MOT trap for the unwary.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
p.s. As regards "take away" verus "drive away", I would imagine that your practical legal position would depend on the nature of the fault. One indicator bulb out, surely the fuzz would be unlikely to incarcerate you for driving home. But a car with completely rotted out sills and no brakes on three corners - they would quite rightly take a more stern approach if it wasn't on the back of a trailer. Just a thought.

Whilst waiting in reception today whilst my car was being retested, the owner of a black 09 plate CLS came in to collect his car after its MOT.
He looked crestfallen as the garage read out a list of faults including both rear tyres that were balder than Kojak.

Now if he was stopped as a normal occurance and found with 2 bald tyres he could be looking at a decent fine for each offence + 3 pts for each on his licence. The implications of a crash due to those tyres on his way home are certainly cause for thought on being allowed to drive home after an MOT fail.

Back in the good old days, some garages would do a "pre-test". Same price as an MOT but if there's problems you only got told for info. If there's no problems, then the MOT costs £0.

I know a garage that still effectively does it, by inspecting then running it round to the testing station, but they charge the full MOT price, rather than the £25 that I pay elsewhere.

p.s. As regards "take away" verus "drive away", I would imagine that your practical legal position would depend on the nature of the fault. One indicator bulb out, surely the fuzz would be unlikely to incarcerate you for driving home. But a car with completely rotted out sills and no brakes on three corners - they would quite rightly take a more stern approach if it wasn't on the back of a trailer. Just a thought.

How would the 'Fuzz' straight out of his Geography degree know about rotted sills?

Whilst waiting in reception today whilst my car was being retested, the owner of a black 09 plate CLS came in to collect his car after its MOT.
He looked crestfallen as the garage read out a list of faults including both rear tyres that were balder than Kojak.

Now if he was stopped as a normal occurance and found with 2 bald tyres he could be looking at a decent fine for each offence + 3 pts for each on his licence. The implications of a crash due to those tyres on his way home are certainly cause for thought on being allowed to drive home after an MOT fail.
I think you just made my point for me. You'd be on the hook even driving it home after a failure or for that matter, driving it to a test before it even failed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom