Motorised Seatbelt holder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasohal

Car
S320 E500 E55
Has anyone had the joy :)) of ever changing one of these.

I am talking about the plastic arm with the triangle loop at front which offers the seatbelt to the driver whenever the drivers door is opened and closed.

Reason I want to change it is that it seems over time the seatbelt has slowly cut into one of the corners of the plastic triangle and feel that it is close to breaking point.

Annoying thing is that when I tried having a closer look - I had to keep opening and closing the door to get the mechanism to come out of its housing and then you've got about 20 seconds before it disappears back into its housing !!!!

Sp!ke has, there are a few threads about the process too. The new item costs under a tenner but takes AGES to fit IIRC :)

Its not that bad to do really.

The triangle bit is £5 and just pulls off however you need to undo the lower seat belt anchor to get the belt through.

This is sprung loaded and is a bit of a pain to re-tension. Look at the seat belt anchor (behind the seat) closely and you will see it has two small pin sized holes. These holes are used to hold the spring under tension when you reassemble. I made up a little jig with two little nails glued to a bit of tin which served the purpose quite well. To tension the belt anchor, you will find that there is a box spanner (like spark plug spanner) in your tool roll which is exactly the right size ;)

Don't forget to tension the spring in the right direction too because you (like me) will be mighty cross when you reasseble it all, breath a sigh of relief and realise that the damn thing is recoiling the wrong direction......

Last edited:
Awww...

Sounds like a fiddly job...I will take a look at it over the weekend and decide whether I feel up to attempting this ....

Thanks for the prompt replies !!!

While I'm at it..I have noticed that the plastic panel which fits on the outside of the passenger card is slightly cracked.

Its the one closest to the passenger window when looking in from the outside
semi-circular in shape and about 5 mm thick.

I hope I have explained this part clearly ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom