Motorcycling Sikh wearing a turban

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dieselman

Banned
Car
Peugeot 403 Convertible
This morning I've seen motorcycling Sikh wearing a turban instead of a crash helmet.
I can't think of the last time I saw that, it must be 30 years, I guess.

There's a guy round here who rides a quad wearing a turban (amongst other things).

I can't think of a more dangerous form of transport without a proper helmet.

Very very risky considering all the hazards out there awaiting us on our roads.

I once saw a Sikh riding a 1000cc sports bike with learner plates, a sidewinder and no helmet. I suspect that one is pretty high up the list in danger stakes.

Like Dieselman it was about 30 years ago that I witnessed this.

For those that don't know what a sidewinder is, it is basically a little wheel that pops out one side of the bike meaning that in law the bike is now a three wheeler and therefore can be ridden on L plates regardless of engine size. The arrangement is hinged so you can lean the bike and almost ride it as if nothing was there at all.

images

I remember reading decades ago in a 'bike paper Sikhs had secured an exemption from the then recent law making crash helmets compulsary on public roads. What surprises me a little is that presumably an insurance company has provided cover for someone riding without the protection from a helmet. Aso, would a third party payout medical/injuries compensation in the event of an accident involving a motorcyclist without head protection ?

If it's legal to ride with a turban then surely the insurer has no choice but to pay?

And there was I thinking a sidewinder was one of these..........

Attachments

• Sidewinder.jpg
    Sidewinder.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 291
This morning I've seen motorcycling Sikh wearing a turban instead of a crash helmet.
I can't think of the last time I saw that, it must be 30 years, I guess.

Was there not a police force that spent millions trying to, unsuccessfully, develop crash helmets for Sikhs?

If it's legal to ride with a turban then surely the insurer has no choice but to pay?

If it is legal to ride a bike with a turban would that be the case even if you are not a sikh
ie could i do it with appropriate insurance?:dk:

If it is legal to ride a bike with a turban would that be the case even if you are not a sikh
ie could i do it with appropriate insurance?:dk:

Didnt Cat Stevens go through this particular battle?

Perfectly legal...

Rules for motorcyclists (83-88) : Directgov - Travel and transport

First paragraph 83 covers it.

Madness!

I've had bikes for years and I've never been asked by any insurance company what my religion is or if I wear a crash helmet. I've also never read any stipulation in an insurance policy regarding what clothing or protective items I should wear. Therefore I assume a Sikh riders insurance premium would be the same as anyone else.

Regards,

I saw a Sikh motorcycle policeman a few years ago.

He was on his police BMW sporting a smart blue turban with a Metropolitan Police badge on the front.

Last edited:
I saw a Sikh motorcycle policeman a few years ago.

He was on his police BMW sporting a smart blue turban with a Metropolitan Police badge on the front.

Interestingly, bobbies get to go out in all weathers. He must get absolutely soaked.

Interesting bit of reading here is you fancy 'educating' yourself: :D
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
:ban::ban::ban:[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Surely it's possible to voice your opinion on this topic (as others have done) without blatantly mocking Sikh beliefs? Has it occurred to you that we may well have Sikh members that could be deeply offended by your post?

Not the only place Sikh don't wear helmets ,I work on Building sites where a hard hat is compulsary due to HSE laws, but Sikhs wear there turban instead ! I have heard that they have to sign I disclaimer before they go on site though (not fact) ,I personally think its not safe but it's there own heads there not protecting madness in my opinion

Last edited:
I'd like to see some testing on a nice dense layer of human hair wrapped in cloth vs a thin layer of polystyrene with a thinner ABS shell. I suspect a decent amount of hair wrapped tightly could perform just as well as the helmet in mitigating brain injury - although the face isn't protected at all, of course...

There's a lot of over-trust in helmets, particularly bicycle helmets - and there's a lot of emotion in the arguments. If you look at the bicycle helmet data, there's not been any reputable, non-debunked study that shows bicycle helmets have much benefit in preventing you being killed or seriously injured. They're only good at absorbing low-energy collisions and preventing minor cuts and bruises - and experienced road cyclists tend not to just fall off whilst going slowly anyway. Move to a 20mph cyclist hitting a 40mph car, and a cycle helmet will do nothing for you. http://cyclehelmets.org/

Last edited:
I'd like to see some testing on a nice dense layer of human hair wrapped in cloth vs a thin layer of polystyrene with a thinner ABS shell. I suspect a decent amount of hair wrapped tightly could perform just as well as the helmet in mitigating brain injury - although the face isn't protected at all, of course...
According to the HSE (or similar), a turban does offer some protection from falling objects, but not as much as a hard hat.
There's a lot of over-trust in helmets, particularly bicycle helmets - and there's a lot of emotion in the arguments. If you look at the bicycle helmet data, there's not been any reputable, non-debunked study that shows bicycle helmets have much benefit in preventing you being killed or seriously injured. They're only good at absorbing low-energy collisions and preventing minor cuts and bruises - and experienced road cyclists tend not to just fall off whilst going slowly anyway. Move to a 20mph cyclist hitting a 40mph car, and a cycle helmet will do nothing for you.
Mrs Dm crashed into the kerb one wet, windy night and went straight over the handlebars, landing on her head and shoulder.
The helmet was scratched, her shoulder and knee were injured, so I suspect the helmet did do something worthwhile

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom