MOT To Be Much More Expensive.

Discussion in 'Mercedes News' started by hawk20, Oct 18, 2011.

1. hawk20

hawk20 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013

Auto Express has learned from the Department for Transport that it will be required under EU law to test electronic stability control systems (ESC – also called ESP) in any car in which it is fitted, regardless of the date of manufacture or whether the system was an optional extra. And the cost to repair ESC can run into thousands of pounds.

Reader John Wilkinson, from Dunstable, Beds, was given a quote of £1,733 to fix the faulty system on his 2005 Vauxhall Astra.

If John chose not to fix it, his car would be judged ‘unroadworthy’ next year – even though it would be considered fit for the road had he chosen not to tick the £399 ESC option when he first bought the car.

And ESC isn’t the only technology that will be checked in MoT tests next year. Airbags, power steering, catalytic converters and factory-fitted tyre pressure monitoring systems will also be checked. You’ll find full details of the changes in next week’s Auto Express, released on 19 October 2011.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/273961/mot_test_shakeup.html#ixzz1bAhoeJ9Y

9 people like this.
  2. dinoy

dinoy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    mercedes of course
    i wonder when they will force our mercedes of the road instead tax exempt status

3. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Surely in reality this will simply mean the MOT tester checking for ESC , AIRBAG and other warning lights on the dash at ignition on /engine on ? they won't have the sophisticated equipment to test them fully anyway. Why would you want people driving around in a car with defective safety systems anyway? :dk: As usual we focus on legislation designed to make motoring safer instead of the scandalous prices charged by manufacturers for the mass produced electronic assemblies found in their cars. I'm sorry sir it appears that your ESP unit has failed - yes that's the same basic circuitry developed by Bosch/Teves/ Bendix- [you chose ] ---that's fitted in hundreds of thousands of Mercedes,BMW, Audi, Opel, Volvo cars round the world-- that will be £50 for a new one then thanks.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
    2 people like this.
  4. moonloops

moonloops MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C350 CDI AMG Sport
    More cars off the road = more space for me

yours - Roadcaptain

:D

p.s. are they not testing for aftermarket HIDS also.

5. SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon MB Club Veteran

Car:
    1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
    hmmm, more decent cars crushed for no real reason. nice one Government! :doh:

6. Grahamcol

Grahamcol Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2000 W202 C280 and 2001 SLK230
    Having looked at the regulations, it would seem that the ESP system itself (+ airbags) isn't checked, merely a check that the warning light/s are operative and that they extinguish when they're supposed to. I can't see too many problems with this, especially as the ESP is allied to the ABS/BAS which is already testable anyway. In fact, more or less all of the 2012 changes, like steering lock working properly etc.,don't seem too worrying to me, at least and I would guess that the vast majority of reasonably well maintained members cars here will pass without difficulty.

7. Palfrem

Palfrem Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
    All this means is the usual story.

Law abiding citizens pay more whilst the scrotes continue to ignore the law with impunity.
    Will result in more non-"roadworthy" cars on the road - and possibly now uninsured too.

8. Palfrem

Car:
  9. nick mercedes

nick mercedes MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
    7 people like this.
  10. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    There was a classic line in Rab C Nesbitt last week when he's being "interviewed" at the Job Centre and told to get a job. The woman doing the interview says, "I'm a black, lesbian, Muslim, wheelchair user, and I got a job". Rab's response? "Exactly, I don't have your advantages".

Priceless :D

11. moonloops

moonloops MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C350 CDI AMG Sport
    You missed out "orphan" :thumb:

12. Palfrem

Car:
    and transgender

13. p1nny

p1nny Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    c220 CDI Avantgarde
    and BMW driving :p

14. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
  15. Palfrem

Car:
    just the 4 offences of no insurance.

Well, I suspect his driving is unlikely to reflect his wish to not compromise his hard won NCB.

16. Ianswing

Ianswing Active Member

w/yorks with 2nd home in spain ..... (caravan actu
    Car:
    Merc C-class 220
    thats actually a pretty good cross section of some areas of donny lol :thumb:

17. MOCAŠ

MOCAŠ MB Club Veteran

Car:
    SLK
    There's an element of a self-fulfilling prophecy about this.

As the number of points accrued starts to rise above 12, so the chances of a driver being able to obtain affordable (or any) insurance diminishes, and the likelihood that he will just continue to drive without it increases. I don't suppose any insurance company would cover a driver with 20 or more points without demanding a king's ransom.

So by allowing a driver to retain his licence with so many points on it, the courts are to some extent enticing him to drive without insurance. You'd have thought that after the second or third offence this would have clicked and his licence would have been revoked.

Of course, who's to say he wouldn't have just carried on driving anyway, with or without a licence...

1 person likes this.
  18. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    Even worse than Doncaster (and that's saying something) the driver's from Bradford.....

19. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    I once watched a driver who had no insurance (after several bans for drunk driving) as well as driving while banned several times get his just deserts with 5 weeks in the slammer. He just crumpled into the floor at the verdict, in a way eerily reminiscent of a Russian I saw down a bottle of vodka and several other drinks in Moscow. I blame his brief, who was so irritatingly dull, he deserved to go down.

20. Tiff

Tiff Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart Fortwo Passion
    Now I'm not doing MOT tests any more, I have to take my cars and bikes to a local place to get MOT'd. They are welcome to have a really close in depth inspection of my ESP/ABS system 1.0.

[​IMG]

Tags: