Motoring in Britain:- the future

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As far as making additional money how do they do that if 57% of drivers pay the same or less than before.?
In addition the average Co2 output of cars in the UK has dropped from about 220g/km to 180g/km, thus they incur a lower charge also compared to the old scheme.
How is that making money.?

If I was a sceptic and your car was below 100g/km I would suspect you would be saying this scheme was the best thing since sliced bread....

No, don't tell me, you would pay the higher rate, just to be fair..

Still no suggestions yet..go on give one a go..

Because the drivers that pay more pay a lot more. The drivers that pay less pay a little bit less. Clever eh, one hand giveth a little, the other taketh away much more....

Suggestions you say - here is one. Do nothing, why fix something that can't be fixed. How can a little Island like this with its CO2 emissions make a dent when you've got giants like china and india belching out the stuff.

Meanwhile as oil prices rise lets look at renewable energy to help with increased electricity demands. With all this allegeded increases in winds caused solely by people flying to majorica for holidays and driving BMW X5's, we can surely harness some of the extra wind power released. Hydro electic schemes, wave energy sources, solar power. Renewable is the long term answer.

As far as making additional money how do they do that if 57% of drivers pay the same or less than before.?
How is that making money.

They have never really proved this statement have they?
this sounds like one of those charities that when they need money suddenly remember that some bird or fish somewhere is becoming extinct

They have never really proved this statement have they?
this sounds like one of those charities that when they need money suddenly remember that some bird or fish somewhere is becoming extinct

Well, I thought the press did a pretty good job of investigating it...and has anyone proved them to be wrong..

No...!!

Well, I thought the press did a pretty good job of investigating it...and has anyone proved them to be wrong..

No...!!

They have not poved them to be right either and with all the lies we have been fed recently, i think i know where i stand.
I do know many MPV type cars will be affected and that is just cruel.

No...!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/7293011.stm

Look at the tables. The cars that have increased have gone up quite dramatically. My 4.4i X5 would have gone up when I had it in 07 by £220 as would any car above 225g/km.

It hasn't been proven, but why would a government bring in a tax structure on cars that reduced revenue. Given this lots policies and track record its unheard of to give back the the UK motoring public. Head out of sand time, they won't have lost revenue....

between the zafira and the focus that is a lot of cars. not seen too many kia picantos or bluemotion cars and i certainly do not want to drive any diesel cars

Last edited:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/7293011.stm

Look at the tables. The cars that have increased have gone up quite dramatically. My 4.4i X5 would have gone up when I had it in 07 by £220 as would any car above 225g/km.

And what percentage of cars fall into which bandings.? Without that information one cannot make an informed decision to the overal tax take.
We covered this before and found that the majority of the increase was to come from first year figures as opposed to the VED.

The No1 best selling car is the Focus and that is definately lower than when under the previous system.
Loads of owners are enjoying lower VED charges than previously, would you prefer their tax to be higher so yours could be lower.?

no it is not. it has gone up for the focus. or are you saying previous system of 1.5 and over?if so yes but so what. It does not reduce CO2 or congestion

And what percentage of cars fall into which bandings.? Without that information one cannot make an informed decision to the overal tax take.
We covered this before and found that the majority of the increase was to come from first year figures as opposed to the VED.

The No1 best selling car is the Focus and that is definately lower than when under the previous system.
Loads of owners are enjoying lower VED charges than previously, would you prefer their tax to be higher so yours could be lower.?

By extension which model of Focus, the 1.6TDCi car (whcih pays at £110/annum), the petrol focus or the ST is the best seller. Again the majority of focus owners could be paying more VED.

I don't know about you, but I can be fairly sure the tax rate take won't have decreased. I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if it did, but its doubtful :(

Not really. I hate forced induction and my driving style just do not like engines like that.

Ah well, the credit cruch will yield you high VED petrol guzzling motors to enjoy. Someone mentioned Toureg V6 petrols for £5k, E500's BMW M3's all going cheap due to this recession.

Or my personal favourite diesel, the VW Touareg V10 TDI :)

Looked awesome on fifth gear.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008-volkswagen-touareg-v10-tdi-review/

You'll probably get one for about a fiver once your thru uni ;) the way these things depreciate is unreal. Its an immense car though. Being a scrooge I'd go for the V6 and save on fuel but you'd have great fun in it.

Last edited:
Can you imagine the powers that be reducing its revenue from taxes? I doubt it.
Much like the 10p that left people wondering what was going on.

Ah well, the credit cruch will yield you high VED petrol guzzling motors to enjoy. Someone mentioned Toureg V6 petrols for £5k, E500's BMW M3's all going cheap due to this recession.

I know . i went to bauer millet today. 7k drop in the 7.0V8 monster.

By extension which model of Focus, the 1.6TDCi car (whcih pays at £110/annum), the petrol focus or the ST is the best seller. Again the majority of focus owners could be paying more VED.

I don't know about you, but I can be fairly sure the tax rate take won't have decreased. I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if it did, but its doubtful :(

It's hardly moved..even given 10 years inflationary rises.

2008 V's 1997 RFL tax take.

Vehicle Excise Duty (VED)** £5.01bn----£4.44bn

Remarkably stable given there are more cars on the road.

no it is not . 0.57 bn difference. A lot when invested in icelandic banks:)

Slightly surprised by that lot I have to say. I'd like to see the 09/10 fiscal years vs the 06/07 fiscal years take. I heard (not in the DM BTW) that the 09/10 fiscal year is when the takings will be really high and a lot of folk aren't quite aware of this. Plus these new show room taxes :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom