MOT Woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StevenN

Car
E220 CDI 2002 W210 Auto
As the Tax is due on my car and the MOT also expires at the end of the month I thought I would try to re-new my tax online as soon as I received the reminder.
The web site didn't recognise my current MOT so I had to put the car in early.
Well it failed!

Both rear brake pipes corroded and a tyre with uneven wear.
It also has advisory points about brake pads & discs and ball joint.

Not too bad and I am pleased that all will be fine when fixed.

My main worry was that I looked into my cars previous MOT's on the HM GOV website.
For the last 3 MOT's the corroded pipes had been advised but none of the previous owners did anything about it.
Even the dealer who I bought the car from didn't say he just told me a ball joint needed replacing.

I should have taken more care!

Oh well owning a Mercedes changes your attitude to spending money.
I will throw a bit more at the car and all will be good in the world again

Just though I would pass on my findings

Steve

We are doing so many brake pipes at the moment. They are tricky too.

Hi Olly

Been quoted £130 for 3hrs work.

Would you say that's about right

Cheers

Steve

Hi Olly

I think I have been quoted mate's rates.

Fingers crossed it don't get too steep

Thanks

Steve

There used to be an MOT place near where I worked - they used to make a fortune out of "corroded hydraulic brake lines".
Whenever anyone failed an MOT it was always for brake lines.
I used to take my cars somewhere else and my brake lines never got pulled.

Hi Geordie

That's kind of my point.
The MOT advised corrosion on the pipes years ago but nobody bothered to do anything about it.
My tester did say that the front discs & pads are ready for changing and that some testers would have failed it on them as well.
I will be doing or getting all the work done as it's good to be able to stop.

Steve

Got mine done last year well before MOT.

£400 to do all the rear pipes from the ABS unit and also the SLS pipes front to back.

Pipes all done and MOT for £175
Had to put a couple of tyres on the front and there you go!

My mate at the garage did say that the old pipes were very bad and in his opinion should have failed a MOT 2 years ago.

I just have to attend to the other advisory items.
Nip up the wheel bearings and change the brake discs & pads.

look on the bright side. I have new fluid in the pipes so I don't have to do that.

Steve

top tip with brake pipes you can get protective paint so if you are renewing then worth doing at that stage. If they are slightly corroded rub them down lightly and put on the protective paint makes them last for years my CLK still has original pipes on from 1997 and they are as solid as a rock. Rub down and repaint every 2 years better than having to replace which can be a pain.

Even better tip with brake pipes.
If you are renewing them, replace them (or get them replaced) with 90/10 copper nickel pipes.
Can then be guaranteed for the life of the vehicle.
It has been used for years on nuclear submarines and Navy surface ships for sea-water distribution systems.
The pipe is seamless and available in all common-required diameters.

I used to work at the place where it was manufactured (IMI Yorkshire Alloys in Leeds ... Sadly no longer there)

Just had my MOT, three advisories...
1)Front brake pads very low - thought they might be, have done 40K miles. Discs are originals with 100K miles and with quite a lip on them. Discs and Pads being replaced at local MB dealer (Robinsons) today for £320 all in, which I consider OK for a main dealer. I might of had them done by my local garage, but could not identify which ones to buy on ECP website, and anyway, total job might have saved me £40-£50, worth the MB warranty.
2)Front lower ball joint covers split - 3rd year running but no play in ball joints, so will leave until they need replacing
3) ALL underside brake pipes corroding! mmmmm! first mention of this and probably need replacing. Service due soon with local Indie - Autotechnic at Loddon, Norfolk, will consult them as to cost and real need to be replaced, maybe a rubdown and some protective grease or paint will do the job. Having brake fluid changed on service, so maybe replace the worst pipes at the same time.

The car drives like new, lousy trade in value and it looks great, so sticking with it!

Even better tip with brake pipes.
If you are renewing them, replace them (or get them replaced) with 90/10 copper nickel pipes.
Can then be guaranteed for the life of the vehicle.
It has been used for years on nuclear submarines and Navy surface ships for sea-water distribution systems.
The pipe is seamless and available in all common-required diameters.

I used to work at the place where it was manufactured (IMI Yorkshire Alloys in Leeds ... Sadly no longer there)

This is bang on advice and when I made my earlier post I should have said this too, we only replace with cupronickel not worth the hassle of using just copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom