Motors Dealers & MOT Advisories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian_Mac

Evening all

If buying a car from a dealer who agrees to put a 12 month MOT on the car which throws up a couple of advisories would you expect these items to be rectified before taking delivery?

One item in particular relates to brake pipe corrosion which is slightly concerning.

Thanks

depends really. advisories often are nothing in reality.

however buying the car i'd ask them to rectify the problems as part of the deal. then its really up to you if u still have it when they say no - they are advisaries so should be perfectly safe, just something you may want to budget for sooner rather than later.

The negotiation for advisories should be done before you agree on a price.

Most advisories are not up to much, I've had them pointed out one year and then they've not even been noted in the next test.

Mine said that my front wheel bearings were worn, I checked it and had both MB and PCS take a look both said there fine. I have since driven 18k miles on the same supposed worn bearings, a year later no mention.

I have had advisories for "corroded" pipes and had them passed several years later. I also had a failure on my wifes car for an indicator bulb not being orange enough . ( clear factory lenses and orange bulb). Swapped sides with the bulbs and it passed !

Advisories are exactly that and most mot testers just note them to cover theirselves in case the car gets a tug by vosa. A quick rub down and a coat of anti corrosion paint would usually sort light brake pipe corrosion

I got one for having winter tyres fitted on wifey's car.

I've had the orange bulb one in the past too.

On my MB, MOT'd at the local dealer, and not doing many miles inbetween, it seemed to alternate between the chip in the windscreen and the scuffed outer edges of the front tyres. This year it got none at all!

Sorry if you agreed on an MOT pass, then thats what you should expect... The advisories are mostly a way for the station to cover their cracks.

A good dealer may do them anyway...

Sorry if you agreed on an MOT pass, then thats what you should expect... The advisories are mostly a way for the station to cover their cracks.

A good dealer may do them anyway...

A friend purchased a car and took it in for a service, anyway the chap misplaced the mot and checked on dvla website and it had several advisories for the car purchased 2 weeks ago. According to the mot certificate it had none. We now know the garage stuck a plain piece of paper over the advisories and gave him the photocopy. No way of proving this...as he tried asking the garage and they just denied it. It is rather silly printing it on a plain piece of paper which now includes the last three mileage recorded incase of clocking...stupid idea me finks. End of the day yes it is up to the mot tester to watch their back. More points equals licence taken away so can't do mots again. I took my merc for an mot and it failed on brake pipes but he could only see the rear pipes as the covers were hiding the rest of the pipes...so him being a **** and my mate he put it down as dangerous and did not want to test it on the rolling road lol.. an hour later new pipes made up and it passed.

Last edited:
I got an advisory last year from MB for 3 corroded brake pipes. Last week the same garage said I had 2 corroded brake pipes

last year my estate FAILED on corroded brake pipes.

after a look at the car before i ordered the parts, resulted in a brand new looking brake pipe.

went back to MOT guy - he was looking at the Self levelling pipes. :doh: and thought they were brake pipes. These were also rust-free apart from from surface marks. Some sandpaper and waxoil soon sorted them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom