Motorway speeding ticket for 80mph?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Out of interest ... what's the lowest motorway speed you've seen a prosecution for (where there wasn't some more serious offence involved as well)?

That's where the HE vehicles sit now ;)

77mph.

I should qualify that this was in a 70 limit.

I've seen 58 in a 50 mph motorway zone.

77mph.

I should qualify that this was in a 70 limit.

Presumably this was a vehicle that was allowed to do 70? If so that's quite surprising unless there were other factors involved (doing it in adverse weather conditions, tailgating, under-taking, etc.)?

58 in a 50 zone would be expected as the guideline is FPN from 57 mph. Of course it's 79 mph for a 70 zone.

Cant recall the last time I saw a 'jam sandwich' sitting on one of those ramps waiting for miscreants to drive past..
Today between J15 and J16 on the M4, Police patrol car on the west bound carriageway viewing ramp. Quite often seen on the Swindon stretch as it's a 'rat-run' avoiding the town congestion.

Today between J15 and J16 on the M4, Police patrol car on the west bound carriageway viewing ramp. Quite often seen on the Swindon stretch as it's a 'rat-run' avoiding the town congestion.

I frequent junction 15 at least twice per week! noted ;-)

Having recently attended the speed awareness course, the limit on the sign is the maximum permitted. Otherwise its up to the police officers desecration. Apparently advisory speed limits aren't enforced but you will be in a bad position if you had an accident at a higher speed. Sort of try your luck pank sign

Sent from my H8116 using Tapatalk

There must be some patrols as I have seen quite a number of people who have been stopped by unmarked cars. The charge sheet shows what type of vehicle (marked/unmarked) stopped the motorist and the equipment used to measure the speed.

Cant recall the last time I saw a 'jam sandwich' sitting on one of those ramps waiting for miscreants to drive past.....
You will still see plenty of them up here ; or just as often not , as they have a lot of 'covert' little hiding places where they can sit in wait without being seen by approaching traffic , but will come out after you if you go by to fast ... as one of our former members ( Dave ) found to his cost .

If you get stopped for exceeding the speed limit I don't think the excuse of I was only keeping up with everyone else officer or the guy behind me was pushing, would wash.

I wouldn't think of holding up speeding vehicles on dual carriageways or motorways but on single carriageway roads I don't taken kindly to someone up my rear end when I'm already at or often 10% above the limit. I will not be bullied in to grossly exceeding the limit for anybody so they are wasting their time and if they persist in driving dangerously close I will just slow down and wait for an opportunity to indicate left and let them pass. Driving too close in an attempt to intimidate the driver in front has become a common flaw in every day driving.

I’ve always assumed that any fine incurred for speeding or parking is a voluntary fine paid by he driver through choice, after all we know the speed limits and parking rules. and sometimes choose to ignore them when we think we won’t get caught.

I understood that the 2mph/+10% “common knowledge” rule was based upon the vagaries of a mechanical speedometer.

I understood that the 2mph/+10% “common knowledge” rule was based upon the vagaries of a mechanical speedometer.

It was a published guideline from ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) and then NPCC (National Police Chiefs Council). It's not based on speedo tolerance as by law they cannot under-read (so your true speed will always be less than shown on the dash).

I’ve always assumed that any fine incurred for speeding or parking is a voluntary fine paid by he driver through choice, after all we know the speed limits and parking rules. and sometimes choose to ignore them when we think we won’t get caught.

Speeding fines are most definitely NOT voluntary.

If you elect not to pay a speeding fine you will find yourself in a fine defaulters court. If you refuse to pay in that court it becomes wilful refusal and the penalty for that can be imprisonment.

If you get a fine, just pay it. Its a lot easier in the long run......

If you get stopped for exceeding the speed limit I don't think the excuse of I was only keeping up with everyone else officer or the guy behind me was pushing, would wash.

I wouldn't think of holding up speeding vehicles on dual carriageways or motorways but on single carriageway roads I don't taken kindly to someone up my rear end when I'm already at or often 10% above the limit. I will not be bullied in to grossly exceeding the limit for anybody so they are wasting their time and if they persist in driving dangerously close I will just slow down and wait for an opportunity to indicate left and let them pass. Driving too close in an attempt to intimidate the driver in front has become a common flaw in every day driving.
I’ve become aware that driving tight up the derrière of the car in front isn’t just the domain of intimidatory drivers wanting to go faster. I follow the same process as you to unclamp vehicles from my rear bumper, but often then find that they don’t go any faster and sometimes even go slower! Why they do it is a mystery to me. A few years ago I had a colleague who drove this way; when I asked him why he just laughed and shrugged his shoulders. He didn‘t change!

It was a published guideline from ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) and then NPCC (National Police Chiefs Council). It's not based on speedo tolerance as by law they cannot under-read (so your true speed will always be less than shown on the dash).
Usually, not always. If you’ve fitted larger wheels without making suitable reductions in tyre profiles, the speedo reading will be lower. For instance, if you go from 205/55/R18 to 205/55/R20 (assuming they still fit under the wheel arch), your speedometer will be 10.8% too slow. When your speedo reads 60 mph, your actual speed will be 66.5 mph.

Speeding fines are most definitely NOT voluntary

You misunderstand me, they most certainly are voluntary - it’s the drivers choice to exceed the posted limit.

You misunderstand me, they most certainly are voluntary - it’s the drivers choice to exceed the posted limit.
I think you mean breaking the speed limit is voluntary?
The fine , if caught , most certainly isn't.

I think you mean breaking the speed limit is voluntary?
The fine , if caught , most certainly isn't.
I think perhaps the notion of voluntary speeding fines was meant in a humorous way, rather like the way in which Roy Jenkins MP said that “inheritance tax is broadly speaking a voluntary levy paid by those who distrust their heirs more than they dislike the Inland Revenue”.

I'd say it depends more on whether you get caught.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom