Motorcycle Lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
A quickie... I need a new motorbike "security device"...

My only real concerns are that it needs to be relatively secure as well as being portable... so a massive chain isn't something I like :p

I was tempted by one of the alarmed disk locks... any advice on these?

M .

EDIT: Thought I'd mention... in the garage, there is a massive chain that goes to a ground anchor - so not too worried there ;) (as well as a fortress on the door, motion sensor alarm, and data-tagged bike...). This is more for "moving". At work, I'm thinking of leaving a cable lock trapped to one of the bars...

Last edited:
Don't leave the disk lock in and try and drive away - I did this on a Ducati.....

Recommend: NYC locks, usually used for bicycles, but damn near indestructable. Come in a few sizes.

Kryptonite New York 3000 U Lock + Bracket | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

They do a smaller version and cable bits too....

Top tip - try and keep the lock off the ground or slightly inaccessable - stops the old sledge hammer attack.....

I have an Oxford disc lock. No need for the alarmed version TBH and they have got a lot better in recent years. At the end of the day it is only something to put thieves off, if they really want it they'll chuck it in a van!

m.

In my experience motorcycle security devices are a bit like cameras in that the best one is the one that you actually use!

A (decent) disk lock fits that category well and if you're not going to physically anchor the bike to some bit of immovable street furniture then it's as good as anything else. The big advantage it has over most alternatives is that it's small and easy to carry so you'll always have it with you, and it's quick and easy to deploy so you'll always use it. Ones with an alarm in them are a waste of time, imo. You're better paying the extra money on something that has a better quality lock and is properly hardened to resist attack.

Thanks.

To answer a few questions - the ground anchor and chains I use at home I'm quite happy with, I really do doubt anyone can move the bike without considerable noise and effort... (even I can't move it without considerable noise and effort... and I have the keys!)

It's more something I can fit under the seat for when the bike is parked outside ACE or work... The alarmed disk locks I like for 2 reasons -
a; I like to think that the alarm is a deterrent to people who would lift the bike into a van
b; It would remind me not to drive off with the lock attached (something I've done before with the Cagiva...)

I've actually seen one that replaces your footpeg when not in use.... looks like a brilliant idea really!

M.

Decent disc lock (non alarmed) and a big flag pendant attached to it and or the handlebars

1. advertises the lock
2. means you don't ride off with it on

the alarmed ones i don't think add a lot to the security - one of the mags had stats on what had what and was stolen a few years ago (fast bikes/performance bikes maybe.....and the alarmed locks didn't make a differnece.

(i too have done this - felt a bit of a nana, but it was a good excuse to buy more carbon :) )

interesting someone reccomended a u-lock above - i'd steer clear of them for motorbikes (and for bikes too given how easy they are to get off), firstlty they can be jacked open with a scissor jack and a lever, secondly they are hard to use to secure a bike any more effectively than a disc lock does.

I know what you mean regarding feeling like a nana... I was lucky though as I managed not to drop the bike!

Luma Xsmart is the one I saw... this is their promotional video:
[youtube]fghPhoBvPzo[/youtube]

Thing is, they aren't Thatcham approved nor "Sold Secure". While I don't need it to reduce my insurance premium, I do like knowing that someone has "pen tested" the locks to see if they could break them...

M.

Neither Thatcham or Sold Secure mean much imho. Lots of evidence on youtube showing how useless most of the "approved" locks are.

If it is a bike that will attract thieves and you are leaving it in an insecure location then it needs to be locked TO something using a chain with links greater than 12mm.

I would only use a disk lock when parked somewhere reasonably safe or within view of where I was going if the bike was an attractive proposition to thieves.

I had an Oxford disc lock and a coiled fluorescent green plastic cable that ran from the lock to the throttle grip so you never forgot to remove it..

No one's going to nick your Ducati, its too old and uncompetitive on the club race scene ;) :D

Or have you bought something else.

Ade

I used 3 links of a plastic wrapped large chain with lock round the front wheel, there was no room to lever the chain off and no way with the chain and the lock of the 'face' of the tyre to move it.

As its only a small set it even fitted under the seat of my 'busa, though unbolting the seat was a pain :D

Of course unless its secured to something solid, they can still come and have it away :mad:

That climbing lock is spectacular!

I'm trying to find out if the Luma Xsmart will fit my bike... at the end of the day, I can't carry a ground anchor to the shops, pub, etc with me... so whatever solution I get needs to be small and not reliant on the availability of nearby objects!

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom