MOT Today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Denis O

Car
SL350 R230
The SL has it's MOT this morning at Halfords, in Ashford.

Fingers and toes crossed everyone please.

Our QQ+2 is in for its MOT and service tomorrow

It should be okay......

I wonder how many cars, each day go in for Mots?

Crossed all twelve for you.

I always panic over MOT's even when i know there is nothing wrong with the car, they make me feel like i'm waiting for bad results from the doctor.

Had the S204 MoT'd at Halfords Ashford last week (been getting both cars MoT'd there for 10 years now, thanks to Tesco Clubcard vouchers!), sailed through with no advisories and no attempt to upsell (they've never tried that on either car). Couple of days later she was at Mastertech for annual service, £130+VAT for an A service and a further £150+VAT to supply and fit replacement thermostat - engine now runs at 90C instead of 60C, and heater gives warm air after 3/4 mile instead of 5+ miles!

Interestingly, I had a problem with 1 of the 4 red lights in the rear light cluster (upper inner) that was not a failed bulb, but it was not an MoT fail as over 50% of the reds worked and it was not a brake light! Mastertech found it was a contact problem with the upper outer bulb holder and fixed it.

Phew.

Just back with a shiny new pass certificate and no advisories.

Thanks to all for the crossing of fingers and toes although I'm a bit concerned about ChrisK who has crossed all 12. I've got 20 Chris so unless you were born in Norfolk I suggest you count again.

Chrishazle. I had thought about Mastertech for my service next month so I'm guessing, by your post, you'd highly recommend them. I also like the guys at Halfords in Ashford. My experience is similar to yours except with SWMBO's Range Rover. Their MOT lift isn't big enough to handle it so I had an abortive attempt once. That now gets done in Hastings (close to my Land Rover indy) when it goes for service.

dont think thumbs count , so maybe 18 crossed ?? :)

Denis O, yes I recommend Mastertech, Ben is very knowlegeable and helpful, another member on here or t'other side took his SL to them last year on my recommendation and was very happy. His invoice for the B3 service on my S204 last January specified that the service was done "in accordance with MB ESS" and was almost half the price MB Ashford wanted.

I crossed all three of my testicles for you. That has to count.

My local MOT tester has had his front teeth fashioned into an air intake whistle. I have also learned that when they say "would you like a cup of tea?" it is going to hurt. Somehow in their kindness they figured, that if sitting down enjoying a cup of tea and a biscuit, the news that I will have to sell my family home, to recover my car will somehow be softened. I have fitted a 'quick release catch' to my trouser belt so that I can be bent over with ease.

In fairness to them. I have used them for many years. Why? Well they are very thorough, very knowledgeable and very helpful. They truly do look sympathetic at times to my 'hung dog' expression.

But I drive away in the knowledge that my car has been properly tested and my wife and daughters are afforded the protection of a "good" tester who goes the extra mile.

I sometimes despair when I hear or see "I know a guy who will pass that for you" why take the risk. Get it done correctly. Mail Order MOT's are a scourge.

I use Hillview in Wittersham for MOTs.

Wes gives a thorough check and I value the discussion on the condition of all the bits and pieces underneath as well as the opportunity to have a look for myself whilst they are up on the ramp.

I've decided to leave mine with them to fix a leak in the boot. Pick it up on Monday. I wish I was more diy inclined, but I've learned over the years that I tend to be the victim of coincidence when other things go wrong that you wouldn't normally expect.

My 04 E500 estate went in for a £20 main dealer mot last week, and only needed a puncture repair that I was unaware of! The Smart goes in next month.

Chris,

Not a good experience. Booked in and left the car with them to collect the following day. This is after sending them a spreadsheet with details of all the previous servicing so we could decide which service required. Called at 8.45 the following day to see if it was ready. No one could tell me if it was. Called again at 09.30 and still no one could tell me. Called at 10.00 to be told it hadn't been touched. Something about the car was telling them it didn't need so much work doing as already agreed. I asked the obvious i.e. why wasn't I called. Their phones were out of order. What about a mobile phone. Everyone has one these days. I'm not having my staff use their mobiles for customer calls.

I told them not to touch it and I was picking it up. Got there in 1/2 hour to pick it up and no sign of anyone with responsibility to remonstrate with. Took the car away and would not go back for anything.

It got done a week later with Steve Garlick who did a brilliant job (B Service, auto box oil and filter, brake fluid and new headlamp washer mechanism) and will always get my business in future.

Halford and Kwik Fit are place I don't think you want to take an SL. I took my SL to kwik fit once for a 'free' brake check. They half way decided they didnt need to take the pads off to measure them, they wouldnt give me the disc and pad measurements either. Then when I went to a friend to change the discs and pads, turns out they had bent the pins holding the pads in place, so had to get new ones.

Regarding MOT, I have had the most peice of mind going to a place where you're ar regular so they dont screw you over.

Never ever ever ever go to a garage where the mechs are paid by commission, believe me, they may be the nicest people in the world, but they need to pay their bills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom