Mot, smoke from exhaust question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MSG2004

Car
GLE, AMG Line
Hello
I bought the car new in April 2016 and it has covered just over 10k. FSH via MB.

I took the car in about April/March as I feel it throws out too much smoke/condensation.
MB checked it fully and no fault found. When the car was about 6 months old the coolant did go low and the warning light came on, MB filled up and felt it was an airlock and they fully checked at the time.
The smoke/condensation goes away in hot weather.

With the new mot thing and many cars failing on emissions, I am a bit worried.

Has anyone with a relatively new MB 250d auto had this problem?

In the cooler weather even when fully up to temp when parked at junctions/lights/etc the is quite a bit of smoke/steam.

Thanks

PS - light greyish in colour no smell I think.

Edit

I wouldn't worry too much about excess condensation from your tailpipes this time of year.

Well your car is lightly used ,and so this time of the year exhausts contain a lot of condensation,if you give that a decent run at near the speed limit and after that the exhaust is spewing out steam then you can get worried

Hi
got the problem again today then stopped after a few mins. Started about 6/7 mins driving as I slowed down noted it. Started/stopped car several times them moved off drove 5 mins stopped, car seem to be ok than slightly higher idel I think

Burning petrol or diesel will produce water vapour (not steam)in the exhaust gases. Clearly in the lower temperatures of Autumn and Winter these gases will condense more easily so the water vapour is more noticeable as you are describing.

Diesel engines also take longer to achieve full operating temperature than petrol engines as they are thermodynamically more efficient and will therefore take even longer to achieve normal operating temperature when the air temperatures are lower.

You really should have been advised to have a petrol engine as your annual mileage is nowhere near the level that makes diesel a sensible choice.

Thanks. Like I said it's a lot more than the usual stuff I had it when the car was a few months old they could not really find anything wrong.
Had nox replaced 500 miles ago
some pics as i can ipload the video

the first picture is on idle then accelerator 20% pressed or a bit more.

Weather was about 9C. When it happened the first time the temp was about 14C.
When the nox sensor went about 500 miles ago a few months ago temp was over 20C nd there was similar smoke when the car was hotter and water from the exhaust.
Thanks
Got a video but not sure how to uplaod

Attachments

• mb1.jpg
    mb1.jpg
    621.7 KB · Views: 23
  • mb2.jpg
    mb2.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 23
  • mb3.jpg
    mb3.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 23
  • mb4.jpg
    mb4.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 23
btw, the car was working fine afterwards slightly higher revs by about 100 and not started again as yet. Initial smoke looked lighter blue but is normally grey as in other pics

Very helpful

It’s normal.

If you put your hand loosely over the tailpipe you will see the condensation on your hand.

Take it for a run and let it get up to temperature and it will quickly fade.

Reactions: 219
To have covered only 10,000 MLS in almost four years I doubt the car has ever reached proper operating temp.must always be DPF ing, from stop start bus stop motoring, not surprised the sensor was replaced it's always regenerating, it runs at an extra 100 rpm to get more heat in exhaust to burn off the soot deposits, if once a week you gave it a good blast up the motorway for half an hour things would greatly improve, try it.
Good luck. :thumb:

To have covered only 10,000 MLS in almost four years I doubt the car has ever reached proper operating temp.must always be DPF ing, from stop start bus stop motoring, not surprised the sensor was replaced it's always regenerating, it runs at an extra 100 rpm to get more heat in exhaust to burn off the soot deposits, if once a week you gave it a good blast up the motorway for half an hour things would greatly improve, try it.
Good luck. :thumb:
Thanks
We did 4 trips to Leeds this year about 350 miles round in a day and one to Brum 180 or so miles - usually shops and back.
did take to work when i worked 4 miles up and back and short trips to peoples property.

I've never seen smoke or whatever it is from another new, newish MB. The reason I bought this car as I could not afford the petrol version at 80 odd k's this was lot less than that when i bought new.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom