Motorhome Hire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CUBAN

Hi, need some advice. Just had a baby and I dont fancy taking him and my other 2 kids (and Mrs) on a plane for our holiday. Does anyone know of a good company that offers 6-7 berth motorhomes for hire and have any idea how much this will cost?

I can't believe that I'm looking into doing this I MUST BE GETTING OLD :eek:

Thanks in advance.

Cuban,

I have a caravan, I'm far from retiring and don't drive a volvo. Stayed in many up market hotels all over the world but with kids its great.

Open areas for them to play, fresh air, meet other kids.

Don't knock it.. :)

Could be worth either googling it or trying caravan dealers as they may hire them. I know its not cheap. I looked at a classic VW a while back and was supprised how much it was.

Where would you be taking it?

cheers

Cuban,

I have a caravan, I'm far from retiring and don't drive a volvo. Stayed in many up market hotels all over the world but with kids its great.

Open areas for them to play, fresh air, meet other kids.

Don't knock it.. :)

Could be worth either googling it or trying caravan dealers as they may hire them. I know its not cheap. I looked at a classic VW a while back and was supprised how much it was.

Where would you be taking it?

cheers

Either Wales or Scotland, I'm based in Cambridgeshire so Wales would be easier I guess. I've seen some of the specs and I must admit they are impressive. I know my 6&8yr olds will love it, I also looked into buying a 2nd hand VW and was shocked at their price. Are the showers toilets in the modern ones good/reliable?

Camper vans in general are frighteningly expensive, even oldish ones. Don't know about hire, but I suspect that will be the same. I had to hire a caravan for a week back in 2003 when mine got rammed by an HGV, and that cost a small fortune ... over £400 IIRC.

Toilets and showers are normally fine if a little cramped, but you're not generally hooked up to mains water so you've got a finite supply before you have to re-fill.

Hello

In a caravan you get get end bathrooms (Quite large with decent shower, wash basin, toilet etc)

If your staying in Caravan club sites or similar the facilities are very good. I've yet to use the shower in our van. I could....but its pretty small.

Simply yet great step forwards now are on board water tanks, and if at a site you can plug directly into mains water and waste.

My winnebago is for sale if you're looking to do this regularly.
It has absolutely everything.

our caravan holidays are the best with kids ....and can not wait to caravan without them;) ....it will take a bit or organisation the first time you go ...but people are friendly and will help advise you on site ...... we stay at caravan club sites for week about then a nice large one for main holidays...the one we liked best was coften near dawlish top site ...... but be careful the bigger the out fit (campervan) the harder it is for site to pitch you ..... there was a lovely £120.0000 motor home turned up one day it occupied six pitches side on ....the ended up between the bins and a family from Chatsworth estate (shameless) its a great leveller caravanning (motorhoming) we have always had lovley pitches ....but not always level ....ask for hard standing they are ok ....good luck

We've never actually been to a 'proper' caravan site, we use ours for dog agility shows. So survive fine on 12V and gas power, and collecting water from a standpipe (40L at a time).

My parents had a succession of camper vans in the in the 60s & 70s:

camper.jpg

My winnebago is for sale if you're looking to do this regularly.
It has absolutely everything.
Seen it, sat in it but couldn't get a brew out of it (ran out of gas :D:devil:) Brill vehicle for camping. Has all you need and more

http://tinyurl.com/3y2s23

List of companies etc, just do a Google on the various names for a telephone contact.

Maybe find out if they have car parking facilities & choose one in an area you wish to explore. Rather like hiring a boat for the rivers & canals ?

Good luck & Best regards etc

I looked into this a few years ago for an Italian friend. The costs were horrendous, I can't imagine they've gone down since.

I would imagine the cost of diesel campervans to have a serious knock when people figure out they are going to be subject to £200 daily charges in Londons emmission zone.

Hiring is big money... THESE people regularly have interesting deals on import campers.

http://www.algysautos.com/campervans.html

Might be worth considering a petrol model though considering the above....

I would imagine the cost of diesel campervans to have a serious knock when people figure out they are going to be subject to £200 daily charges in Londons emmission zone.

Hiring is big money... THESE people regularly have interesting deals on import campers.

http://www.algysautos.com/campervans.html

Might be worth considering a petrol model though considering the above....

Thanks for all your help, I dont plan to take it into London (its bad enough with a car!) I've had quotes for 6-7 berths from £550-£999 a week. I know its a lot of money, but as we have just had a baby I dont fancy flying with him, wife and my 2 girls. My girls are really excited about the whole idea, once I've picked a model I will post details on here.

Thanks again

We've got a new baby too (3 months today), who will be going on his first trip in the caravan in May :)

Personally I prefer a caravan. First you get to drive your MB, secondly you don't have to put everything away every time you want to go somewhere as the caravan stays on site. I took my daughter on a caravan trip whe she was 2 months old and it was no pb. You just need to get organised. If you leave near Peterborough it is worth driving to Newark to visit Browhills, the biggest motorcaravan retailer in the UK. The site is just of the A1 junction

I have had some nice outfits in my time with caravans and the kids stayed on a site every other day. in between I have set up home on the beach in north wales or along side a loch in Scotland, but found some of the nicest sites were owned by the woodlands trust and forestry commission

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom