Motorcycle Madness in the Pennines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DieselE

MB Enthusiast
Car
W211 E320CDi
Having just read Motard's experiences on the M5, I experienced something different in the Pennines on Saturday.

The A686 between Melmerby and Hartside Height is a steady climb with lots of very sharp bends. It seems to have become a bikers Mecca as an unofficial time trial.

I was coming down from Hartside Height to Melmerby and approaching one of the very sharp blind bends (about 130-150 degrees) on a falling gradient. My speed was about 20mph and falling and I was about 20 feet from the bend. Suddenly a motorbike appeared. Both wheels were on the white line but because he was heeling heavily both bike and rider were on my side of the road.

As my foot was already on the brake, I just stood on it, Brake Assist cut in, and the car virtually stopped dead. This allowed said motor cyclist just enough room to change his line, bring his body and bike upright and miss the front wing by no more than three feet.

At each end of this stretch of road the council have put a large poster. It shows a picture of a bike heeling over, rider nearly touching the road. The caption is "To Die For?".

Sad fact of nice sunny days - bikers leave their brains at home to protect it from the sun! I saw some interesting riding driving home from Lincolnshire yesterday - of a similar nature:rolleyes:

I was coming down from Hartside Height to Melmerby and approaching one of the very sharp blind bends (about 130-150 degrees) on a falling gradient. My speed was about 20mph and falling and I was about 20 feet from the bend. Suddenly a motorbike appeared. Both wheels were on the white line but because he was heeling heavily both bike and rider were on my side of the road.
Sounds like great fun. :D This used to happen at Matlock, looks like the Police go too heavy there..
At each end of this stretch of road the council have put a large poster. It shows a picture of a bike heeling over, rider nearly touching the road.

Well, if the council will encourage it..

Yes, they even go as far as having a paramedic ambulance parked at the Hartside Heights cafe all day. :)

Nice to see they've got ALL conveniences..

What saddens me is that advanced riding courses are not only good fun, they also educate riders and teach amongst other things.... POSITIONING. There is nothing more satisfying :rolleyes: ;) ;) than going on a ride with a small bunch of friends and riding to the system. As my old sergeant used to say, "Man and machine as one, always being in the right place in the right gear and at the right speed". I guess the rider MIGHT have got one of the three right:rolleyes: :mad:

The person you met is quite simply an accident looking for somewhere to happen. Thank goodness you were not the chosen location.

Regards
John

That must be my favourite stretch of road; I believe voted one of the best drives in the world.

The problem is made worse because drivers want to take in the scenery at the same time as driving and concentration does sometimes wander.

The problem is made worse because drivers want to take in the scenery at the same time as driving and concentration does sometimes wander.

Couldn't agree more. I caught up with one of those further along the road. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom