MotoGP - The Racers choice of viewing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bryan Allman

SUPPORTER
Car
SLK55 (R172) 62.
Three fantastic races yesterday culminating in what could be the best race of the year, with more overtaking on the last lap than you will see in a year of F1.

These guys are something else - 210/215mph top speed - braking from top speed to almost a standstill, mostly with just the front wheel in contact with the ground on a slippery surface with just a 4 inch contact patch - all the time with 4 other bikes or more within inches (and sometimes less) of you.

The bravest of the brave with incredible talent - and all with a smile, laughing and joking, whilst riding with a broken leg/wrist/fingers etc

Makes you seriously rethink the prima donnas of the F1 circuit. :)

MotoGP-2017-Phillip-Island-Rossi-Zarco-Turn4.jpg

I only get to see the highlights on catchup so will watch it tonight. Couldn't agree more that it has F1 beaten hands down as a spectacle. I've been a Rossi fan for a very long time since the days he used to bugger off into the distance like Barry Sheene used to do. The riders are a down to earth bunch. Hard to be a prima donna after the experience of sliding on your aris at 100 mph. And they have all done it.

As a life long motorcyclist I'm in awe of the skills they have. I'd wet myself drifting a bike in the bends like that.

Couldn't agree more. Been watching MotoGP since the days of the 500cc bikes and its just so much more exciting.
The Australian GP was the best race in a long time, exceeding last weeks Japanese GP in the rain that was spellbinding.
F1 cannot hold a candle to MotoGP for excitement IMO.

Saw Rossi and co at Silverstone in 2015 in the wet and the bravery and skill these guys have is astonishing. Even the ones at the back of the grid.

Ive always watched motogp, never been interested in F1

+ Mr Rossi with a broken Tib+Fib :eek: Great racing :)

+ Mr Rossi with a broken Tib+Fib :eek: Great racing :)
Jack Miller was riding with a leg he broke just 22 days ago too. Just mind boggling how they can do it.

Has anyone been to ultimate racing event....the IOM TT?

[QUOTE="AMGeed,

Has anyone been to ultimate racing event....the IOM TT?[/QUOTE]

Not yet - but I keep looking at it - I might try next year :) Best event so far for me was Mugello - never experienced anything like it - brilliant racing and Italian madness - 5 hours to get out of the car park - but so much fun :)

Its a few years since I went to the TT but I would say get yourself along as you will regret it if you don't. Its a brilliant event that is hard to describe. People from all walks of life from all over the world getting on well with each other while watching bikes go really fast and then having ale ( lots ) to celebrate the days racing.
If you are planning on going next year start planning now because some years the ferries and hotels book up well in advance.

Jack Miller was riding with a leg he broke just 22 days ago too. Just mind boggling how they can do it.

In the old days of the mad, bad 2 strokes, it was good ol' Dr Costa and the Clinica Mobile working miracles to patch them up after every session. Claudio is now in his mid 70s, but the Clinica Mobile is still going under his appointed successors.

Moto GP, Superbikes etc. is always a good watch. The highest level of bike racing I've seen first hand is BSB, and it always impresses me. The skill, commitment and shear guts of the riders... astounding. Because aerodynamically generated grip isn't involved, close racing is possible.

There is no need to compare with F1. Different sport, different skills, impressive when seen live for different reasons. Watch an F1 or LMP1 through the Becketts complex at Silverstone and it's hard to not be impressed.

The atmosphere in the F1 paddock is way too stuffy and corporate. Commercially and technically, it's a bigger 'sport' than bike racing. As a consequence it's nowhere near as accessible as bike racing.

I stopped watching Formula 1 around 1988 because Sky at that time were offering free broadcasting and of course they were covering the Moto GP and I found it so much more entertaining, real close, proper racing.
Just recently the Moto GP has had me on the edge of my seat. I've always said if Marquez doesn't fall off he'll win, such an exciting racer to watch but they're all incredible. The last race from Phillip Island was one where you could not predict who would win until the finish line. Fantastic.

No safety car in MotoGP and the rules very rarely impact on the result.

A lot of the problems with F1 stem from too much money being involved. It's all Bernie's fault that it's as far removed from being down to earth as it possibly could be.

Aussie GP -- the ultimate in superb overtaking moves!!

The high definition slow motion shots that BT Sport treat us to occasionally are a real treat.

Interesting that the venue for the next race - Sepang, has now walked away from F1 because of the cost of entry, along with the damage caused by the heavy braking of the F1 cars, and is now focussed on MotoGP as their big earner - hence the re-profiling of the last corner (adverse camber) and re-defined run off areas. No doubt further changes will be made in future years to make the whole thing even more bike friendly.

Personally I have been a Rossi fan since he first appeared on British TV about 12 years ago (albeit hard to find in those days). I particularly admire his willingness to change his style and attitude - perhaps summed up in his recent comment to the effect of 'the new kids are crazy, to beat them you have to be more crazy - that's the way it is' :) :) :)

No safety car in MotoGP and the rules very rarely impact on the result.

A lot of the problems with F1 stem from too much money being involved. It's all Bernie's fault that it's as far removed from being down to earth as it possibly could be.
I agree. Though unfortunately without Bernie, who pretty much rescued F1 and created the brand profile that it has today, F1 would have died out decades ago. The guys that currently have the commercial rights to F1 will do well to keep it all going.

Looks like it's down to the last race of the season it's been quite some season.

Excellent ride from Dovi today to take it to Valencia.
Its a Honda track and MM will be hot favourite to win the title there. But it only takes one slip and its over.
Looking forward to the finale in 2 weeks.

Ive always watched motogp,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom