Motorway speeding ticket for 80mph?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The variable speed limit cameras on the M4 are live as are those on the M25. Ditto any fixed cameras.

The HADECS installations now monitor the VSL on the M25, which is why you have the three small grey cameras on a post about fifty yards before the acrtual installation. If there are cameras in the individual lane boxes in the gantries, they are set to a different trigger speed than the HADECS installations; you can go through under the gantries at 80 with a 40 limit displayed, and there is no flash. I venture to suggest that there are no cameras in those boxes.

What do you mean by VSL?

If you mean those grey boxes that sit behind the gantry, then I’ve seen them flash on the m25 and m4 (Newport)

I've seen them flash too on the M25, but not for some years. I see the HADECS go off quite often. I can't speak for the M4 near Newport.

As a matter of self-preservation, I always slow down (if necessary) to 75 mph for any HADECS installation, even on a bone-dry deserted motorway on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

Last edited:
QUOTE="como, post: 2684623, member: 68115"]I used to subscribe to the belief that doing 80 on a motorway/dual carriageway with a 70 speed limit would not attract a fine etc. That was until June when I got caught doing 80 in a 70 by a camera van and got the choice of 3 points or a Speed Awareness Course. That blew that theory out of the water for me :([/QUOTE]

In North Wales, you may well get done for 51 mph in a 50 limit. The rest of the country's police forces seem to take a more sensible view, and the CPOA (I think - used to be ACPO) guidelines would allow you 79 mph before considering enforcement. As always, aggravating factors might have a bearing on any action taken.

Just watch out for camera vans on overbridges and HADECS installations on the side of the motorway gantries. ;)

Bus Lane Cameras.
Speed Cameras.
YouTube Dash Cam Footage.
Parking Cameras.
Is there anywhere, if you are a law abiding citizen of this country, where you and your car can't get screwed for MONEY by the powers to be?
If on the other hand if you don't give a toss, like a lot of people that we all see in our daily motoring journeys, it doesn't matter.
One example I give is, while tidying up the front garden I came upon a discarded PCN. Thinking the worse, that maybe the son/daughter had dropped it. I looked at and it was a Black Ford, so releived.
Going on the the council website to see if this was a live or that it had been paid. Shock, horror, no it has not been paid. So go on the DVLA website to see what the history of the car was. No surprise to find that NO ROAD TAX, NO MOT. So go on MID and find to no surprise that there is no insurance.
My point is that if you do the right thing but slip up you get screwed, if you don't care then life can be easy.

To the OP - there has to be more to this case than the simple newspaper report.
Firstly - it seems that the offender failed the attitude test with the officer that stopped him - like “go out and catch real criminals” - that normally winds them up a bit!
Secondly - you would normally be offered a fixed penalty for that sort of speed - again the offender may have refused this at the roadside and offered to “see them in court” - it seems he got his (more expensive) wish!

I agree, there must be more to this, but I just quoted the only court report the newspaper printed.

Driver exceeds speed limit
Driver gets caught and prosecuted
Drivers is upset..

Crazy world....

I didn't see anywhere it said the driver was upset?
He may well have been, but it wasn't reported.

Just glad that posting this has opened a few eyes (mine included) into what you think is permissable, and what actually is, should the police officer be having a bad day.

Bus Lane Cameras.
Speed Cameras.
YouTube Dash Cam Footage.
Parking Cameras.
Is there anywhere, if you are a law abiding citizen of this country, where you and your car can't get screwed for MONEY by the powers to be?
If on the other hand if you don't give a toss, like a lot of people that we all see in our daily motoring journeys, it doesn't matter.
One example I give is, while tidying up the front garden I came upon a discarded PCN. Thinking the worse, that maybe the son/daughter had dropped it. I looked at and it was a Black Ford, so releived.
Going on the the council website to see if this was a live or that it had been paid. Shock, horror, no it has not been paid. So go on the DVLA website to see what the history of the car was. No surprise to find that NO ROAD TAX, NO MOT. So go on MID and find to no surprise that there is no insurance.
My point is that if you do the right thing but slip up you get screwed, if you don't care then life can be easy.

First bit in bold, yes, law abiding citizens can be anywhere without getting screwed because none of those cameras will be of any concern.

Second bit in bold, how does that work?

I agree, there must be more to this, but I just quoted the only court report the newspaper printed.

I didn't see anywhere it said the driver was upset?
He may well have been, but it wasn't reported.

Just glad that posting this has opened a few eyes (mine included) into what you think is permissable, and what actually is, should the police officer be having a bad day.
Was it you?

Go on, admit it.

Very interesting thread.

Here are the sentencing guidelines on this;

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/MCSG-October-2018-FINAL.pdf

Page 152

Basically any speed over the limit is deemed an offence. In the 'older' days when stopped by an officer you could hopefully have a pleasant chat and get away with a warning. These days its all automated. The camera system actually triggers a Notice of Intended prosecution. (NIP). This is checked by a human and then posted. If a guilty plea is accepted by post then you may get offered a speed awareness course if the speed isnt too great. If not then your plea is accepted and dealt with under the single justice system. This is a single magistrate sitting in a room with a legal advisor going through the documents setting the penalty and the fine.

A Band A fine is half a weeks pay (deemed to be £120 if on benefits or £440 if not declared)
Ban B is your weekly pay, Band C is 1.5 x your weekly pay.

Remember also that the court can impose a discretionary disqualification for any single speeding offence. This is usually only for first time offenders who are hugely over the speed limit but worth remembering.

A guilty plea by post can be accepted by the court and then adjourned for sentencing if the offender is a 'totter'. That is they have 9 or more points already or the offence will attract enough points to reach 12 or more. In this case the offender is summoned to appear. This usually means the court is considering disqualification. If the offender doesn't appear they can be disqualified in their absence so they are warned not to drive on the day of the hearing. It has happened that an offender is banned in court in their absence. The ANPR system is updated immediately and they are caught within minutes of driving whilst disqualified!!!!

Remember also that should one plead 'Not guilty' and subsequently be found guilty at a trial, the costs rise from £85 to £620!

The cameras on the M4 and M25 are definately 'live'.

" ... you may get offered a speed awareness course if the speed isnt too great " , that is if you are in England or Wales : awareness courses don't exist north of the border - bear that in mind whilst journeying up the M74 , a hotspot of rigid enforcement :)

From the Severn Bridge to the end of the M4 heading West to Pontabraham there are more speed cameras than flies on a cow's a-se , at least two overbridges around Bridgend with vans, although I haven't seen them there for a while now, average speed cameras in three stretches.

I was told the 10% plus 2 mph info on my speed awareness course by the officer taking its as part of his presentation. I've been on cruise control at 78mph ever since!!

" ... you may get offered a speed awareness course if the speed isnt too great " , that is if you are in England or Wales : awareness courses don't exist north of the border - bear that in mind whilst journeying up the M74 , a hotspot of rigid enforcement :)

Where are the enforcement spots on the M74? I'm glad you've mentioned that, as I've never bothered worrying about speed on there!

Where are the enforcement spots on the M74? I'm glad you've mentioned that, as I've never bothered worrying about speed on there!

From the wee bit that says you are now in Scotland until it peters out at the other end, all day every day, and in both directions! :eek:

The M74 has always been treated as "Catch as many as you can" by Scotland's Police Force! :mad:

Reactions: 219
From the wee bit that says you are now in Scotland until it peters out at the other end, all day every day, and in both directions! :eek:

The M74 has always been treated as "Catch as many as you can" by Scotland's Police Force! :mad:
I'm sure that many of us remember the thread by a once prolific poster on here after he was caught doing 138mph and subsequently had a break from driving for 18 months

Oh and the courts in Dumfries & Galloway are not particularly noted for their lenience towards speeding motorists .

Not sure if already mentioned in the thread

Some new cameras have beeen installed this week in the 50MPH stretch to the M4 bridge tolls no signs saying not in use so maybe live.

I suspect installed for the change in lanes planned, these will be there for a while I suspect as they aren't expected to complete the work until sometime in 2019.

Not sure if already mentioned in the thread

Some new cameras have beeen installed this week in the 50MPH stretch to the M4 bridge tolls no signs saying not in use so maybe live.

I suspect installed for the change in lanes planned, these will be there for a while I suspect as they aren't expected to complete the work until sometime in 2019.

these are for the planned works to remove the tolls

To add a bit of fuel to the fire
Was flashed last night on the VSL stretch going towards Leeds on the M62. Had cruise set at 50 mph. Was driving a Truck, (max national speed limit on a M way is 60 by law)
Absolutely no speed limit shown above on the gantries. 2am and guess what? Got flashed!! By the so called HADECS

Got off at the next junction to be sure, Spun myself around to have a look and absolutely nothing showing above on the gantries!

Have now have to wait for 14 days to pass. Possibly longer as it’s a commercial vehicle, and will therefore be forwarded to the leasing Company and passed across depending on the admin teams work ethic.

Intrigued to know what NIP they send. When no speed limit was enforced...

To add a bit of fuel to the fire
Was flashed last night on the VSL stretch going towards Leeds on the M62. Had cruise set at 50 mph. Was driving a Truck, (max national speed limit on a M way is 60 by law)
Absolutely no speed limit shown above on the gantries. 2am and guess what? Got flashed!! By the so called HADECS

Got off at the next junction to be sure, Spun myself around to have a look and absolutely nothing showing above on the gantries!

Have now have to wait for 14 days to pass. Possibly longer as it’s a commercial vehicle, and will therefore be forwarded to the leasing Company and passed across depending on the admin teams work ethic.

Intrigued to know what NIP they send. When no speed limit was enforced...

Maybe flashed for someone else?

Well i have drivers up and down the country everyday, in terms of camera vans, they all tell me the same thing - A40 towards cardiff just before goodrich castle (it's there 5 times out of 10), A74/M74 just past carlisle (I'd say it's there 8 out of 10 times). A driver got zapped on the M74 for doing 74 mph, so if you want to be safe, forget the 10% thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom