Motorway speeding ticket for 80mph?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
I was glancing through the local paper this evening, seeing if I knew anyone who had been a bit careless and sent to the naughty step at Bournemouth Magistates Court. Amongst the court cases I spotted one that got me thinking a bit. I'll post it below with the guys name edited.

GEORGE ******* R********, aged 38 and of B****** Road, Bournemouth, admits driving a Volkswagen on the M27 at Ower, Southampton on March 14 at a speed exceeding 70 miles per hour, namely 80mph. Fined £192, to pay a £30 surcharge, to pay £85 costs. Driving record endorsed with three points.

Now unless a speed camera was set up on one of the bridges to catch everyone doing more than 70mph, the above was stopped by a motorway patrol car doing 80mph. Now I know the limit is 70mph, but if you do that you'll be overtaken all day long and stray into the outside lane doing just 70mph you won't be popular..
I was led to believe, (wrongly??) a long time ago, if conditions allow, up to 85mph is acceptable without getting a pull.
Am I wrong? Do I risk a ticket, fine and points if I stray over 70mph.
Does the limit + 10% still apply (so 77mph is OK) or have things changed?
Do police have different limits in different forces?

I admit, I was surprised to read the guy above got a penalty for 80mph on what is a 4 lane motorway unless his driving manner was the cause of being stopped. Without knowing the full story its difficult to guess.
Just wondering if anyone else has thoughts on getting prosecuted for doing 80mph. I'm willing to bet each and every member has done that, or exceeded it without a ticket.

A chap who works for me got pulled for 78 in a 70 and got let off with a warning

Gav, I 've driven past motorway police at 85 without a problem. Just following the flow and speed of traffic ahead of me.

Maybe if stopped by a patrol, they were lenient and rounded it down to 80, gather than the actual highest?

So the driver gets a ‘cheaper’ lesson in reminding him to stick to the limit.

Maybe if stopped by a patrol, they were lenient and rounded it down to 80, gather than the actual highest?

So the driver gets a ‘cheaper’ lesson in reminding him to stick to the limit.

Could be. Without knowing everything its just guesswork.

I got fined for doing 81 on a motorway. Got off with a fine and a speed awareness course. I was a bit gutted as I had assumed you were ‘ok’ at 80ish!

Gav, I 've driven past motorway police at 85 without a problem. Just following the flow and speed of traffic ahead of me.
Lol you are brave Rog :D

I see what you are saying though, I doubt they’d pull you for 80

The 2mph and 10% are guidlines. Most police forces adhere to these, but there's nothing stopping a police force from prosecuting a motorist for driving 71mph in a 70mph zone, if they wish to. In short, it's not a defence for the driver.

Now unless a speed camera was set up on one of the bridges to catch everyone doing more than 70mph, the above was stopped by a motorway patrol car doing 80mph.

Camera vans, or other more covert cameras, are very common on motorway bridges and you'll get a ticket at a true 79MPH.

If you drive on motorways a lot you're asking for trouble doing more than an indicated 80. They can check your speed at 1km and they're often cleverly positioned so they're out of normal sight lines or they're hidden by something until you're on top of them.

Camera vans, or other more covert cameras, are very common on motorway bridges and you'll get a ticket at a true 79MPH.

If you drive on motorways a lot you're asking for trouble doing more than an indicated 80. They can check your speed at 1km and they're often cleverly positioned so they're out of normal sight lines or they're hidden by something until you're on top of them.

I’ve never seen a camera van on a motorway.

A roads yes. Motorways never. I drive a lot too.

The 2mph and 10% are guidlines. Most police forces adhere to these, but there's nothing stopping a police force from prosecuting a motorist for driving 71mph in a 70mph zone, if they wish to. In short, it's not a defence for the driver.

I agree Mark. There isn't much a patrol car can do when a stream of cars pass by all doing over 70 though.

I thought this government, well Cameron's government, were seriously considering raising the limit to 80mph a while ago?

Just two months ago
Increase motorway speed limit to 80mph to drive Britain's productivity, says Government minister

I’ve never seen a camera van on a motorway.

A roads yes. Motorways never. I drive a lot too.

Whereabouts? They're very common on M4/M40. Saw one the other day on M65 (in a works layby around a bend). Cheshire police use tripod mounted cameras with the officer squatting down behind it so hard to see until close.

Whereabouts? They're very common on M4/M40.

Oh shit really?? Where on the M4 lol

i've been caught by one.

@clk320x M4 West just before Severn tolls.

Oh yeah I heard that was a hotspot. Never seen one myself though. Is it after it drops to the 50mph?

Ps they are removing the tolls December

Oh yeah I heard that was a hotspot. Never seen one myself though.

Are you too busy texting Abs?:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom