Motorbike accident today..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Earlier on I was enjoying a pint in the beer garden of the local pub, as you may find yourself doing on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

There was a bit of a screech/tinkle which made people's heads look up.. turned out to be a guy who had parted company with his bike on a roundabout the other side of the wall.

Not sure what happened, but about 10 seconds after poking my head over the wall our local constabulary appeared in the form of 2 PC's driving a Panda car, so I left it to them to deal with the situation..

Guy on the bike (think it was a Suzuki Bandit? 500cc thing) was wearing T-shirt/shorts/sandals. Dear oh dear oh dear, that's going to be sore tomorrow :(. I saw a bunch of other guys riding together when I was walking home, all with full leathers/bellstaffs - hot on a summer day but it keeps your hide on when things go pear shaped..

Gaz

Sounds nasty and hope he is ok. I always wear full leathers even in the middle of summer for this very reason.

I always wear protective clothing when riding - amazed when i see these people with shorts -- t shirts!!

I heard a story that in some hospitals if you haven't worn proper gear then they use what is essentially a firm brush to remove all the gravel from your skin - quite painful I here...

I heard a story that in some hospitals if you haven't worn proper gear then they use what is essentially a firm brush to remove all the gravel from your skin - quite painful I here...
Yes, sterile toothburshes or nailbrushes are usually employed on dirty wounds to try to get out the road grit

ouch

Gotta feel sorry for the guy hope he's ok.
It's always a great debate about should i wear leathers or not,Yes in the time when your wearing shorts and come off you always wish you were.But it's up to the individual and we shouldn't tch! at riders when they aren't leathered up.
How many cyclists do we all see wizzing down hills should we be asking them to wear protective clothing and all the people who comute to work on there scooters to do the same.It's a real hard call,but it's a free world and it's up to us to make the call.If i'm popping to the shops 10 mins away i will more than likely not wear my leathers if the weather is nice,but if it's damp then i probably would.
How many accidents in cars are speed related. and all of us speed knowing the risks (yes we do officer).
And yes i have come off my bike in shorts and tee shirt,And having a cheese wire down your back at A & E is very uncomfortable indeed BUT ALL THE NURSES WERE GREAT.Best of luck to the guy not nice hearing and seeing an accident car or bike.:thumb:

Yes, sterile toothburshes or nailbrushes are usually employed on dirty wounds to try to get out the road grit

I experienced one of these torture sessions when I was a kid and fell off a bicycle, which led to some very gravel filled cuts. Not recommended!

Full leathers for me.......... not just for the gravel rash but to hide the pot belly :D

Hello, as a biker myself it always scares me when i see people with NO gloves on !! Makes me wince, flesh V tarmac, only one winner !! :eek:

I never had 'full leathers' but did at least have a leather jacket , gloves and boots . Luckily , the one and only time I ever did come off was at very low speed ( on loose chippings at the bottom of a steep hill where the road turned sharp right ) I had seen the hazard and slowed right down , but still the bike went out from under me . A couple of chippings went up my sleeve inside my jacket and cave me some nasty scratches - it could've been a LOT worse .

I no longer use leather on the roads, preferring modern day woven fabrics with integral body armour.

Leather is unpleasant in the rain and when hot so has a very limited use.

Modern bike clothing using cordura outer and gortex inner or similar, with built in ventilation systems are waterproof, provide good abrasive resistance and keep you cool or warm depending on what the conditions require.

I feel very vulnerable indeed riding without proper protection all over though as I have suffered the NHS gravel brushing technique in my youth when they used said brush to remove gravel from *under* my knee cap. :eek:

Because of the location of the wound being on a joint and because I lost so much skin, my knee was bleeding for over 6 months. A very nasty injury it was indeed from a very low speed spill that I would have just shrugged off if I had been wearing something more substantial than denim at the time. Never again....

Last edited:
No Sympathy for the loss of skin to be honest! If they do nothing to protect it, well it's their own fault. It's the poor Surgeons, Doctors and nurses that end up picking up the pieces! Sorry, Stiching them back to gather... When I used to ride, Regardless of what sort of weather, Bellstaffs, Good leather jacket and quality gloves where always the order of the day.

I no longer use leather on the roads, preferring modern day woven fabrics with integral body armour.

Leather is unpleasant in the rain and when hot so has a very limited use.

Modern bike clothing using cordura outer and gortex inner or similar, with built in ventilation systems are waterproof, provide good abrasive resistance and keep you cool or warm depending on what the conditions require.

I feel very vulnerable indeed riding without proper protection all over though as I have suffered the NHS gravel brushing technique in my youth when they used said brush to remove gravel from *under* my knee cap. :eek:

Because of the location of the wound being on a joint and because I lost so much skin, my knee was bleeding for over 6 months. A very nasty injury it was indeed from a very low speed spill that I would have just shrugged off if I had been wearing something more substantial than denim at the time. Never again....

Yep totally agree there is more Kevlar in my bike gear than on the B-2 stealth bomber aircraft :D. Skin and bones Vs Concrete and tarmac only one winner there and you are right the modern fabrics are so much better than the old "leathers" riding without proper body protection is just the same as riding without a helmet, Just don't do it. :wallbash:

I've only recently started biking, but I always put on a protective cordura jacket with inserts and kevlar re-inforced jeans and Motorcylce boots. I do find it all quite hot and uncomfortable especially the boots), and often think it would be lovely to just cruise down the road in shorts,T-Shirt and trainers, but its just not worth the risk.

Although I now never ride without full leathers, I must admit to enjoying a wonderful ride in the countryside in just a T-shirt and jeans and trainers when I was much younger - I can still remember the sense of freedom, until a wasp went down my front and stung me:mad:.

I can only imagine what it was like for bikers before they had to start wearing helmets in the '70s.

You need summer vented gear as well as winter insulated gear.

My summer gear have mesh panels in appropriate places which when unzipped, feel like you really are riding in a t-shirt and shorts. :thumb:

+1 for vented gear - the mesh panels in my leather jacket keep it nice and cool even on the hottest days, then just zip the cover panels back on for the evening. Bottom half is taken care of by kevlar jeans, although you still get a bit sweaty behind the knee armour.

However, none of that helped 2 weeks ago when some old duffer decided to re-design the back end of the Speed Triple, and as a result I'm sporting a cracked pelvis from collecting the petrol tank with my groin. In the end I had to ask the police to keep him away from me before I ended up throttling him.

+1 for vented gear - the mesh panels in my leather jacket keep it nice and cool even on the hottest days, then just zip the cover panels back on for the evening. Bottom half is taken care of by kevlar jeans, although you still get a bit sweaty behind the knee armour.

However, none of that helped 2 weeks ago when some old duffer decided to re-design the back end of the Speed Triple, and as a result I'm sporting a cracked pelvis from collecting the petrol tank with my groin. In the end I had to ask the police to keep him away from me before I ended up throttling him.

Sorry to hear that, hope your on the mend soon.

Ta chaps, apart from that and the jarred wrists still being sore I'm not too bad. Also very glad I'm single at the moment, that thought does not even bear consideration!

They've given me a 1250 Bandit in the meantime which is ok as I can sit further away from the tank and take the pressure off - tried a Sprint ST at the weekend and promptly keeled over with the pain.

Not heard back what's happening with the bike yet - it seems mostly cosmetic but I had major trouble finding neutral after the accident, so if that's wrecked or the jig session shows up frame/swingarm damage it's probably game over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom