Motorway speeding ticket for 80mph?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Regularly on M6 Bridges
And the same on the M5 too - first time I saw one I was doing 80 until I was very close as I didn’t expect there to be one up on a bridge. So I was slightly concerned. But nothing ever turned up in the post.

I’ve never seen a camera van on a motorway.

A roads yes. Motorways never. I drive a lot too.
My speedcam detector was buzzing at almost every bridge on the M6 in Lancashire this week, warning of known mobile camera locations. Check every bridge before you get too close to it.

Speeding fines are most definitely NOT voluntary.

If you elect not to pay a speeding fine you will find yourself in a fine defaulters court. If you refuse to pay in that court it becomes wilful refusal and the penalty for that can be imprisonment.

If you get a fine, just pay it. Its a lot easier in the long run......
Unless that is you are in the USA!
This auto speeding fine network system in the UK boiled down, is actually stealth taxation /monetary stream taken to a whole new level.
But then us Brits are historically the masters of taxation, and I swear if the UK Gubbermint could put a meter on the marital bed they would do so, & tax that activity, or fine you for excessive fornication ! :eek:

These types of speeding fines have to be served by on duty uniformed police officers in the US, and in my adopted home state of Colorado, the State legislature voted it down as un-constitutional, ostensibly concluded by voter pressure upon the legislation about 10 years ago by "growing a pair" !
So in short if you get one in the mail over here, you simply ignore it, & in short its not enforceable.
So it becomes voluntary, and suppose if you like adding to the local authority's coffers over here you go ahead and pay it !
Life made simple .
Tuercas viejas

I was told the 10% plus 2 mph info on my speed awareness course by the officer taking its as part of his presentation. I've been on cruise control at 78mph ever since!!
Why the need to sit on the very uppermost margin? Is it a need to 'nearly' bend the rules? Suppose while in cruise you need to urgently accelerate then you have left yourself no margin! Would it mean swallowing some pride by setting the speed at 75 (if you must) maybe even 73?
Minimising stress & the risk of prosecution however seemingly unfair must be more sensible & healthy. I admit to pushing my luck sometimes & then have the memory of the journey or holiday ruined by worrying if I have tripped a camera somewhere. So much energy wasted pushing boundaries as if to prove something I know not what. In the end we don't win so get used to it.

This post reminds me of driving a demo Leyland Olympian double decker to Cleveland from San Francisco.
Out in Eastern Colorado near Julesberg and into the start of the great Central Plain ( the American Never Never ) I am scudding along at 65 with a hummin' Cummins L10 in the back, when the limit back then was "55" & I can't drive 55 ! FFS
Going over the rise and there he was, a highway patrol officer stood in the road with his Remington pump action like was riding the Deadwood stage as shotgun.
Hey you were doing 65 and the limit is 55 & how fast is this rig?
She'll do 82mph!
Wur you going with this? he uttered.
Cleveland Ohio
And when do you expect to get there?
Well officer if I have drive at this stupid 55 I will have a beard like Khomeini when get there !
You from Britain?
Yes, & the officer makes big snigger Brits are good comedians, do you know Benny Hill? FFS No!
Look you can always go 10% over the limit, so 62 to say 64 & you would be OK but you were doing 65!
That's a $35 fine.

Now you will have to put 35 bucks in an envelope I provide, and I will take you to the post office where you place it in the mail box.
Park yur bus over thur!
He take me about 5 miles in the patrol car to the post office & after paying the fine, the question ???
Do you fancy a cup of coffee?
Yes that'll be nice?
We spend half hour chatting and he takes me back the bus.
Hey son remember, everything is fair & reasonable in the USA .
Drive careful now see yah ,
'Adios amigo"

Tuercas viejas

There are bits in your story that I find hard to believe.

You didn't know who Benny Hill was.......??? :crazy:

There are bits in your story that I find hard to believe.

You didn't know who Benny Hill was.......??? :crazy:
What don't you find believable ?
That I don't know who Benny Hill was personally , I don't , l do you?

I know the UK is a small densely populated island, but the UK ain't that small !
See some believable stats:-
United Kingdom vs. Montana | Just the Stats

Just as tail piece within State of Montana not so long ago, there was NO speed limit during daylight hours and 85 at night ! The road signs stated "What is fair & reasonable"!
It all came to a screeching end with a blanket 85, and you might ask why ?
Because Mercedes was using the state as a free test track, no Montanabahns was the legislation cry in the State House .

Tuercas viejas

This post reminds me of driving a demo Leyland Olympian double decker to Cleveland from San Francisco.
Out in Eastern Colorado near Julesberg and into the start of the great Central Plain ( the American Never Never ) I am scudding along at 65 with a hummin' Cummins L10 in the back, when the limit back then was "55" & I can't drive 55 ! FFS
Going over the rise and there he was, a highway patrol officer stood in the road with his Remington pump action like was riding the Deadwood stage as shotgun.
Hey you were doing 65 and the limit is 55 & how fast is this rig?
She'll do 82mph!
Wur you going with this? he uttered.
Cleveland Ohio
And when do you expect to get there?
Well officer if I have drive at this stupid 55 I will have a beard like Khomeini when get there !
You from Britain?
Yes, & the officer makes big snigger Brits are good comedians, do you know Benny Hill? FFS No!
Look you can always go 10% over the limit, so 62 to say 64 & you would be OK but you were doing 65!
That's a $35 fine.

Now you will have to put 35 bucks in an envelope I provide, and I will take you to the post office where you place it in the mail box.
Park yur bus over thur!
He take me about 5 miles in the patrol car to the post office & after paying the fine, the question ???
Do you fancy a cup of coffee?
Yes that'll be nice?
We spend half hour chatting and he takes me back the bus.
Hey son remember, everything is fair & reasonable in the USA .
Drive careful now see yah ,
'Adios amigo"

Tuercas viejas
Hi , I went for a bus ride in San Francisco on a Leyland ( don't know model ) double decker and the engine ran hot and no air con!

I think there was a Bristol Blue double decker used as a ticket office in a large square.

Hi , I went for a bus ride in San Francisco on a Leyland ( don't know model ) double decker and the engine ran hot and no air con!

I think there was a Bristol Blue double decker used as a ticket office in a large square.
It was the Grey Line using ex New York City Leyland Atlantean buses which were hated by the bus union mechanics & influenced by Irish Americans during The Troubles!
Mike Wurby of the Gray Line (Grosvenor Tours) purchased the fleet . and used them as tour buses quite successfully.
A friend of mine Malcomb made the move from the Leyland repair workshops in Lancashire to SFO, to look after the fleet as an employee of The Grey Line.
These were gradually painted red after reception in California from MTA's Royal Blue livery.,

The tour business flourished and he then purchased ten air conditioned Leyland' Olympian 6 wheeler 86 seaters powered by Cummins L10 engines bodies built in Lowestoft /ECW coachworks .

The was demo unit which I drove around the US & Canada and ended up in Niagara Falls with Brampton Transit.
Tuercas viejas

Last edited:
My speedcam detector was buzzing at almost every bridge on the M6 in Lancashire this week, warning of known mobile camera locations. Check every bridge before you get too close to it.
So what do you do, exceed the limit then deaccelerate every time you come to a bridge? What a highly intelligent idea to ensure a stress-free drive & confound following vehicles by the constant change in speed every time a bridge looms. The really clever bit is that by exceeding the limit twixt bridges an immense amount of time is saved, probably all of a few Nano-seconds at the end of the drive. One wonders what does one do with all that saved time. Then there is of course a smug sense at beating the system which says more about an unflattering mind-set than intended.

So what do you do, exceed the limit then deaccelerate every time you come to a bridge? What a highly intelligent idea to ensure a stress-free drive & confound following vehicles by the constant change in speed every time a bridge looms. The really clever bit is that by exceeding the limit twixt bridges an immense amount of time is saved, probably all of a few Nano-seconds at the end of the drive. One wonders what does one do with all that saved time. Then there is of course a smug sense at beating the system which says more about an unflattering mind-set than intended.
People sometimes do this on the M25, somewhat frustrating when they slow to 67mph in front of me and then off they go again at 80 until the next bridge.

People sometimes do this on the M25, somewhat frustrating when they slow to 67mph in front of me and then off they go again at 80 until the next bridge.

I've done a lot of motorway driving in recent times and whilst I usually see people slow down for gantry cameras as normal, I've started to notice people slowing down for the actual signs with the speed camera symbol on them too. 😂

Over here we call 'em blue light specials , basically cops in cars with radar or aerial (aircraft) speed checks.
First thing is motorists coming in the other direction start flashing their lights warning "Banditos"!
By that time most motorists have a radar detector howls followed by road route report websites broadcasting if your cell phone is active .
"Like Radar is active at mile marker "xxx ""
or
"The Highway Patrol are operating speed traps between mile marker xxx & yyy.
Then its all slow a bit and look for "banditos or blue light specials".
Tuercas viejas

You have made assumptions in your reply without knowing any facts. I provided facts to a contributor about mobile speed cams on motorway bridges. This had been disputed by another contributor. The advice about checking bridges was directed to anyone who drives at 70 plus. Personally I am not in the habit of doing that but use a speed cam detector for urban and some rural locations where it is easy to creep over the limit through unfamiliarity with the area. The purchase was prompted after being zapped by a fixed camera on a downhill ramp onto an urban dual carriageway. My first and last conviction in more than 30 years and my second in more than 50 years. No doubt that you have never been fined or attended a speed awareness course. Please let us know when it happens.

Personally I am not in the habit of doing that but use a speed cam detector for urban and some rural locations where it is easy to creep over the limit through unfamiliarity with the area.

Do you really mean a detector? Those worked (mostly) with old RADAR guns but are next to useless with modern Laser ones (by the time it sounds they already have your speed). I'm guessing you have a GPS-based warning device, which is OK for fixed cameras & common mobile check sites so long as you keep it updated.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but Waze if a user fed app that has helped me out a few times on the A23. Mobile road safety camera on a bridge pointing toward the oncoming traffic. Warns you 300yds before the camera. May help some of you?

I had a similar mobile camera warning from Google Maps not long ago (Google owns Waze).

And radarbot seems pretty good for knowing the speed cameras.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom