MOT then gearbox repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accused

Car
CL500 2005
Well my 2005 cl500 goes for MOT tomorrow then in to AMF next week for a gearbox repair, all being well I'll treat to an oil change after with mercedes oil and a Mann filter. Enjoying the car a lot and so far maintenance has been roughly what I anticipated on an old and complex car.
Still haven't found the cause of the engine whistling noise at around 1200rpm though.

The gearbox repair didn't go as well as the MOT sadly. It had new speed sensors on the TCU, new oil and gearbox sump but it didn't cure it. Collected it about 4pm and around 30 minutes into the journey home the same fault occurred leaving me stuck in gear 3 on the A21.
It's now back at AMF and unfortunately going to be more expense.
Had it diagnosed which cost around £100, went ahead with the repair for £747 and the fault remains.
Falling out of love with the car.

Last edited:
As you said, it's an old and complex car. It's a bit of a lottery with a car like that, because there's so much to go wrong; expensive high-end cars get cheaper as they get older, but their running costs don't...

I presume when you say AMF you mean Alex at AMF automotive? He's a knowledgeable chap with many happy customers, and I'd trust him to tackle the jobs in the most pragmatic way in the most cost efficient manner.

If I was being really harsh, spending £850 to not rectify the fault, which includes paying £100 for not diagnosing would have me falling out of love with AMF (said with some humour, and some seriousness).
Put it this way, if they had been able to do the job first time, and you have paid £850, and it was all now sorted, how would you feel?
If you go back, I'd be inclined to ask for the next diagnosis fee to be waived. And I'd personally give Alex another crack at it if it is Alex.
Has the garage explained why they did what they did and does it all sound plausible?

However, to be a bit fairer to the garage, I don't know how much of the other stuff might be justified. E.g. if it was something close to needing a gearbox service, that's just been brought forward slightly, and if it would have soon been necessary, that's almost not really counted as a cost of 'repairing' the fault, but bringing forward the gearbox service slightly to rule it out. You have only paid the value you lost due to the early service and I would be surprised if for example a gearbox service was recommended if you had only had a gearbox service 6 months ago.
Why did they change the sump pan?

Any other clues as to the fault? Did you get notified of any fault codes from STAR?

Please keep us updated 👍

I'm understandably disappointed with the outcome but I have to emphasise this.
I am more than happy with AMF (Alex), he has waived a lot of the cost of this next repair based on what happened Today which he did not have to do, so I'm very grateful.
He in fact did the repair Today which was cheaper than doing the whole lot that most other garages would have done regardless.
From what my limited understanding is what he did today has cured the issue I had in all previous cases of this fault he has seen.
In other words he could have said initially its X amount and changed the lot with zero risk but much greater cost.
Yes a bit of me is sulking at what I thought was a diagnosis and repair all done and dusted, which has now left me car less again and costing considerably more than quoted initially.
Sump was rusty and very wise to replace.

Again AMF are my absolute first choice and remain so for any work on my car but...its a rubbish day!

Last edited:
I don’t know AFM so can’t comment, but that does sound crap. I see you’re in Wilmington, if you get stuck or want a second opinion, Dartford Transmissions are brilliant and my go to place for auto trans work.

Good luck getting it sorted.

I managed to get enough petrol to collect, very happy journey back with a gearbox performing as it should. Thank you AMF.
The only fly in the ointment, it now has a horrible squeak rear passenger suspension, the never ending saga of old CL500 Mercs.
I am hoping it sitting around a couple of weeks may have caused it and it'll go away with use (wishful thinking)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom