Motoring and motorsport bucket list

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BD E55

Car
S211 E55 Estate
Have you been? Are you planning to? Thumbs up or down? What event is on your bucket list? What isn't?

I appreciate these are quite personal choices, and I'm sure mine won't be to everyone's taste, but would be interesting to get others views. I don't think it matters whether attendance is as spectator, participant, official, volunteer, etc - it all counts!

Pikes Peak race - Colarado
SEMA - Las Vegas
A NASCAR race - somewhere in USA
Pebble Beach concourse - near San Jose, California
Summernats - Canberra, Australia
Goodwood Revival - UK (have already done and will continue to do, FOS)
Isle of Man TT - UK
Mablethorpe Sand Racing - UK
Bonneville Salt Flat racing - USA
Lake Gairdner Salt Flat racing - Australia
Cholmondley Power and Speed - UK
Santa Pod FIA Round - UK (mainly for the doorslammers and top fuellers)
Grand National Roadster Show - Pomona, California
Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational - Las Vegas

Oh, did I mention that all the above ignore the costs involved...!!

Am still waiting for my crystal ball to get the Euromillions numbers right, it's still not working properly

Quite a lot of motorsport can be cold and windy, in my experience. Still fun though. If I was going for a bucket list, I really wouldn't mind sitting on a big yacht in Monaco Harbour whilst watching the Grand Prix and getting leathered on somebody else's champagne. Probably never going to happen though :)

Cheers,

Gaz

Well I've been to quite a few of the events you mention, so here my very personal views them:

Pikes Peak. What a fabulous and different event! I ran a 'works' Jaguar F type there in 2015. You have experience the mountain, the weather, the altitude, the people, the timing and the sheer craziness of the whole event to believe it. It's somewhere I would return to in a heartbeat. The challenge to get a car to work in all the conditions is huge.
DSC00253.jpeg

Bonneville in 2006 and set the current diesel landspeed record at 350mph with Andy Green.
This place is other worldly! The only place on earth that I have not collected bugs on a race car. It is so barren and desolate that even they can't be bothered to get more than about a mile from the 'shoreline'
Imagine the brightness of Alpine skiing then turn it up to 11 and add a whole bunch of heat. You can get sunburn on the under side of your nose from the refection. Then add a flock of mad people trying to go faster than should be possible.....wonderfully crazy.
Try watching 'The Fastest Indian' The place hasn't really changed in years.

DSC_6980.jpg

Goodwood Revival and FOS are both great in their own ways.

Cholmondley Power and Speed is a smaller, less congested and more northern version of Goodwood

I have done both Daytona and Talledaga on the NASCAR trail. The banking is seriously steep and (like speedway) the first racing lap will amaze you with the raw speed and energy.

The Isle of Man TT remains a unique spectacle. Lap speeds of 135mph on country roads insane. Both my son (who races bikes on Flattrack and circuits) agree that it is just a risk too far. Statistics, unfortunately suggest the same.

Never been to SEMA as I have no intention ever going to Vegas.

I have worked at the Monaco GP on a number of occasions. It's actually a much nicer place when the GP is not in town, but I much prefer Bandol as French costal town. Too many many people and far too costly to be in Monaco in GP week.

Santo Pod is great. You really should feel yourself be quite literally moved by thousands of raging V8 horses! I only went to investigate chutes for stopping the LSR car.....but you really should feel it.

Pebble Beach is something else....just make sure you are using somebody else's money:rolleyes:

I'd really like to attend Hot Rod Drag Week once. - I have no desire to compete, but I'd give it a go if I had the opportunity. It's more about watching those "street cars" having to navigate the streets between each track.
I'd like to attend Sumernats too; both my siblings live in Canberra, so I've got accommodation sorted.

Overall I think I like "grass roots" motorsport more. - I'd rather watch amateur rallying or time attack than pay to attend an F1 race; if for no other reason than they'll let you wander the pits and talk to the competitors.

How did Mablethorpe get on that list...........I worked just outside Mablethorpe for nearly two years, certainly not on a level with Monaco.

The only motorsport I saw were the old folk racing to Heron on their mobility scooters :D:D

RR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom