Motorway speed judder build-up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeorgeCaveney

Car
2006 Vito
Afternoon hive-mind.
Hope your'e all vaguely sane and well.

So. Yesterday I took a dual carriageway journey. Whoo-hoo! At about 70mph a faint low rumble began at the back end. It escalated to almost a judder. Muffled noise, no banging but obvious issue. Almost like I'd wandered onto a rumble strip, but not as pronounced and a lower frequency. Pulled over, inspected, nothing obvious. Carried on for another 20-odd miles no issue.

Same on return journey.... A-roads and stop-start no issue. Ten minutes on the dual carriageway at 70-ish same thing. Stopped. Inspected. Nothing. Another 20 minutes dual carriageway no problem

WEIRD.

ANY THOUGHTS?

Would make sense, I suppose. But why the judder on a supposedly even road surface, and only at a certain speed?
I'll take a closer look underneath tomorrow - couldn't tell if the springs were wet or had oil on them.

Well, if anyone is faintly interested, it seems the problem is likely related to a loose brake part.
I know - thrilling stuff.

Stay tuned.

Update....

The brakes needed a look anyway, but turns out it's not the cause of the judder.
RHS rear wheel is getting hot, but it's not brake related as far asI can tell. I'm guessing it's therefore a bearing issue, and I'm also guessing it's wise to give both sides the same treatment if so.

Any thoughts?

Well done for finding the problem,and yes doing both sides is best unless you know that you reversed into a curb or something that might have shocked the bearing and again you might as well sort the rear brakes while you are getting the bearings changed.

Might be prop shaft related.

Can any play in the wheel bearings be detected via MOT style test?

Might be prop shaft related.

Can any play in the wheel bearings be detected via MOT style test?

Front taper wheel bearing can be tested in the air by applying pressure at 12 and 6pm
rear wheel bearings typically have no play, and if they do are shot.

I'm guessing (literally) that if it wasn't brake or bearing related, it wouldn't explain the wheel on one side being hotter than the other.
It's not the brakes, as I've had the rear brakes completely overhauled. Luckily, they needed doing anyway and the rear adjuster had seized.

Of course, I've linked the hot wheel to the intermittent judder, and they may be separate issues entirely.
It's going back in for another look shortly - will post any useful insights. :)

Thanks.

Hot wheel is usually bearing or binding brake caliper.

This might sound stupid but what about tyre's ? (Not for heat obviously) it doesn't take much to un balance a tyre

Perhaps the tyre is the problem,bought a Nissan van many years ago that had the same problem as yours
didn't bother me too much,but after a rear puncture that could not be repaired I had both rear tyres replaced
and you've guessed ... 80+ mph no Judder.

This might sound stupid but what about tyre's ? (Not for heat obviously) it doesn't take much to un balance a tyre

On a 210 430 I had, I swapped the wheels over which had tyres on.

IIRC, the wheels and tyres were fine on the car they came from, but because the tyres wore to suit that car, didn't get on well with the 210 resulting in vibration and a humming noise as though a Lancaster Bomber was flying near the car.

The wheels/tyres may have even been on the 210 earlier in its life, but some kind of work had been carried out on the suspension since they were last used? It's something I can't remember clearly now, but the problems were down to the way the tyres had worn at some point previously.

It could also be a tyre that has been fitted against its correct rotation direction.

Also, if the car has been stood for a long time, there could be a flat spot somewhere.

Last edited:
Have had that all checked out, and all tyres replaced and wheels balanced at the same time. Pretty sure it's the bearings but waiting on the repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom