MOT tests in NI suspended with immediate effect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bob6600

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Wow, quite a disaster, what happens for people looking to buy a used car?

Why do they use a lift ? The MOT in NI must be the same as UK , no ? Lifting a car during an MOT is just a waste of time and money. A proper MOT inspection pit is all that is required. 48 out of 55 lifts cracking ? are MOT's not carried out by private garages in NI ? Is it a government thing ? Hence all of the approved lifts failing at the same time :dk:

In Southern Ireland all MOT are government run, I have a cousin who works in one. NI perhaps followed the same model.

Now if only it could have happened here, I have my MOT booked for tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Why do they use a lift ? The MOT in NI must be the same as UK , no ? Lifting a car during an MOT is just a waste of time and money. A proper MOT inspection pit is all that is required. 48 out of 55 lifts cracking ? are MOT's not carried out by private garages in NI ? Is it a government thing ? Hence all of the approved lifts failing at the same time :dk:
Many sites here in UK don't have a pit, it's common to use a two or four post lift, and with complex suspension modern lifts also incorporate shaker plates so the suspension can be tested under load conditions for signs of wear.

As above, the test center I've been had both a pit and lift with shaker, heavier vehicles obviously use the pit. There's no testing at private run garages as England, NI test also don't show on the GOV site.

As above, the test center I've been had both a pit and lift with shaker, heavier vehicles obviously use the pit. There's no testing at private run garages as England, NI test also don't show on the GOV site.
Thats odd because my friend owns a garage and he does MOT's , he is part way through getting his van MOT station up and running as well and has carried out over 30 MOT's for me over the years.
The Test is obviously a 'government' one but he owns the business and paid for all the kit - including the pit- he has been doing it for years and maintains an approved pit is all you need . The car has to be on the floor for the roller brake check (including handbrake) , the headlamp alignment check, the emissions test. In a pit you can lift the front and rear axles in seconds with the cross pit jack and the front wheels are on pivot plates for left to right steering checks under load.

None of this can be done on a lift . The idea of putting a car on a lift for a small part of its MOT then driving it off to do the floor based tests in another bay makes no sense in mechanic time or use of key garage infrastructure . If the building is purely for MOT testing this might make sense as it would have been designed with this in mind but in most garages that repair and service cars the time on the lift/hoist is precious ££.

Problem with Pits now in a garage is all the H&S stuff related to this, yes they are quick and easy but covering, signing, setting barriers etc. so that someone not aware does not fall in can be time consuming.
Then there is the ventilation question, with heavier gases pooling in the bottom of the pit there can be fire/explosion risks.

Thats odd because my friend owns a garage and he does MOT's , he is part way through getting his van MOT station up and running as well and has carried out over 30 MOT's for me over the years.
The Test is obviously a 'government' one but he owns the business and paid for all the kit - including the pit- he has been doing it for years and maintains an approved pit is all you need . The car has to be on the floor for the roller brake check (including handbrake) , the headlamp alignment check, the emissions test. In a pit you can lift the front and rear axles in seconds with the cross pit jack and the front wheels are on pivot plates for left to right steering checks under load.

None of this can be done on a lift

My MOT tester has being doing that for decades - on a lift. I'm sure others do it that way too.

The idea of putting a car on a lift for a small part of its MOT then driving it off to do the floor based tests in another bay makes no sense in mechanic time or use of key garage infrastructure . If the building is purely for MOT testing this might make sense as it would have been designed with this in mind but in most garages that repair and service cars the time on the lift/hoist is precious ££.

Fine, but the car on a ramp needs a mechanic and the mechanic is conducting an MOT test at a better hourly rate than can be earned doing repairs.

Also, as already mentioned, pits have their own significant dangers.

My MOT tester has being doing that for decades - on a lift. I'm sure others do it that way too.

Fine, but the car on a ramp needs a mechanic and the mechanic is conducting an MOT test at a better hourly rate than can be earned doing repairs.

And a lift doesn't have inherent dangers ! a Lifting a car is FAR more hazardous than using a properly built pit

Please explain how the brake checks and headlamp alignment is done with the car 6 feet up in the air .

MOT test @ £55 taking one hour.
Are garages charging £55/hour for repairs?

In my neck of the woods, the MOT tester is the mechanic.
Then in your neck of the woods the garage is wasting money using a fully qualified mechanic to do MOT tests. Their time is far too valuable for that.

And a lift doesn't have inherent dangers ! a Lifting a car is FAR more hazardous than using a properly built pit

Have you extensive experience of a pit?

Unless laboriously cordoned off when not in use they represent a huge fall hazard. They also trap some fumes - usually explosive ones.

Trusting a well maintained lift is as simple as trusting a braking system. Both are mechanical and when properly maintained do what they are supposed to.

Then in your neck of the woods the garage is wasting money using a fully qualified mechanic to do MOT tests. Their time is far too valuable for that.

So employ an MOT tester who will stand around doing zip when there isn't a car to test as he isn't a mechanic capable of regular repair work. Aye, that'll work.

Our local MOT testers (ones I'm friendly with) drive car in and stop at rolling road/brake tester where they do emissions test.
They then drive onto rolling road and test brakes, and headlights.

Then they drive onto a four post ramp and do other checks as well as being able to lift front and rear axles with a Jack on the ramp to do suspension checks.

As above - MOTs are usually done in a pit?

Also - do all MOT test centres in NI use the same brand of lifts? It's all a bit perplexing. What of similar lifts installed in privately-owned garages - surely they are a safety risk as well?

Yes I have , at my mates garage. The pit has been professionally installed for MOT use. He never lifts a car (on either of his premises ) for an MOT His MOT guys are fully trained and aware of the hazards of working in and around a pit, the do it all day long.

Trusting a lift is fine (I wish I had space for one and would never want a pit in my garage) but from a time/£ point of view using a PIT for MOT is the way to go. I know a lift is always better than a pit for repair/service work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom