Motorway speeding ticket for 80mph?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I do, however, find Waze to show the correct speed limit at all times (I am assuming the same applies to Apple Maps and Google Maps, but I don't use these regularly).
As a driver, you shouldn't have to rely upon a third-party tech solution to determine the applicable speed limit. If anything more than the Mk1 Eyeball is required, then the limit is inadequately (or confusingly) signed, imo.

One of the perverse effects of the relaxation in the signing requirements is that speed limit terminal signs can now be totally obscured by vegetation yet the limit remains enforceable. Not so much of an issue in cities perhaps, but in rural areas where there are often transitions from National Limit to 30mph, and the 30mph section has a regular system of street lighting (so no need for repeaters), then a driver can easily be unwittingly travelling at double the limit which is totally inappropriate.

As a driver, you shouldn't have to rely upon a third-party tech solution to determine the applicable speed limit. If anything more than the Mk1 Eyeball is required, then the limit is inadequately (or confusingly) signed, imo.

Very true. The reason I said it was 'an annoyance', is because I have it displayed via the HUD in the middle of my field of vision, mostly saying 30 (when it's 20). So I have a useless piece of information stuck in front of my face, that I can't use because I don't trust it. And I obviously don't want to switch-off the HUD completely, it's great for other things (speed and satnav instructions), plus it's a cool toy :D.

I mentioned Waze, because what's good bout it is that it actually warns you when you exceed the speed limit, which is a great aid to have, though it's only good if you trust that it actually knows what the speed limit is, which it does. That said, it does not know the correct speed limit when there's a variable speed limit in force on the motorway, or at roadworks (unless these are long-term roadworks).

Which brings me to my next point... the car has clever adaptive cruise control that is supposed to adjust the speed of the vehicle to the speed limit applicable on that particular stretch of road (for out-of-town driving). Now, if the car can't be trusted to know the speed limit at all times, then this feature is useless as well.... I am fully aware that it's the driver's responsibility to monitor the speed, which is how I have been driving so far (without clever electronics), but I can't see the point in a feature that is supposed to help the driver in doing certain tasks, but doesn't really.

My Wife’s Volvo has a speed limiter linked to traffic sign recognition and, maybe, SatNav.

It’s pretty cool to just drive around with your foot on the floor and see the speed fluctuate.

Never use it of course, far too important that I get where I am going asap.

My Wife’s Volvo has a speed limiter linked to traffic sign recognition and, maybe, SatNav.

It’s pretty cool to just drive around with your foot on the floor and see the speed fluctuate.

Never use it of course, far too important that I get where I am going asap.

Mercs do that too though .. If you got distronic and all that the button that sets the automatic cruise control based on current speed limits, does the same for max speed when in limiter mode ....

I've found the limit recognition systems to be a bit of a mixed bag in the cars I drive.

(a) they do get confused in specific situations - mis-recognisng permanent signs on adjacent roads or slip roads.​
(b) misreading variable speed limits​
(c) out of date or incomplete satnav info​

I like to have as an advisory.

But not something I would allow to override my speed decisions.

Hi , many years ago a friend of mine was a traffic cop and he told me when he stopped people for speeding attitude counted how he treated the offence.
Generally that is a given, I repeat 'generally', but it's irrelevant when it comes to camera vans/fixed camera's is it not?
On a Sunday morning some years ago I got stopped for exceeding a 40 then a 50 mph limit, not sure by how much though & entirely due to my inattention, for I was in no hurry. Plods in unmarked silver BMW estate had followed me & subsequently spoke to me severely, cap less (which I believe had relevance) they actually said they were arresting me for both infringements !!!!!!!!!!! Oh they also commented that my number plates were illegal, something about no markings. As a white haired old git driving a very shiny black SLK I was polite & contrite as they made me sweat for about 15 minutes then sent me on my way with a paper chit recording the stop & warning I WOULD be nicked if caught again. My guess is that if I had got stroppy & indignant I would have been booked. Sometimes 'discretion is the better part of valour' a concept that too many with big ego's wasting energy on fighting lost causes cannot cope with.

Sometimes 'discretion is the better part of valour' a concept that too many with big ego's wasting energy on fighting lost causes cannot cope with.

It's referred to elsewhere as the 'attitude test' - and failing it can make things worse than they would oterwise be where there is some discretion that could be allowed.

...On a Sunday morning some years ago I got stopped for exceeding a 40 then a 50 mph limit, not sure by how much though.... they actually said they were arresting me for both infringements !!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to ask you just how fast do you need to be driving to actually get arrested for speeding... but perhpas it isn't wise for you to answer that on a public forum....

As fast as you dare; speeding per se is not an arrestable offence.

I wanted to ask you just how fast do you need to be driving to actually get arrested for speeding... but perhpas it isn't wise for you to answer that on a public forum....
Depends on the speed and conditions. If it becomes racing on the highway or dangerous driving arising from the speeding.............

Well I was a passenger in a car with Waze and I was very impressed in a re route it did because of traffic chaos on the A12,as for whats hapening on motorways well at the weekend I had a go on the M25 and people were keeping to and below the limit on the way round anti clockwise ,on the return journey in pouring rain people were doing just about 60 and keeping distance I was quiet surprised,the only blot was of course the very few who had their rear fog lights on,but has to be said they are getting less,just 5 in a 100 mile return drive.

I was watching the Mercedes video on the adaptive cruise control and speed limits and it says that the system changes the speed when the back wheels are level with the speed sign. Great for accelerating to the speed limit when transitioning but not so great when you’re hitting a 30MPH zone from a NSL. I found the Audi system to be terrible like that.

I was watching the Mercedes video on the adaptive cruise control and speed limits and it says that the system changes the speed when the back wheels are level with the speed sign. Great for accelerating to the speed limit when transitioning but not so great when you’re hitting a 30MPH zone from a NSL. I found the Audi system to be terrible like that.
Actually it seems to depend. It is correct that it slows down as you describe but also in some instances it slows down beforehand and crosses the new speed sign at the right speed. For instance if I go through some A roads it slows down at the sign, but when I drive into our village it goes from 60 to 40 to 30 before we reach the sign and by the time we are at the sign, we have the correct speed. I don’t know why or when or what’s the difference but I wonder if the difference is between GPS speed limited and sign recognition vs map data and known speed limits where it doesn’t need sign recognition.

I wonder if the difference is between GPS speed limited and sign recognition vs map data and known speed limits where it doesn’t need sign recognition.
That’s my thought too.

I have a nasty feeling I triggered a camera on the M25 close to Heathrow in the variable speed limit area. Jam packed with traffic and incidents the gantries were changing from 60 to 50 to 40 and back to 60 again and I'm sure I missed a 40mph warning and got a flash.

I'll find out soon enough. Not happy as I've been points free for many years.

Oh dear. Believe it or not, I got my license in 1992 and also been driving lorries and coaches and still managed to never get a speeding ticket or point in my life. I think the fact that my license was my livelihood for ten or so years made me subconsciously drive the speed limit. Or rather know what to look for, if I ‘slip’ onto the gas with my e63s lol.

I have a nasty feeling I triggered a camera on the M25 close to Heathrow in the variable speed limit area. Jam packed with traffic and incidents the gantries were changing from 60 to 50 to 40 and back to 60 again and I'm sure I missed a 40mph warning and got a flash.

I'll find out soon enough. Not happy as I've been points free for many years.
Hopefully you'll only have to attend the 4hr boring course 😴

Personally, I think that this is the result of a too-harsh points system.

As an example, most of London's roads now have a 20mph limit, including some dual carriageways that were previously 40mph... a colleague at work got 3 point twice, for doing 21mph and 23mph. So while 12 point does sound like a lot, I think the law should be more conservative with giving people points before an automatic ban with no discretion at 12 points can be applied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom