Mouse in my car

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Alex, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Alex

Alex Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S65, E55K & RR 5.0 SC
    Guys,

I think I have a mouse in my car. Today when going around a couple of roundabouts I heard her squeak under the dash and then front passenger seat. Perhaps of the g-force as she was quiet in a straight line.

Any idea how to get her out of the car? Ideally without touching the damn thing.

Thanks.

EDIT: I did inspect the car after the journey and found nothing unusual, so she must be hiding in the air ducts or something. What is the best way of forcing her out through the vents? I absolutely hate the thought of it dying and decomposing there even more than it chewing on some loom. Help!!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  2. rascalmaster

rascalmaster Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Brabus D5 (E280 CDI) Avantgarde, E280 CDI Sport Estate, E320 Avantgarde now sold
    mouse trap?!...
    or else mouse poison. they always go outdoors and die... (does something to them where they go looking for water i think)
    sorry to sound cruel, but when it comes to choosing between my mercedes and a rat; the rat gets it! :)

3. rascalmaster

Car:
    Brabus D5 (E280 CDI) Avantgarde, E280 CDI Sport Estate, E320 Avantgarde now sold
  4. rascalmaster

Car:
  5. rascalmaster

Car:
  6. rascalmaster

Car:
  7. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    Mice like Smooth Peanut butter (honest) put a bit of that inside a humane trap and leave overnight.

2 people like this.
  8. trapperjohn

trapperjohn MB Club Veteran

Car:
    124 300D 24V Estate
    1 person likes this.
  9. d w124

d w124 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    w124 3.6AMG styling E320 S124 Lorinser styling
    Sorry Alx as I can`t help with your problem but anythime someone mentions mouse trap,this come to mind

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Alex

Alex Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S65, E55K & RR 5.0 SC
    I'm not sure the mouse can make its way out of the ducts and in to the cabin but I will try it today. Silly question but is a mouse normally unhurt in the humane trap or dead when you find it?

Thanks for the suggestions guys, both serious and humorous. Keep them coming!

11. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Can't you leave the doors open for an hour or two, to give it chance to get out?

WARNING: Park somewhere you've never been before though, because you don't want it nipping out to get it's family and friends as you'll have a car full!! :D

12. Ted

Ted MB Club Veteran

Car:
    SLC 250D AMG Line, Yamaha XVS 1100, Jeep Renegade
    Mouse trap in the passenger footwell overnight is the way to go.
    As you say, poisoning it may mean it dies in the car. Happened to me once, and it not only REALLY smells, but also takes months for the smell to go.
    Practice setting it on a 'hair trigger' - you may get a couple of false activations but eventually you should get it. (watch your fingers)
    And after many years of baiting traps, despite reports to the contrary, my best results have always been - cheese!. Use something like cheddar which won't crumble.

Oh, and a mouse can get ANYWHERE. I have seen one go under a door.

13. This is Pete

This is Pete Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350 CDI Sport Estate, Porsche 911 CS4
    I'd use one of the humane (one-way door) traps. I'd hate to think how far blood splatters might travel with one of the spring jobs.

Or just leave the car alone for a day or two. If the mouse got in, then it should be able to find it's way back out again when it gets hungry.

14. nigel cross

nigel cross Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W164 ML350 Audi S4
    I knew this would happen!! As soon as you put computers into cars, the mice will try and escape

15. Bellow

Bellow Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    No blood spatters - but they do leak.

Mouse needs water - will leave when thirsty. When hungry it will start chewing. If it's confused with the changing weather and thinks it has to build a nest then it will chew soft materials (especially foam) to make a nest. Very destructive.

Get a few different types of trap and leave them around the car. And leave them there after you've caught the first one - they don't exist as individuals. Replace the effective trap exactly as before - the scent of the previous mouse will attract the next one.

Are you sure it isn't just a piece of trim squeaking?

16. Bellow

Bellow Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Alive. You then submerge the trap in water to drown the mouse. Or relaease it only for it to return....

17. BEJ

BEJ Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Volvo XC 60 se lux. nav. geartronic . SLK- now gone 2010 Hyundai I 10.
    Put a cat in the car to catch the mouse, then a dog to catch the cat etc. etc.

18. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    You could leave the cat sat on the mat ...

If it really is a mouse then a humane trap is worth a go, you can get them easily enough from Robert Dyas / Homebase / etc.

19. WOODYTHEWISE

WOODYTHEWISE Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E 500 Coupe.
    If you haven't actually seen a rodent put a board covered with powder (pepper, flour) anything of that ilk in the footwell (or elsewhere)you will be able to see any disturbance. A length of tape,sticky side up acrossthe full width of the car will also leave signs of being crossed. Hope this helps Kemosabe.

20. oldcro

oldcro Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Sport 3.0 HSE
    When I had mice in the house I used one of those electronic traps. A little peanut butter inside and in goes the mouse, zapped and killed instantly with no suffering or mess afterwards.

Tags: