Motorway lane discipline - would these help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
As per title, but probably a budget buster. How about gantry signage?

10013332_469173799897238_1498543704597343530_n.jpg

Drivers either don't see or choose to ignore signage with potentially disastrous consequences (e.g. lane closed crosses on motorways) and rationalise/ignore speed limit signs so I can't imagine this idea having anymore success. Pity, though.

Judging by the photo it does not work.....Maybe a massive surge on enforcing this would help?
I actually followed (in the nearside lane) a police car travelling at 55-60MPH in the middle lane! For no apparent reason....I desperately wanted to undertake him but common sense prevailed.

Tony.

Judging by the photo it does not work.....Maybe a massive surge on enforcing this would help?
I actually followed (in the nearside lane) a police car travelling at 55-60MPH in the middle lane! For no apparent reason....I desperately wanted to undertake him but common sense prevailed.

Tony.

The photo isn't real.

^^ Thought it was a suggestion rather than reality? Seems good to me.

Nobody pays any notice to road signs, so this is a waste of time. :D

Drivers are too busy reading their phones.

Personally , I like the German model

Tony.

I would have taken pleasure in moving 1-2-3 to pass him then returning 3-2-1 in front of him before carrying on at an appropriate pace in lane 1 :devil:

I would have taken pleasure in moving 1-2-3 to pass him then returning 3-2-1 in front of him before carrying on at an appropriate pace in lane 1 :devil:

I dont think i could resist the wave if you know what i mean:devil:

Tony.

For no apparent reason....I desperately wanted to undertake him but common sense prevailed.

Tony.

I was told on a naughty boy driving course, that if the traffic is travelling bellow the speed limit then it was okay to undertake. (as long as you are not speeding)

I was told on a naughty boy driving course, that if the traffic is travelling bellow the speed limit then it was okay to undertake. (as long as you are not speeding)

What the Highway Code actually says is
Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

Nobody pays any notice to road signs, so this is a waste of time. :D

Drivers are too busy reading their phones.

Bluetooth hotspots with subliminal texting!

I often wonder if drivers are actually aware of their obligation to return to the left lane, or maybe I drive on motorways with a higher %age of foreign nationals that are finding their way around, but some sort of aide memoire wouldn't go amiss.

What I find interesting is when (not often, though) the matrix signs are lit to remind you to drive on the left, unless overtaking ... how many drivers do so.
When there aren't reminders, how many people just blithely / blindly drive in lane 2 and call HGV drivers when they flash their lights etc ....

Tony.

Couldn't you overtake him in lane 3?

As per title, but probably a budget buster. How about gantry signage?

10013332_469173799897238_1498543704597343530_n.jpg

The snag with this is that you'll get people (I know such people and have spoken to them) who insist that they drive in the middle lane precisely because they are overtaking slower traffic.

It doesn't matter that it might be half-a-mile away, they won't move into the left lane in case someone else in the middle lane blocks them in - which I have to say can be a right pain if you're no particular hurry and just cruising along.

I think your point was that the police car was in the middle lane and not lane 1 and you saw no apparent reason for this. I did understand that.

Bluetooth hotspots with subliminal texting!

I often wonder if drivers are actually aware of their obligation to return to the left lane, or maybe I drive on motorways with a higher %age of foreign nationals that are finding their way around, but some sort of aide memoire wouldn't go amiss.

I'm always telling her ladyship not to bother texting me when she knows perfectly well I'm driving ( in the morning and at home time ) since I can't read them even if I do hear the 'ping' .

Another enforcement method might just be to kit the police out with ' basher strips' along the near side of their vehicles and if a dozy lane hogger doesn't respond to a warning , they get nudged into the correct lane :devil:

The snag with this is that you'll get people (I know such people and have spoken to them) who insist that they drive in the middle lane precisely because they are overtaking slower traffic.

It doesn't matter that it might be half-a-mile away, they won't move into the left lane in case someone else in the middle lane blocks them in - which I have to say can be a right pain if you're no particular hurry and just cruising along.

Someone like themselves, perhaps? :doh: So a reminder might just serve them well too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom