Mot , service and gearbox service .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OneForTheRoad

MB Enthusiast
Car
2019 Glc coupe 350d was 2017 e350 c207 .. +65 ford kuga 2.0 cdi zetec awd..
B7 flagged up the other day . Gearbox oil service , mot and full service due also.

£380 for gearbox , mot and service with Arnold Clarke service plan .

If the TC is drained ,how much oil will it then take , the indie informs me if a TC drain plug is present it will be drained . Other Indies around me quoting £470 with TC drain or £360 without.

3.5L I believe on the 7g older boxes in the TC
Mines 9g , service kit for it on eBay is 7 litres . So you think the receipt should show maybe 10 litres used ?

Some kits on ebay have 10 litres for the 9g box.

My 7g tronic + took nearly 9 litres after draining the TQ.

is the gbox service not part of the service plan
my thoughts exactly i assumed it was included in the service plan thats the whole point of them to spread the servicing costs.

my thoughts exactly i assumed it was included in the service plan thats the whole point of them to spread the servicing costs.

Dont know if the AC service plan is as comprehensive as the manufacturers plan , it seems they only do a standard minor (engine oil etc) or standard major service (engine oil + main filters etc).

Contacted my local AC Ford regarding a three year service + first MOT for the boys Fiesta. The manufacturers main service + MOT was £500 (for a 1.0L) , the AC main service + MOT was £250 , when i asked why the main service was so expensive for 1.0L engine the girl stated - "we change all the plugs , you know" - all three of them :rolleyes:

We are only going to the Ford main dealer for an MOT incase it fails on anything that is covered under the three year warranty.

K

Screenshot_20220209-193934.png

Yes. If you have a service plan and an ATF change is due it will be covered. Just the same as brake fluid and spark plug changes.
Brake discs and pads unfortunately aren't.

Edit, just read following posts so can't speak for AC service plans. I have experience only of main dealers.

well AC service plans are a load of junk then if you ask me. So what of you have a goodwill claim. Sorry sir car hasnt been serviced properly. I would then assume you don't maintain mobilo with AC.

Worrying if your mercedes independent doesn't know if the TC has a drain plug
Some TC do some TC don't , as for worry lol. Not at all , merely covering all bases to make sure the TC is drained . That ok for you ?

I think the 7g is about 7.5L total , half in the sump , half in the TC (small amount in the cooler) .
I can’t help with the 9g
@Justintyme might have a 9g he has serviced ?
I bought 20 Ltrs for changing the oil in my 772.9G, will check tomorrow how much is left in the container. I changed both the TC and the trans itself. If ( or when you are doing it ) some points to follow: Car on Lift, ready to begin. Trans in "P" , hand brake on. Get trans up to temp ( 45c, 722.9 trans), open drain plug and see what ( if any ) comes out. If any drips out, wait until it stops. ( all drained fluid must be collected., its important when it comes to refilling ). This will also show if the trans was overfilled or underfilled prior to you changing the fluid. It will also give you a guide as to how much fluid you need to put in for the initial fill after changing the old fluid.

All automatics transmissions have drainable TC's....its just some belong to the time when MB in their wisdom, decided that the fluid never would need in the life of tghne vehicle...and therefore would not need any of that drain plug / dipstick rubbish. But in time, when they realised the error of their ways ( not all life times have the same definition ) they then started to put the drain plugs back in the TC's. So in the 722.6 5 speed trans, ( sans drain plug) you have to disconnect one of the oil cooler feed pipes, run the engine, pump out two litres, replace with new f;uid, repeat until the new fluid appears......a very wastefull and expensive operation. Then in the 722.9 trans, they did have a drain plug fitted to the TC. so a much simpler ( and less expensive) operation.

I still wonder who made the decision to omit the drain plug , especially as it was already there . In engineering things don't just disappear , someone (probably a bean counter) figured out that a few quid could be saved on each TC by omitting the part of the manufacturing process that drilled , tapped and plugged the drain hole.

But it must have been a design team who ultimately decided on a 'sealed for life transmission' so gave the OK to omit the drain plug.

Not the biggest engineering disaster in the history of humankind I know. But whoever they are I hope they realise the error of their ways and repent !! :p

Ok, as promised, I checked what remains in the 20 Ltr Transmission fluid container, and it's 10.5 Ltrs, so 9.5 ltrs used in the actual change. Bear in mind though, I didn't change the oil in the cooler, so you will need to allow another 2 or 2.5 ltrs for that, if you change it.

Yes Pete,, or the genius(s) who decided first to switch the timing gear from the front to the rear of the BMW N47 engine... ( another for life design,,,)and use cheap plastic guides and tensioners for the chain. Now compared to that, the MB trans TC drain plug ( or lack of ) was only a minor issue...:);)

Onefortheroad.. The 7 ltrs you mention, is only for a trans change I'd say, and that does not include the TC drain and much less the oil cooler....... My 7g change ( trans + TC ) took 9.5 ltrs...and I did not do the oil cooler radiator. Beware.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom