Moved house to get a bigger/better garage for your car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gr1nch

Car
2017 W222 S350d AMG Line Premium Plus : Iridium Silver and Black Nappa
And I don't mean staying put and building one which I guess is much more common. I'm seriously having trouble finding a place with a garage wide enough to take an S-class. So it's a move for sure, thus "garage" is my #1 search keyword on Zoopla as well as prefixes like large, wide - but not double, as two small garages stuck together doesn't help!

I feel I'm going nuts a bit [emoji16] . How much has the garage made a difference to your home purchase?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

As an en suite and heaps of wardrobe space makes all the difference for a SWMBO, I spotted a bungalow we both liked but with huge potential for a garage.

SWMBO got her en suite and wardrobes and stuff. Then the garage was built to my taste. Nope your'e not nutz just a bloke.

Including 'double' in your search should help as some garage door are over 5m wide.

New style houses with single garages are a joke. Mostly just wide enough to get the car in but not to open the car door to get out. Bad house design mainly due to the fact that nowadays people don't put the car in their garage.

I can't remember the last time we didn't put car and van in the garage. Great on frosty morning like it was today. :bannana:

We have a large double garage and you can get two large jeeps in easily if you don't have anything else in the garage, however, I do, therefore only space for one large car..... the F11 fits and you can walk around it

28fb8fdc20676bae20df9b2747e363b4.jpg

Our move (140 feet from our old house) was for a far larger house all round and a bigger garden. Job done! [emoji1303]

^^ oh and that's a full 5dr model with rear wheel and tow hitch...
f2ab425098c612c5f1ec5d953434c662.jpg

Last edited:
What length and width is it?

Edit: Found them.

Yep I can fit two in my garage too.

Blimey Len. The nights are really drawing in. Dark up there already? :eek:

Early shot from way back when. 190 gone, Honda Jazz gone, SWMBO'd car then, still got a 124 estate but its L Reg and blue.

Attachments

• Garage..jpg
    Garage..jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 62
I went for the double garage, but for my weights, not the car.

It's where I keep my testicles. There, and a warehouse down in Warrington.

It was the main reason i bought my House lol, 19ft long x 10ft wide, Just squeezed my then w126 380sel in lol.

I'm sitting at my desk in our garage, my comfort is more important than that of our cars.

Including 'double' in your search should help as some garage door are over 5m wide.

New style houses with single garages are a joke. Mostly just wide enough to get the car in but not to open the car door to get out. Bad house design mainly due to the fact that nowadays people don't put the car in their garage.

Yup when we were looking 10 years ago it was a shock how many were too small to get an R129 into (not exactly the world's biggest car). We ended up with a double, but with two doors rather than a big single one. That actually works quite well, provided the doorway is wide enough for the car. I've got a maintenance charger mounted on the pillar between the doors.

I recently sold my house in Atlanta which I bought about 12 years ago. The reason I bought it was because it had a full drive under basement that was the size of the footprint of the house. You could easily fit four cars in their and have room to work.

The only problem is that the more space you have, the more crap you find to put in it.

6b045b3713475ec3f2bb9c2aed7eca8cl-m1xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

Our garage was specifically built in the 50s (I'm told), apparently to house a large "Morse"-type Jaguar. A friend of mine who is a builder is desperate for me to allow him to change it into a "granny bungalow". However, as we have no granny to live in it, nor child who would want to live in it, it remains a garage with garden shed and coal shed attached.

The thing is, while the garage is a massive single, the drive is narrow. I've no idea how the former owner managed to back it into the garage, or out of the garage. I struggle with the Honda, though the SLK slips in like the proverbial.

A mate of mine had a 'window seat' thing on the wall at the end of his bedroom. The nose of his dad's XJ series Jag was inside it - the car was slightly too long for their garage, so they knocked a hole through into the bedroom behind for the front few feet of it!

I always insisted that we owned houses with garages after selling my first flat, I then proceeded to fill them full of crap. Full to the point where you opened the doors onto a wall of stuff.

I've chucked it all now and bought a shed for some tools/gardening stuff.

I'm free of the garage tyranny.

A mate of mine had a 'window seat' thing on the wall at the end of his bedroom. The nose of his dad's XJ series Jag was inside it - the car was slightly too long for their garage, so they knocked a hole through into the bedroom behind for the front few feet of it!

I built a workshop inside my garage with the same arrangement.

Underneath the worktop on one side is where the nose of the car sits. It meant I could have a decent size, 10 x 7 workshop and still fit two large cars in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom