Motorbike respray advice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
So a while ago I went too low on my motorbike and scratched the side. I brought it to the dealer, who said that one of the stickers was a special order and he won't be able to source it easily. I now have a few options...

Sticker:
- Replace the right hand side with a custom made copy (might not be perfect)
- Paint the right hand sticker to make it look like the vynil
- Replace both sides of that sticker (under the seat cowl)

Paint:
- Respray the right hand side
- Respray the whole bike in the OEM colours
- Respray the bike in something "different" (custom/airbrush... ideas?)

I'm leaning towards the OEM look, with the sticker copied in vinyl... what do you think?

M.

What bike is it?

If it's a race rep then original colours/sticker would be the best option when it comes to selling. Muscle bike/Cruiser then anything goes.

My apologies... this is the bike:
1228082759-Ducati_750SS_ie_01.jpg

The sticker in question is barely visible under/behind the seat. The stock one said something like "Desmodue" while mine says something like "SuperSport i.e." (can't remember off the top of my head).

This is what the sticker looks like on a yellow fairing:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130299705486
For some annoying reason, the Ducati dealer in Ruislip couldn't find the sticker on their system (and I know it's an OEM one)

I'm also not fussed about resale value - this one isn't leaving my garage ;)

M.

Last edited:
You were able to scrape the seat unit whilst cornering? I'm impressed !!:crazy:

I can touch down bits of my busa and GSXR, but definitely not the seat unit!! Are you sure it's mounted correctly? Are you sure it wasn't dropped on something instead? :p

If it really was a result of extreme angle of dangle whist cornering, I'd leave it as a badge of honour to crow about in the pub! :bannana: ALso, you'll only scratch it again next time you're cornering hard again.

There's bound to be a good seat unit in a breakers' somewhere, or the sticker boys can replicate anything these days. Just get two and replace the one on the other side as well. You're screwed if they are laquered over though.

I can touch down bits of my busa and GSXR, but definitely not the seat unit!! Are you sure it's mounted correctly? Are you sure it wasn't dropped on something instead? :p

If it really was a result of extreme angle of dangle whist cornering, I'd leave it as a badge of honour to crow about in the pub! :bannana: ALso, you'll only scratch it again next time you're cornering hard again.

There's bound to be a good seat unit in a breakers' somewhere, or the sticker boys can replicate anything these days. Just get two and replace the one on the other side as well. You're screwed if they are laquered over though.

They are laquered over :(

"Cornering" is my way of saying "freaking out finding gravel while going around a roundabout, slamming the breaks and hitting the floor, breaking a finger in the process" :p

M.

A good Bike paintsprayer will be able to paint the Decals in Better than original

I have had a few done on my BMs..then coated with a clear coat

The guy I know is near the M4 - Near Reading if he is any good to you I would look out his details

an example - charged my £150 ish to respray and repair the tank plus painting in the Decals and covering the lot in a clear coat

PDTankOptBigish.jpg

A good Bike paintsprayer will be able to paint the Decals in Better than original

I have had a few done on my BMs..then coated with a clear coat

The guy I know is near the M4 - Near Reading if he is any good to you I would look out his details

an example - charged my £150 ish to respray and repair the tank plus painting in the Decals and covering the lot in a clear coat

Yes please - I live quite close to reading and could pop the lot over to him!

Yes please - I live quite close to reading and could pop the lot over to him!

I am in France for another couple of weeks - I cannot get to my info until I get back

Can you email me to remind me.......so that I do not forget as I am in the free bus pass club

my email is

bill DOT nuttall AT wenltd DOT co DOT UK

I am in France for another couple of weeks - I cannot get to my info until I get back

Can you email me to remind me.......so that I do not forget as I am in the free bus pass club

my email is
Will do - would you like me to wait a few weeks before I email you?

Will do - would you like me to wait a few weeks before I email you?

I would send an email now and one in two weeks - I am at the end of my computer as it is P1ss!ng it down here in SW France.

The guy is good he does a lot of custom stuff.........just cannot remember his name off hand or exactly where he is as i always followed my SATNAV into those strange parts of the country.......coming from Hampshire!!

If it's out in the sticks by a lake, I suspect that might be Revolution Custom. They used to be called Plastek, but that was a few years ago.

They sorted out our Trophy1200 after I threw it down the road on ice, very good job for a surprisingly small amount of money.

If it's out in the sticks by a lake, I suspect that might be Revolution Custom. They used to be called Plastek, but that was a few years ago.

They sorted out our Trophy1200 after I threw it down the road on ice, very good job for a surprisingly small amount of money.

That's correct Plastek

If it really was a result of extreme angle of dangle whist cornering, I'd leave it as a badge of honour to crow about in the pub! :bannana:
A little like this?

Cheers,

Gaz

Attachments

• commitment.jpg
    commitment.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 24

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom