MOT tyre condition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
SLK is in for MOT in about 1 months time.
All 4 tyres are dated late 2012/early 2013. There is 5mm tread remaining on the fronts & 3mm on the rears.
However, all 4 tyres are perished around the outside of the tread
PICT0851.JPG
Will it fail MOT due to this?

Had this on my old Jag and it passed two years running on the same tyres. You may get an advisory on the pass certificate.

Ample time to bin them.

I shocked myself a bit when I checked the pressure on my back tyres a few weeks back - easily legal tread remaining but age cracks the entire way around the sidewall. They were 2012's and passed the MOT only just before I noticed.

The rules have changed and they are pretty hot these days. As the rears are on the minimum you might as well replace them.

The rules have changed and they are pretty hot these days. As the rears are on the minimum you might as well replace them.

The minimum is 1.6mm

^^^^^^^^ this 100%

Bin them off now, today. They are rotten and unsafe. What are you looking at £3/£400 max. get them replaced.
Part of a bigger bill though. 3 out of the 4 wheels have been kerbed and I was considering refurbing the wheels at the same time as tyre replacement.
As the big fat tyres are quite noisy. when looking at replacements I was going to look for low db rating & high fuel economy rating.
Any suggestions?

Part of a bigger bill though. 3 out of the 4 wheels have been kerbed and I was considering refurbing the wheels at the same time as tyre replacement.
As the big fat tyres are quite noisy. when looking at replacements I was going to look for low db rating & high fuel economy rating.
Any suggestions?

What size are they? And how much do you want to spend

Any suggestions?

Just fitted Goodyear F1 to my E 3220, the front tyres have a decibel rating of 68 which for 245/40/18 is low.

Economy rating is a C but the wet weather ratings is A

What size are they? And how much do you want to spend
Fronts 225 40 ZR18 92Y
Rears 245 35 ZR18 92Y
Want to spend as little as possible!! But equally, want a good tyre. One never knows when the car may be sold on so sticking cheap & nasty tyres on would not help a sale. Also want the car to be reasonably safe.
So, probably middle ground on price.
Goodyear Eagle F1 also came up on my initial first search, £81.90 supply only or £97.50 fitted

I can recommend goodyear F1s too I run them and replace them on a car, but a strong second for me were the Continental Sport Contact 5s.... but I think they have gone up in price though in which case you may as well go for Michelin PS4s which is hardly a middlle of the road tyre.
not MOT failure technically but as said above I'd be changing ASAP....
OR controlled burn outs in a private area :D that way you see some added value....

SLK is in for MOT in about 1 months time.
All 4 tyres are dated late 2012/early 2013. There is 5mm tread remaining on the fronts & 3mm on the rears.
However, all 4 tyres are perished around the outside of the tread
View attachment 78735
Will it fail MOT due to this?

Simple answer - "No".... But certainly an Advisory.

OK.
It looks like I'm shopping at Black Circles & Wheel Worx tomorrow.
For ongoing protection of alloy rims, does anyone have experience of AlloyGator or similar?

OK.
For ongoing protection of alloy rims, does anyone have experience of AlloyGator or similar?

Avon ZV7 will be good tires mate, they are quiet, excellent value for money, and have great wet grip.

as for the alloys, turn on the reverse parking mirror adjustment feature, and maybe invest in some driving lessons :p (that was a joke btw. No offence intended :))

OP, same size as my C55 I had my wheels refurbed and fitted 4 new tyres at the same time

Avon ZZ5's (mine are 94Y rated)
71db
E economy rating (a moot point on a 5.4lt V8 in my opinion)
A for rain/wet
If your rear rims are 8.5 inches you can go 255.

They are made here in the UK and can be found for a good price especially if you go for 4 at the same time.

My car is more powerful and lighter than yours so I can only tell you my experience. They grip well in all conditions , as for noise I cant really comment because when I bought the car the old tyres were of the same make, I just changed like for like so no idea if they are quieter than any other brand, another moot point really as I spend most of my driving listening to my quad exhaust :).

Just put 2 Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance on my s211, different size but they are B-Fuel and A- wet with 69db, and reviews and tests rate them highly.

Check reviews at: Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance

OK.

Hi if you use Wheel Worx ask them about fitting new tyres they are very keen on prices and then you will get it all done at once,I take it you are using the Bury St Edmunds branch

The minimum is 1.6mm
Once tyres get below 3mm they loose a significant amount of grip so best to replace at 3mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom