MOT - unusual advisory

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UrbanM

Car
C220d AMG LINE Premium Plus
Just had my MOT done by Halfords. The phone holders that fit in the vents move about so I got a suction pad one. I fitted it by the right hand A pillar.

They took the phone holder off and put an advisory - item removed from driver view prior to test. Really???

Just had my MOT done by Halfords. The phone holders that fit in the vents move about so I got a suction pad one. I fitted it by the right hand A pillar.

They took the phone holder off and put an advisory - item removed from driver view prior to test. Really???
Count yourself lucky they did not try to sell you an MOT approved phone holder which they just happened to have in stock. :p

Did he ask you for approval to remove anything from your car?
If not, make an official complain.

Two conflicting views on what is allowable…

Could have been failed I guess…

@UrbanM According to the DVSA: “A vehicle can pass its MoT with a device attached, providing it does not hinder the view from the driver’s seat. If it does, then the device will need to be removed in order for the vehicle not to fail. If the owner decides to refit the device, then it would be a matter for the police as to what is acceptable.”

dice.jpg

Back in the day ......

I fitted it by the right hand A pillar.

Cant think why anyone would need a phone in their line of sight whilst driving especially when most modern cars have decent BT connectivity ?

To put it next to the A pillar , an already recognised blind spot , is just asking for trouble or an accident due to limited visibility at roundabouts.

The MOT guy did you a favour removing it to pass the test , he could have left it attached and failed the car which i am sure would have been more of an issue.

K

Cant think why anyone would need a phone in their line of sight whilst driving especially when most modern cars have decent BT connectivity ?

To put it next to the A pillar , an already recognised blind spot , is just asking for trouble or an accident due to limited visibility at roundabouts.

The MOT guy did you a favour removing it to pass the test , he could have left it attached and failed the car which i am sure would have been more of an issue.

K
Sat nav I guess

Did he ask you for approval to remove anything from your car?
If not, make an official complain.
Official complaint ??
He should be praising the tester, it passed the MOT.
I seen someone in a mini the other day, she had her sat nav stuck over the speedo !!

I am always amazed people take their cars to Halfords for an MOT test.

I am always amazed people take their cars to Halfords for an MOT test.
Saves a couple of quid maybe??

Saves a couple of quid maybe??
Possible i suppose but your local council MOT testing station responsible for testing taxis only do MOT testing, no repairs so no interest in failing a car to generate workshop income.

I never went again after it took them 2 hours to fit a radio cd player in to my Volvo ..And in the end i told the guy to rip it out and refit my old one back in . So they might have got their act to gether by now,, my fiasco was back in 2010

Possible i suppose but your local council MOT testing station responsible for testing taxis only do MOT testing, no repairs so no interest in failing a car to generate workshop income.
I have my mot done with my service at Mercedes, only £35.

Sat nav I guess

All available to stream via an app to the HU , or if directions are that critical and then just switch off the music and listen to the directions via the phone nav app.

K

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom