Mouse in my car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Simply shove a cat into the vents.
pull the grill off and poke a cat into the system.
I would use a broom handle to really get kitty in there deep.

I'm not sure the mouse can make its way out of the ducts and in to the cabin but I will try it today. Silly question but is a mouse normally unhurt in the humane trap or dead when you find it?

Thanks for the suggestions guys, both serious and humorous. Keep them coming!

Mice & Rats can get through absolutely tiny spaces as they have no skeleton. The only restriction being the size of their skulls (which are tiny).

As others have pointed mice do need water. However that can take the form of condensation so I would not rely on it popping out for a pint down your local. Worth noting... They don't need to do too much chomping to leave you facing a huge bill for intermittent electrical glitches.

Humane traps will leave the mouse unharmed. However if you have one mouse you will usually find others nearby. Get some rodent poison and dot it around your garage or even inside the car if you really want to be sure of getting rid completely.

The point of a humane trap is that if you catch something you DON'T want to kill - e.g. hedgehog, robin atc, then you can set them free.
For indoor work where the problem is obvious, a snap trap is always the best.

And that's meant to be more humane than a quick kill?:confused:

Give them half a chance and they're back in there again and you've it all to do again. You can't even hold them under to get it over with as they'll escape by running up whatever you try and submerge them with!
In the house they are vermin. They spread disesase, destroy property, and create fire and flood hazards. Kill by whatever means possible!!!
The cats do much worse to them than drowning. The only quick kill is to shoot them - which will wreck the trap.

OP. I'd avoid poison if you can. It is barely strong enough for what a mouse can consume so takes days to poison them. If it runs out before they die they will twig as to what is killing them and not touch it. And the stench...has to be experienced to be believed. Set and monitor traps to get on top of the situation. Once a trap has trapped one the rest come looking and you get them too.

Drowning it is frowned upon , and i believe you can be prosecuted.

We have mink at work , and we have mink traps to catch them in , but the only legal way to kill them is to shoot them once they are in the trap so i am told.

As none of us have firearms licences , we don't use the traps much.

I never knew killing a mouse could be so fraught with beauracracy.

Had mouse(s) in my last Audi. Always parked on drive, the car must have been a warm place to build a nest. Fortunately the only damage was chewed sound deadening material.

Next door neighbour has a Lexus RX - always parks in his garage. Also keeps dried dog food in the garage. Mouse attacks & leaves him with a £700 bill for some replacement wiring!

He was setting traps for weeks after & trying to seal his garage. The Lexus was left outside for about 2 months before he dared park in the garage again.

For humane traps it is a legal requirement to check traps frequently (twice a day IIRC). The obligation is validated at point of purchase.

Didn't know drowning was frowned upon though. The only other method is shooting with an air rifle. Fine out here on the farm, but in a residential area?

It was ridiculous to take the full strength poison off the market. It was done to protect kites which may eat a semi-poisoned mouse. Well if the poison hadn't yet killed a mouse it's hardly going to kill a bird of prey, and if the kites were actually catching mice then the mice wouldn't need to be poisoned. Talk about cack handed legislation.

Last edited:

I work for the Environment Agency , so we have to be a bit careful.

Not sure it would go down well with the public if they saw us dropping an animal in a cage in the river to drown ? :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom