MOT rip-off: what to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kusanku

Car
A180cdi Avant Garde
I took my car for an MOT test on friday, to a testing centre round the corner from where I work. I have used them before, and the car has always passed. I was really surprised this time to be told that the car had failed due to excessive play in one of the front ball-joints. As I have a local indie I trust, who have just serviced the car, I decided to take it there to get the ball-joint changed rather than leave it with the MOT testers. They phoned me at lunch-time to say that they had checked it over, and there was nothing wrong with the ball-joint at all. They took the car to their local MOT centre, where it passed.

I phoned the original testing centre, who said the person who tested the car was not in today (how convenient), so I am wondering what to do next. I intend to ask them for a refund of the test fee, which I am sure they will not be willing to give. However, I also feel inclined to report them. Does anyone know which authority I need to contact to do this?

I took my car for an MOT test on friday, to a testing centre round the corner from where I work. I have used them before, and the car has always passed. I was really surprised this time to be told that the car had failed due to excessive play in one of the front ball-joints. As I have a local indie I trust, who have just serviced the car, I decided to take it there to get the ball-joint changed rather than leave it with the MOT testers. They phoned me at lunch-time to say that they had checked it over, and there was nothing wrong with the ball-joint at all. They took the car to their local MOT centre, where it passed.

I phoned the original testing centre, who said the person who tested the car was not in today (how convenient), so I am wondering what to do next. I intend to ask them for a refund of the test fee, which I am sure they will not be willing to give. However, I also feel inclined to report them. Does anyone know which authority I need to contact to do this?

Contact VOSA and report the test station and tester give them a copy of the failure sheet and the new MOT and I guarantee they will investigate. People like this give the good testers a bad name deliberately trying to create work for no reason.

Leave it with VOSA I guarantee you will get the result you want.

Contact VOSA and report the test station and tester give them a copy of the failure sheet and the new MOT and I guarantee they will investigate. People like this give the good testers a bad name deliberately trying to create work for no reason.

Leave it with VOSA I guarantee you will get the result you want.

Of course, you will never be able to use them again really.

Then again, why would you?

We use a local Vauxhall dealer for MOTs and some repairs as its only 100m from our office and the guys are generally friendly and helpful. However they failed my wifes car on low rear brake pads, I took the car away to put a new set in, only to find the brake pads they failed were hardly worn at all, as I had the new set I put them in anyway. I took the car back for retesting and took the old pads with me to show they still had plenty of life left. The MOT tester was not in that day but it was explained to me that its impossible to see the pads properly :wallbash:, so I asked how can it fail if it cant be seen, I just got waffle then. There were no problems with the brake test. Its a shame these things happens just to create work, I thought about reporting to VOSA but I didnt want to stir up any trouble as we use them all the time. However if it was a garage I only used for MOTs then I would report them and go elsewhere.

I had a knocking from the front of the car (320CDi) and no-one...I mean NO-ONE could find it. Main dealer, MOT station, laser wheel alignment guys, me, NOBODY. Eventually the guy that changes my tyres at the house found both bottom ball joints to have excessive wear. He had the knowledge and the technique of where to put the lever in. seemples when you know how.
Moral is...don't dismiss one MOT station against another. Maybe the first had the knowledge and the second didn't? You could end up with egg on face. ;)

I had a knocking from the front of the car (320CDi) and no-one...I mean NO-ONE could find it. Main dealer, MOT station, laser wheel alignment guys, me, NOBODY. Eventually the guy that changes my tyres at the house found both bottom ball joints to have excessive wear. He had the knowledge and the technique of where to put the lever in. seemples when you know how.
Moral is...don't dismiss one MOT station against another. Maybe the first had the knowledge and the second didn't? You could end up with egg on face. ;)

Spot on advice. It's all in the technique

Thinking about it,it could also be the first test station was an automatic one ATL and the second a manual,so the ATL picked it up but the second tester didn't.

I'd still report it though giving VOSA all the facts to investigate properly as clearly something is wrong with kit, procedure or tester at one of them.

If you have had the fault repaired, then there is no longer any evidence to support your claim. The word of another garage is not enough. I do not think VOSA would do anything other than ask the original garage their version of events, case closed.

Russ

If you have had the fault repaired, then there is no longer any evidence to support your claim. The word of another garage is not enough. I do not think VOSA would do anything other than ask the original garage their version of events, case closed.

Russ

The fault wasn't repaired though was it? I read it as the Indie checked the car didn't find a problem took it for test where it passed with the same ball jont as on the first test :dk:

Exactly the same thing happened to me. In October 2009 I took my car to the local MB stealership to MOT, they were doing an offer of £27 for the MOT, and as I had only bought the car two months earlier I thought it would be worthwhile letting them take a look. They failed the car with excessive play to front offside & nearside suspension ball joints, also an issue with a corroded exhaust bracket which they said they couldn't fix as they didn't do repairs, only replacement, so quoted me £750 for the work.

I took the car away to my local garage who service my wife's car, they said it was a simple repair to the exhaust bracket, and the suspension ball joints were fine. MOT was done at another local MOT station, final bill was £50!

I had the most recent MOT inspection in October 2010 at another MOT station that has offered to do MOTs for £25 for a number of years now with a promise that they will not find unnecessary work to do, and if they do find work you can take it to another garage to be fixed. Car passed with no advisories, so that's two different MOT stations, and no mention of issues with the suspension ball joints other than at the MB stealership. :confused:

I recently bought an SL500and being 7 yrs old i took it to my local independent MB dealer who instantly told me that I had excessive wear on my suspension ball joints. To say I was miffed would be an understatement!

The problem is that they are joined to the whole suspension strut and they cost about 1k each there I'm discussing this with the dealer who sold me the car as he should not have sold the car in this condition.

A concurent activity, I'm talking to Trading Standards who are advising me.

A question for you more technical people, is it possible to repair the ball joints without replacing the struts?

Martyn

I recently bought an SL500and being 7 yrs old i took it to my local independent MB dealer who instantly told me that I had excessive wear on my suspension ball joints. To say I was miffed would be an understatement!

The problem is that they are joined to the whole suspension strut and they cost about 1k each there I'm discussing this with the dealer who sold me the car as he should not have sold the car in this condition.

A concurent activity, I'm talking to Trading Standards who are advising me.

A question for you more technical people, is it possible to repair the ball joints without replacing the struts?

Martyn

My local MB stealership said it was about £200 to replace the ball joints, the £500 difference was for replacing, rather than repairing, one section of the exhaust at the rear.

It depends on what joint has play as there are a few "ball joints" atthe front. I would get a second opinion firstly.

Problem with the MOT is 2/3 of the test is opinionated, worn to excess, play to excess, rusted to excess and so on. My opinion of excess may differ from yours so we have the potential for conflicts of opinion.

You have the right to appeal after the test and the test station have to invite VOSA to the centre on your behalf. Obviously in the intrime period you must not have the car repaired.

The VOSA representative will whitness another test on your car and then decide if the test was fair, in the event VOSA support your complaint the testing station pays for the test.

In my years involed with MOT's there was two prominent rules testers seem to forget...
1: Do not set your own standards
2: If in doubt about a particular item, then it's a pass!!

The fault wasn't repaired though was it? I read it as the Indie checked the car didn't find a problem took it for test where it passed with the same ball jont as on the first test :dk:

I should have read it properly, my mistake.
I just had a ball joint replaced on mine by an Indie, £168 all in. I phoned my nearest MB dealer for a price, but they never even phoned back despite saying they would.

Russ

Last edited:

The problem is that they are joined to the whole suspension strut and they cost about 1k each.
Martyn

Really? I've never seen this. If the strut is attached to the balljoint how do you separate the strut from the wishbone? I'm not saying its not true, but I now need to go and look at the fische to understand this.

Spike,

I'm experiencing a banging when braking or going over bumps.
The garage got me under the car and pulled the suspension arms up and down demonstrating the banging, the diagnosis being the ball joint at the bottom of the strut showing excessive wear (appologies for incorrect terminology).
Proposed solution, replacement of the balljoint which just happens to be attached to the suspension strut (total cost £2.5k for the pair).
If people think the joint can be replaced - fantastic.

I'm a little stressed about the whole experience and having to deal with the dealer etc

Martyn

Russ

I took the car to the garage to get the fault repaired, and they phoned me back to say there was no fault. The car then went to an MOT station, who confirmed this and passed the car. I will contact the initial MOT station again tomorrow and request a refund of the fee they charged me. If they refuse, then I will go via VOSA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom