Motoring Pics from recent Europe trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
09 E320 cdi Sport Estate, 98 E300TD Estate, 99 SL 500
Hi

Just got back from a week in France and Holland and have a few motoring pics from my 1800 mile trip.

230K's mount just before heading off with all 7 of us.
DSC02741.jpg

Got as far as Paris from Belfast via Stranraer and tunnel. Stopped for fuel on M25 somewhere that was our only stop until Parc Asterix near Paris. Kids travelled well through the night. Stranraer 8.30pm tunnel at 5.50am?? then Parc Asterix for 9.20am Paris time.
DSC02794.jpg

280000 miler struggling with the heat
DSC03030.jpg

On to Wassenaar in Holland was entrigued with this homemade roof box i spotted on the way
DSC02806.jpg

Another view
DSC02809.jpg

Mercedes Advertising somewhere near Rotterdam
DSC03017.jpg

DSC02903.jpg

Funny Roadsign anyone know what it means???
DSC03028.jpg

The E300TD blending in nicely with the rest of the campers.
DSC02945.jpg

Anyone remember these?
DSC03014.jpg

Kinda forgot they made a 4 wheel drive 5 series
DSC03016.jpg

Back in Calais on way home dont you just love this French idea of what a BMW should look like
DSC03033.jpg

Another of the same car
DSC03034.jpg

Waiting to board the tunnel with a 490 mile trip on the other side back up to Scotland
DSC03037-1.jpg

All home safely, just shy of 1800 miles covered in a week and 45 litres of Mobil 1 Turbodiesel home with me for good measure. Some scary mpg too struggled to get 25mpg on the 85mph blast to Paris and back up to Belguim roofbox and the weight on board all contributing, average was prob 28-29mpg.

Hope i haven't bored you all just commenting that car was near on 100% apart from a slight pull to driverside on braking. Must investigate. To date car has been in England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Holland, Belgium, France, Spain and Germany of course.:) :)

Who said that the 210's just weren't cut from the same stone as previous Mercs.

Last edited:
If the road sign was on the Amsterdam Ring, it's to warn any vehicle carrying any form of explosive or flammables, apart from fuel in vehicle's fuel tank, to divert to the ring road that doesn't go through the tunnel. That's if it's the one I think anyway.

Last edited:
Hi

Yes i would probably have been on the Amsterdam ring ok, just thought it was a mad roadsign but had an idea that is what it meant.

Thanks,

Or for terrorists to turn off

Seriously, great images, thanks for sharing. I'm even more determined to get back into MB ownership, what a classic & fantastic motor you have

Sorry, forgot to mention, nice pics, hope you enjoyed the trip.

I've always wanted to take my own car abroad. Whats it like to drive a right hooker in Europe? Difficult or not as bad as it appears.

280k Miles is a credit to the car and manufacturer.

I've always wanted to take my own car abroad. Whats it like to drive a right hooker in Europe? Difficult or not as bad as it appears.

280k Miles is a credit to the car and manufacturer.

Hoi!! Credit to its owner for meticulously maintaining it too.:D :D

Seriously though, driving a right hooker abroad is easy enough although i would say 99% of our last trip was on dual caraigeway type roads or motorways. From before the main things to watch out for are junctions and roundabouts. Easter Sunday 2006 i drove to the Eiffel Tower, now the centre of Paris is a different story, hate to think hat it would be like on a busy day.
Sat nav in my opinion is a must for driving on the continent. There are loads of lanes to choose.
DSC02913.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics. Well done on a great journey. Like the custom BMW nows there's some ideas for future mods.

Not difficult at all.

I've had hookers of all types in Europe, right hand in left hand countries, left hand in right hand countries and the left in left and right in right...never any problems.

Got offered a set of hookers in Tanzania as well, but that's another story...

Last edited:
That car's doing great!! nice one!!

PS - you haven't removed your reg'n from the last pic in your first post ;)

That car's doing great!! nice one!!

PS - you haven't removed your reg'n from the last pic in your first post ;)

Thanks Pammy i overlooked that one, its sorted now.

Thanks again,

Nice pics and thanks for sharing. Good to know you enjoyed yourself.

When you say pulling under braking was that when abroad or in the UK, just thinking about the opposite camber effects

Your car looks so nice and all those miles, a real credit to you:):)

I am taking the SL to Sweden and I will drive up this time. It should be in July,. then peace can regn on the forum:bannana:

Hi
Pulling during braking both sides of the channel but then again i wasnt doing much braking on this side:eek: , think it is because of the extra weight having to brake harder that shows up shortcomings in some of the suspension arms more so than it would do with just me on board.

I checked all the rear and front arms prior to going and even had MB do a wheel alignment so was reasonably sure everything was ok.

Hi
Pulling during braking both sides of the channel but then again i wasnt doing much braking on this side:eek: , think it is because of the extra weight having to brake harder that shows up shortcomings in some of the suspension arms more so than it would do with just me on board.

I checked all the rear and front arms prior to going and even had MB do a wheel alignment so was reasonably sure everything was ok.

To be truthful you did have a huge load and must have near or just over the max loading, it could be OK now that you are back to normal, well that is when you stop wishing that you were somewhere else :):)

Driving abroad is quite simple. Sat Nav is a must. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Attachments

• 202ssmall.jpg
    202ssmall.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Took the ferry from Rosyth to Zeebrugge a couple of years ago. Rode the bike through Belgium and Holland to visit friends in Germany. Trouble free except for the delays on the Amsterdam Ring on the outward journey.
Lived in Germany for 10 years, so easily back into riding on the "wrong" side of the road again. I too have driven left and right hand drive cars in UK and Europe, only forgot once which country I was in on a quiet country road. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Plan to take the merc over next year, only problem is there's more space for the wife's shopping than on the bike.:crazy:

Lived in Germany for 10 years, so easily back into riding on the "wrong" side of the road again. I too have driven left and right hand drive cars in UK and Europe, only forgot once which country I was in on a quiet country road. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
/quote]

This was what I found, only once when I stopped on a road with not other traffic then it was easy to set off in the wrong lane,, this can also happen after a row with the wife :mad: as I had not been taught the "Yes dear" bit then. No trouble either way around in either country

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom