Motor Legal cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
Is it worth it chaps?

If someone hits you, it's a job for the no-win no-fee claims management vultures and if you hit a 3P, then over to your insurers?

Have I missed something?

Thanks

There is a time limit on involving the insurance company, I think, and the vultures would want a goodly percentage for their troubles.

Only had to use it once - when silly woman reversed into my 968 coupe in a car park, played silly B's about details etc, then decided to contes our claim, saying we had driven into her. Well worth the small additional premium to hand it all over to insurer's legal team, as it took 12 months or more to come to court. Amusing part was, I'd bought and installed the required replacement lights and indicators, cost about £220, and early doors I told her I'd settle for that - but she did nothing, then decided to contest. After the court case (her insurers did not show up) we received a cheque for over £600!!

Many years ago I was hit from the near side rear corner on a roundabout by a driver trying to go straight ahead in the left turn only lane .

As there were no witnesses ( at least none who stopped to help ) I summoned the police , as well as taking photographs of the positions of both vehicles , road layout etc . When they arrived , one officer spoke to me , and the other to the other driver . We were both breathalysed and , despite having had a beer the night before , I was clear , but the other driver failed and was immediately arrested .

This last fact , along with my photographs and the police report , made the insurance settlement a foregone conclusion and , while my comprehensive insurance paid for my repairs without delay , the other side prevaricated for about a year before losses could be recovered ( including my uninsured excess of £100 ) and my NCD was restored .

Thankfully , I had paid the extra tenner for legal cover and was jolly glad of it since the lawyers for my side kept me fully copied in to the numerous letters that went back and forth .

Legal cover may already exist on your household policy or if you are a member of a motoring association. Worth checking before paying for cover you might already have...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom