Mouse graveyard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JumboBeef

Car
W124 E220 Estate Auto
I have a stone barn. It is weather tight, and I have a workshop in there, plus coal store, log store, oil tank, other storage etc etc.

During the summer, I never see any mice in there. During the winter (this happened last year and now it happening again this year), mice seem to go in there to die.

Why?:dk:

I keep finding healthy (apart from being dead of course:p) mice in the barn, often in the middle of the floor, just....dead. I found one in there this morning, and three yesterday.

There are pently of gaps for them to get in, but why go inside (to get out of the cold weather I assume) and then just...die?

There is no poison around and as I said they look healthy before they died.

Any ideas? :confused:

I have a stone barn. It is weather tight, and I have a workshop in there, plus coal store, log store, oil tank, other storage etc etc.

During the summer, I never see any mice in there. During the winter (this happened last year and now it happening again this year), mice seem to go in there to die.

Why?:dk:

I keep finding healthy (apart from being dead of course:p) mice in the barn, often in the middle of the floor, just....dead. I found one in there this morning, and three yesterday.

There are pently of gaps for them to get in, but why go inside (to get out of the cold weather I assume) and then just...die?

There is no poison around and as I said they look healthy before they died.

Any ideas? :confused:

Possibly they all have season tickets for Portsmouth AFC !!

Regards

John

There's not a slightly leaking propane cylinder perchance? Heavier than air and can pool on the floor

There isn't a local cat who is taking his 'kills' in there for safe keeping ( or as 'presents' for you ) ?

you should check out Druks answer, bungalow near me blew up through that happening, took 2 walls clean out of the building, then caught fire & gutted the place. Propane's dangerous stuff.

you should check out Druks answer, bungalow near me blew up through that happening, took 2 walls clean out of the building, then caught fire & gutted the place. Propane's dangerous stuff.

Saves doing any DIY though...

Thanks for the replies.

No propane in there (no gas at all in the area). The oil tank isn't leaking.

No one else apart from us has access: the barn is ours and stands totally on our land.

No cats around here (we are very rural) and our dogs would see them off anyway :D

Maybe they're chucking themselves off the beams: upset with the X Factor maybe....?

Last edited:
If there are no signs of damage to the carcasses, then I would go for a heavier-than-air toxin which may not be apparent to a human nose, but which may be enough to knock out a mouse...?

As X Factor is about all that will be on our family TV set tonight, I may as well drive up and join them!

Giant angry eagle living in the rafters ?

I'm sure it's not gas because 1/ there are some big gaps under the doors (it is a barn!) and 2/ our dogs go in there all the time and they never act as though they are ill.

Hypothermia due to draughts from gaps under door you have not fixed?;)

A broken heart after their mother was killed by one of your dogs?:rolleyes:

I'm sure it's not gas because 1/ there are some big gaps under the doors (it is a barn!) and 2/ our dogs go in there all the time and they never act as though they are ill.

what dogs have you got ; terriers will definitely kill mice

You built the barn on a mouse ancestral burial ground?;)

what dogs have you got ; terriers will definitely kill mice

Three Airedale Terriers:

airedales_at_brother_water.jpg

...but they are never in there without us. If they find a dead mouse, they just sniff it and look at us as if to say 'we didn't do it!'

Three Airedale Terriers:

...but they are never in there without us. If they find a dead mouse, they just sniff it and look at us as if to say 'we didn't do it!'

There's your answer. The dogs have obviously terrified the mice to death! :)

Three Airedale Terriers:

The one in the middle has a guilty look on his face, wouldn't be surprised if he was hiding a mouse under his tongue as this picture was being taken! :doh:

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom