Motor Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You sure we're talking about the same bike? :) K1300S? Only 50 bags of sugar heavier than a Gixxer Thou :)
Maybe not! The one I was riding was a K1300 GT SE. Compared to my Tuono, which is a hypersports twin with sensible bars, I stand by the comments!
When you get to some of the more 'portly' bikes I begin to wonder if they hold any advantage to taking the car.
I use a bike because it is swift, light and fun:)

I ride a bike as well as drive a Merc, the only way Ive survived on bikes since 1974 is to treat everyone else as an idiot who hasn't seen you.

If a car is waiting at a side road and I havent made any form of eye contact, I assume he's pulling out until he proves otherwise.

I ride a Monkeybike, I've always used it as above,same as when on my push/ pedal bike. Come to think about it I tend to be quite cautious in the car, yes there is insurance but somehow you always lose out when someone hits your pride and joy.

I ride a bike as well as drive a Merc, the only way Ive survived on bikes since 1974 is to treat everyone else as an idiot who hasn't seen you.

If a car is waiting at a side road and I havent made any form of eye contact, I assume he's pulling out until he proves otherwise.

Ditto! I've survived without an accident on the road for slightly longer. Been down the road a few times on the track...but there, they are all going the same way, and there's nice men called marshalls and medics to come and pick you up.
On the road I assume that everyone else is trying to kill me unless proved otherwise.
To add fuel to the debate, I think all car drivers should be bike riders and visa versa, so everyone understands life from both sides!:devil:

I've thought for years that everyone and I mean everyone should have to ride a bike and pass a bike test before they're even allowed on the roads in a car or any other caged vehicle - even as a learner. Through self preservation you learn so much more awareness riding a bike than any other form of transport. You learn to spot the little details like wheels steering, doors opening, legs between parked cars, changes in road surface and so much more. You learn real observation of your environment and an instinct and anticipation that while not infallible is so much more tuned. Yep, get's my vote.

I've thought for years that everyone and I mean everyone should have to ride a bike and pass a bike test before they're even allowed on the roads in a car or any other caged vehicle - even as a learner. Through self preservation you learn so much more awareness riding a bike than any other form of transport. You learn to spot the little details like wheels steering, doors opening, legs between parked cars, changes in road surface and so much more. You learn real observation of your environment and an instinct and anticipation that while not infallible is so much more tuned. Yep, get's my vote.

Have you seen the Mod 1 test :eek:, not to mention the amount of injuries that happen during the "hazard avoidance" part.
Saying that there will be plenty of places available with the record low of people applying to take the test.:mad:

To add fuel to the debate, I think all car drivers should be bike riders and visa versa, so everyone understands life from both sides!:devil:
You only have to ride a bike in France, where most kids ride scoots before they're old enough to qualify for a car licence, to see the real benefit of this :thumb:

Have you seen the Mod 1 test :eek:, not to mention the amount of injuries that happen during the "hazard avoidance" part.
Saying that there will be plenty of places available with the record low of people applying to take the test.:mad:
The "hazard avoidance" part of the test is a very bad, and for many people, a very painful joke.

The reality is that polititians and bureaucrats throughout Europe have set themselves casualty reduction targets for all road users. They have concluded that the easiest way to reduce the number of motorcycle casualties isn't to improve the standards of riding or driving, but instead to reduce the number of motorcyclists. Don't be taken in by arguments that the new testing regime is designed to produce better-skilled riders, it isn't. It's been designed the way it has to prevent people gaining a license :mad:

I have said similar for years. Just doing a CBT would be enough for me. Let people understand what it feels like to distrust absolutely everyone else on the road.

m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom