst case a caliper then retest at merc and get your mot.

Passed locally. :)

I don't know if I'd agree with you there Bobby. I would be open, show them the failure from the previous garage. Two things could happen if you don't...

1. They fully test the car and fail it on something else entirely, creating a whole load of further discomfort, and probably another ten pages of discussion on here ;)

2. They see on their system that it was tested somewhere else recently and suspect it to be a DVLA "plant", therefore going over it with a fine toothed comb just incase they are being tested.

A full and frank explanation of how it was failed with an excessive quote for repair will draw the sympathy of the independent tester and probably get him moaning on about these guys getting the whole industry a bad name. You'll gain a friend in the trade and a fair test the next time :thumb:

If you have remaining mot at time of fail it is void so you now have no mot.

This is incorrect.

From the DVLA Website today: https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

Driving a vehicle that’s failed

You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

have the failed defects fixed
a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.

Council MOT testing centres get good reviews as they do not do repairs so not interested in failing cars to make money

MOT Test - Council MOT Test Centres in UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom