Motorola International 2700

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amwebby

MB Enthusiast
Car
CL500
My 2000 CL500 (recently purchased) was fitted from the factory with what the build sheet describes as a 'D-net telephone integrated'. From the handbook left behind it would appear this was a Motorola International 2700.

When I phoned my local Mercedes dealer to enquire after fitting a later phone system they told me that this would entail removing all the interior trim and completely re-wiring the vehicle.

This led me to think that, if the previous owner removed the Motorola handset (which it would appear they have done), the wiring is probably still in place.

I have found a few of these units, complete, on ebay. Does anyone have any experience of them and whether refitting one is as simple as I am assuming?

One thing to remember if you are going to re-fit the original D-Net system, is that D-Net is just GSM900 (i.e Vodafone and O2 in the UK). The E-Net system also does GSM1800 (Orange/T-Mobile + the virtual operators such as Virgin)

Now, here are some ways you may find if your car has the D-Net stuff still installed.
As you summize, removing the wiring is much more complicated than just leaving it there - especially as it is on the fibre optic audio bus.
a) look under the back seat to see if the phone controller is still there
or, easier,
b) - go look at www.mercupgrades.com in the comand section about the hidden menues, look at the hidden menues and see if there is a phone controller still wired in ! - that would mean it;s still there on the fibre-optic bus and the wiring is still there (as there is power to it) -

Cheers
R

Thanks Richard. I know the D-Net system is GSM900 but, as I have a plethora of 02 accounts and will redirect calls to the in car phone, that isn't a major problem, although I'm unclear what the situation is in Europe. Perhaps I'll leave the Bluetooth installed just to cover all the bases.

Now, I'm off to look at those hidden menus...

amwebby said:
although I'm unclear what the situation is in Europe.

If I remember right, all the original operators got GSM900 - i.e. the local PTT (France Telecom in France, DT in Germany, etc) - and the late comers get GSM1800. Of course, out of their own country, they got whoever they bought, more than likely GSM1800 since I think only BT sold off its mobile network

I'm pretty sure GSM1800 needs twice as many antennas since the signal goes half the distance for the same power as its twice the frequency ... (remember the original Orange adverts, we have more aerials than the others (and the coverage was still rubbish) -- thats because they needed more !!) - so I always recon it was the countries protecting the state owned telco...

R

Diagnostic help please?

I had a look at the diagnostic menu, as Richard suggested. The first thing is that mine did not come up with eitehr Tape or Aux but only 'Brightness' and 'Settings'. I put it into 'Settings' and pressed Mute/1/3 for 3 seconds for 3 seconds and it went into a diagnostic mode. But not the one described on mercupgrades.com.

I did find a D2B menu and it listed a 'Handy' but no 'Phone', what does this mean?

amwebby said:
I had a look at the diagnostic menu, as Richard suggested. The first thing is that mine did not come up with eitehr Tape or Aux but only 'Brightness' and 'Settings'. I put it into 'Settings' and pressed Mute/1/3 for 3 seconds for 3 seconds and it went into a diagnostic mode. But not the one described on mercupgrades.com.

I did find a D2B menu and it listed a 'Handy' but no 'Phone', what does this mean?

Ok
(1) It sounds like your system may need the MY2001 software update applied to it
(2) My instructions were for COMAND2.0 - Comand2.5 (which is what you have is very similar, but not quite the same)
(3) Handy is the german name for mobile phone

So if it came up with Handy and gave you some evidence that it was there (i.e serial numbers, or software version etc) - then you do have the phone controller there.

Now look in the bottom of the centre glovebox, and there may be a connector that looks like ethernet in the bottom (possibly under the carpet section at the bottom) - or the wiring may have been hidden away by the de-installer ..

Cheers
Richard

Thanks Richard,

1. How do I get the software upgrade and how do I apply it? 'Upgrading' from 2.5 to 2.0 is slightly confusing isn't it?
  2. What are the advantages to upgrading to 2.0? Is there a list somewhere?
  3. The entry for Handy (which I knew was German for mobile BTW, I lead a team of German software develpers) did indeed have what looked serial numbers and software version. The entry for Phone did not. Can I assume that this means the system has correctly identified that no phone is connected to the controller?
The handbook for the 2700 has a single page showing a Mercedes-badged 2700, is this only badging or is there something specific to the MB version of the phone that the COMAND system will require?

Thanks again for your help in this. I run a forum for Aston Martin owners at http://www.amoc.org and really appreciate the input from experts like yourself.

amwebby said:
[*]How do I get the software upgrade and how do I apply it? 'Upgrading' from 2.5 to 2.0 is slightly confusing isn't it?
Comand 2.5 and 2.0 refer to the physical unit, not the software. Comand2.5 came out before 2.0 - and its called 2.5 because it is 2.5 din units high

amwebby said:
[*]What are the advantages to upgrading to 2.0? Is there a list somewhere?
The upgrade is called the 'MY2001' software upgrade , as its the software put on MY2001 cars - it is the latest one available, although later cars did get newer software. Its is a CDrom you put in the comand and power it on holding down * and hash keys.

amwebby said:
[*]The entry for Handy (which I knew was German for mobile BTW, I lead a team of German software develpers) did indeed have what looked serial numbers and software version. The entry for Phone did not. Can I assume that this means the system has correctly identified that no phone is connected to the controller?[/LIST]The handbook for the 2700 has a single page showing a Mercedes-badged 2700, is this only badging or is there something specific to the MB version of the phone that the COMAND system will require?
The fact that the COMAND is seeing a phone controller (whether its calling it Handy or not) suggest that you have an integrated phone system connected - so I suspect the next thing is to lift the rear seat cushion and see if the phone controller is under there. It will have an coax aerial connector, an D2B connector with 2 orange fibres, and atleast one other connector. Note down the part number and I'll ask my MB dealer. If your car has voice recognition, then that controller will be under there, which has a D2B connector and a 15-way dtype so don't get confused with that.
The rear seat cushion has latches that are released by pushing on the corner of the seat around the vertical upright at the bottom of that upright (i.e base of the seat), whilst gently pulling the seat up. Once you've done it once you can do it easily - the first time is a bit fiddly !

Cheers
Richard

It's there! Aside from finding 25p :) , I also found two units, the one with the coaxial is marked 220 820 1435

Now, where do I source an MY2001 CD?

and do I need a Mercedes 2700 or will any one do?

2001 Cd

I have the upgrade CD if you still need it

amwebby said:
It's there! Aside from finding 25p :) , I also found two units, the one with the coaxial is marked 220 820 1435

Now, where do I source an MY2001 CD?

and do I need a Mercedes 2700 or will any one do?

Sounds good - you only need the handset end now, it plugs into the connector at the bottom of the centre glovebox, you need handset, a bunch of connectors and some plastic work - if you go to the MB parts department, they will type in your VIN into the computer, and it should show the correct part numbers you need when they click on the bits of the picture on the EPC system - this works because their parts computer beleives your car should have the 2700 phone

Now, it may be just a standard 2700 handset, or it maybe one with a different connector on it .. I think the car will have a slightly large RJ45 type connector.

Richard

Nearly connected

There's no connector in the central glovebox but I assume that has been cleaned up. I'll give MB a call.

Thanks for your help and advice

If you've got the phone module it's unusual for them to take this wiring out too. Can you take & post some pictures of your centre console / arm rest compartment?. You're just looking for an Ethernet (phone plug) type connector.

There won't be any visible wires, they'll probably be in a cloth covered conduit.

amwebby said:
Excellent, that is the correct part number for the phone control system - all you should need is the handset bit and mountings/wires.

If you look on your vehicle datacard, (in the back of the service book), theres lots of 3 digit codes which show the options. Option 316 is the 'old' fixed car phone, with that controller.

Having done some further investigation, if you have option 856 then the handset would have been in the centre glove box. If not, then it would have been on the side of the centre console.

If you didnt have 856 and want it in the centre then there you need a load of wires and mountings and to take the centre console apart, if you're happy with it on the side of the dash then you need the mounting (which I guess you have already with your new phone system screwed to it) and the handset and the handset clip ...

If you did'nt have option 856 and do want it in the centre glovebox, then the dealer won;'t be able to work out the parts you need that easily - let me know and i'll spend some time looking at the parts list next time i'm in there

> Now, where do I source an MY2001 CD?
You can download a copy of the internet :-( buy a copy on ebay :-( or buy the original from your dealer if he is is willing to sell it to you for around £7 - it is part nr W230 589 00 22 00

Cheers
R

Thanks Richard. As I have the credit card and pen holder in the fascia glovebox it would seem my car did have the central phone, especially as the top department in central glovebox has all the holes for mounting one.

I can't find 856 by looking up my VIN on the net (316 is there), but three codes, 668, 833 and 862 have no entries next to them. Could any of these be the ones?

Last edited:
amwebby said:
... especially as the top department in central glovebox has all the holes for mounting one.

That's exactly where the connector would be, if it was installed in the centre arm rest. I will try taking a pic of one I've got from a W203 or W209 (similar system) to show where the wire / plug would be as it's easier than trying to describe it (it's not neccessarily obvious!)

I've only got my mobile phone with me so the image quality isn't good but what you see below is taken of inside the top compartment from the passengers side. There is one large hole and four smaller, screw-sized ones in the bottom felt and then a weird plastic thing on the side with 3 push button things, a bit like one of those coin holders.

Attachments

• img060815-1826.jpg
    img060815-1826.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 55
amwebby said:
I've only got my mobile phone with me so the image quality isn't good but what you see below is taken of inside the top compartment from the passengers side. There is one large hole and four smaller, screw-sized ones in the bottom felt and then a weird plastic thing on the side with 3 push button things, a bit like one of those coin holders.

Yep, that's the coin holder, the pics below are of the felt insert.

Not sure how it is on a CL & I can't quite remember how Dad's W220 S Class looks, but I'm sure it's pretty similar to this insert I have from a W203...

The other image shows the connectors. One is an Ethernet type plug, the other is a coax twist connector for the aerial. The Ethernet plug has a cover / sleeve that fits over the cut-out in the insert.

IIRC you can remove the felt covered plastic from underneath by opening or lifting up the first compartment. You should find it's just held in place by a couple of cross head screws (again this is how it is on a W203).

It could be that the large hole is where the cables are fed through for the holder used by the Motorola cradle?

Hope this helps...

Attachments

• Phone insert.JPG
    Phone insert.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Phone connectors.JPG
    Phone connectors.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 44
You mean it actually is a coin holder? :crazy:

I've had a good look around and, whilst the holes to feed the cables through are there, there are no cables. Not sure what you mean by the cross head screws bit. In the bottom compartment there is a long plastic plate with cross head screws in it at the back, is this what you mean?

amwebby said:
You mean it actually is a coin holder? :crazy:

Yep sure is :)

amwebby said:
I've had a good look around and, whilst the holes to feed the cables through are there, there are no cables. Not sure what you mean by the cross head screws bit. In the bottom compartment there is a long plastic plate with cross head screws in it at the back, is this what you mean?

Can you take a picture of it?

On my W203, the armrest has two compartments. The top one has the phone which sits in the insert I attached the picture of.

This compartment then lifts on a hinge to up to give access to the bottom compartment. Whilst it's hinged open I think that there should be some screws visible on the underside of the insert panel that you've just hinged out of the way. I know your car is a CL but I'm guessing it's an almost identical install as mine was also factory fitted with COMAND and the Handsfree phone in the centre console.

I'll try and take some pics of mine but I can't do that until tomorrow evening...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom