Motor manufacturers using components from another manufacturer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
How many motor manufacturers use components from other manufacturers?

I remember the Vauxhall Omega with a 2.5 BMW diesel engine.

SAAB using the Vauxhall 3.0 V6 engine.

Ford Mondeos using Peugeot diesel engines.

Mercedes Sprinter and VW Crafter sharing the same body.

The list must be long and there have been sucess stories, but I'd bet there have also been projects that have failed for some reason.

So which manufacturers use parts made initially for another vehicle?

Last edited:
...SAAB using the Vauxhall 3.0 V6 engine...

That one doesn't count, I think - because they are both part of GM - the other examples are good though, as they show cooperation between separate manufacturers.

This is a thread that could crash the 'net!
It used to be that I knew what engine was in what car, but not for quite a while now. It's impossible to keep up with drivetrain and platform sharing as it is now. All we do now is choose the badge.

The 1.3 CDTi that Vauxhall use is a Fiat engine.

The 2.7 TDV6 in the RR Sport/Discovery is a Peugeot engine.

I'll think of some more later

Edit; the early Mini diesels were PSA engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
That one doesn't count, I think - because they are both part of GM - the other examples are good though, as they show cooperation between separate manufacturers.

Good point. GM acquired SAAB in 1990. :doh:

Ford Galaxy, Seat Alhambra, VW Sharran

The Sprinter is also a VW Crafter but also a Dodge:

Roadtrek_Introduces_SS-Agile_on_New_Style_Sprinter_Van_50.JPG

Range Rovers had BMW engines even after the sale to Ford IIRC.

Jaguars first XKR used an MB gearbox.

The MB 4 pot 1800cc supercharged engines are related to Mitsubishi units as are the engines in a smart.

Ford Focus 1.6TDCi engines are from PSA.

Ssanyong used Mercedes engines.

Porsche collaborated on the design for the Audi RS2.

Lotus Elise with Vauxhall Astra switch gear made me smile. Also Lotus now use Toyota engines.

Aston Martin took it a step further with their Cygnet, Toyota IQ clone, but I guess that's rather a special case.

The Mercedes V280 (V Class) had a VW engine (their VR6 2.8, as used in the Golf etc.).

Hell of a question Paul, the list grows longer year by year. The starting point would really be shared platforms between car brands within the same group. There is also a lot of sharing between groups that compete against each other as well. Development costs for new cars are huge, especially as most cars are now designed to meet legislation all over the world. Car companies can't afford to produce a car for just one region or continent, they would never recoup the development cost.

Also, "carrying over" from one model to the next is occurring more and more. We (the company I work for), have experience of this that has happened to work in our favour. Entire IP's being carried from one model to another model with just a few cosmetic changes. It works for us as we get business on new model cars without even having to make a sales pitch or any development. As we supply the current model our business carries over to the new model.

I used to have something at work showing the relationship between all the car companies, will see if I can find it tomorrow.

Ford Galaxy, Seat Alhambra, VW Sharran
Same basic vehicles, but there were engine differences. All had the VAG 1.9 diesel, only the VW had a 1.8 turbo petrol, only the Ford had a 2.3 petrol, only the VW was available with 4WD, etc.

Just thinking some more :)

Major powertrain components aside (gearbox and engine), there are not many suppliers to automotive in reality. Most of the big tier 1's and tier 2's supply most of the worlds car makers. For instance, wiring harness, seats, IP, fuel systems, braking systems, there are 5 or 6 global suppliers of these systems that supply 90% of the worlds cars. So even if you buy different brands the odds are that most of the components are common.

Oh forgot as are the Kangoo, Partner and Berlingo vans

Some Chinese cars are reverse engineered copies of European cars. So by design they are the same, though different grade steels and manufacturing methods are used.

Some Chinese cars are reverse engineered copies of European cars. So by design they are the same, though different grade steels and manufacturing methods are used.

I think you are trying to say in the European car and the Chinese copy, the outcome of a collision would be different, and it would be more likely that the occupants of the Chinese made car would die.

Trafic, vivavro and Nissan Primastar? All the same

Vivaro has the same body and gearbox but different engines.

The Primastar is, quite literally, a Renault Trafic with the badges taken off and replaced with Nissan ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom