Motor way Closures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yachtman

Car
clk 320cdi
Having been stuck in the M5 avon bridge fiasco yesterday , which was closed from about midday till 8pm for an idiot jumper, WHY does the m way need to be closed.

suggestion to Highways agency, screen off one lane, close one lane, leave m way open.

with all the banging on about human rights etc,What about the rights of those in the queues.

I thought it was someone on an overhead gantry? If not I completely agree. This completely buggered up the traffic for most of Bristol all afternoon- A massive knock-on effect! I met my mum down in Street for lunch and it took me an hour to get down, 2hrs to get back!

Better still - push him off - scrape up the debris and away you go - 15 mins flat...:D

This is one of those days when I feel shamed to be associated with this forum.

My comment was made tongue in cheek .........I didn't know he jumped. No excuses . just an unreserved apology. :eek:

When I posted this morning I was unaware of his fate. I am sorry he died,when I went past southbound he was outside the fence on the N bound.

Whatever the the outcome I still do not see the need to close the road. It could have been screened etc. I am equally sorry for those who bear additional costs, lost holiday flights, those with children in the cars,diabetics etc.

Indeed if it had not been made such a high drama may be he might have decided outherwise.

Last edited:
My comment was made tongue in cheek .........I didn't know he jumped. No excuses . just an unreserved apology.

People chuck themselves in front of trains on a fairly frequent basis - to the extent that the rail industry can deal with it fairly robustly, the media doesn't say much, and those involved tend to worry about the drivers, rail workers, and police who encounter such incidents rather more than the suicide cases.

I've had one close friend commit suicide and a relative who has made one serious almost successful attempt.

Despite that my first sarcastic thoughts when I hear about a jumper are to think something along the lines of 'call in the police snipers' and 'tell him to get on with it'. And then I reign myself back - to figure there's a person involved.

I have delimited sympathy for somebody who does this as an exhibition - whether it ends tragically or not. I don't want them to take their life and I can be sympathetic to their situation but I won't give them any respect for the manner in which they undertake the act.

So I don't think an unreserved apology is required. Just an acknowledgement of the tragedy. And then move on.

Dont forget when people do this they are probably not the full ticket.

Lynall

Not the full ticket ie unhinged not all there upstairs, mentally challenged etc.

More importantly how come youve got alcohol left and ive drunk all mine:D

Lynall

Not the full ticket ie unhinged not all there upstairs, mentally challenged etc.

More importantly how come youve got alcohol left and ive drunk all mine:D

Lynall

oh i see... that makes snese..

Alcohol.. hmmm.. dunno.. maybe you started with less lol

The Boss, Lynall
Do you mind...I have been sitting out here on a rig in the north sea for 11 days. I'm beginning to get a bit unhinged myself as I have 10 more days left before I can partake in your pastime.:(

Ive still not got any beer but may take the massive 2 mile trip to sainsburys later and buy some:D driving naturally as i dont want to waste any energy.

Whats the weather like out there?

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom