Moved on to a Jaguar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

effbee584

Car
Jag XF 3.0S and 10 yr old Micra 1.2 auto with Air Con.
After 8 consecutive Mercedes over the past 16 years, I have swapped my 2007 CLS320cdi for a 3.0 Deisel S Premium Luxury XF, its a one year old ex management car with 9000 miles.
I went looking at 1 to 2yr old E350cdi coupes or saloons, perhaps a newer CLS 350cdi but after seeing the XF and doing some homework decided to have a Jag.
I have nothing adverse to say about Merc's on here or anywhere else because my experience of them has been trouble free and given me huge enjoyment and reliability.
I won't post any pictures or explain the differences I considered important unless asked.
When we are ready for dogs again, I'll be looking for a C class estate, until then I'll keep an eye on whats going on in this forum, I may even be able to contribute. I have listed a few items in the classifieds, the Viseeo has gone, just a grille and st wheel left.

That'll be the twin-turbo 275bhp diesel then?

Great cars, I'll definitely buy one at some point on the near future; they actually feel like a direct 'upgrade' from a W211.

I'd certainly be interested in how your ownership pans out.

Yep, that's the one. It was the only 'S' in a colour combination (crystal blue and ivory) we liked and one of only three among about 15 XF's, so made a quick decision, collected it Thursday pm , only done a few miles yet, so far deeply impressed with the technology and kit.
Don't feel i should gloat on this forum, but I suggest anyone changing cars to consider an XF.

I hate to say it but it's one superb car,.Good choice:thumb:

Certainly the XF (and new XJ) are on my consideration list after the W211.

I've driven a 58 2.7d and that was a nice car - didn't feel too dissimilar to my W211 albeit much slower.

Nice cars and a huge improvement on the S / X type which were awful IMO.

sorry to hear that you've downgraded:dk:....this is an MB forum so I had to get that in:) being serious I hope the new car is good for you...hope to see you back soon

PS. you will be needing this http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/forum.php?

Having had a Jag and been on there..no were near as good as the MB forums...

Last edited:
I've spent the last year intending to order an XF Sportbrake. It's a superb car. When it came to sensible decisions though, there were two problems.

Firstly, the Jag load space is too small and is particularly shallow, worse that the A6 Avant and much, much infereior to the E Class. There's no point buying an estate as a style statement, it needs to be practical.

Secondly, I found Jag dealers to be terrible. Make no mistake, I've found several MB outlets to be frustrating, uncommunicative and generally in need of a good shaking. But the Jag guys (with the exception of one very good one in Derby) made me feel like I'd stood in something unpleasant before I walked in the showroom. I went to my local dealer on a Bank Holiday and there were only two people in the showroom, one of whom was the finance manager and basically told me to come back when they weren't so busy. :wallbash:

So I ondered an E Class.

I've spent the last year intending to order an XF Sportbrake. It's a superb car. When it came to sensible decisions though, there were two problems.

Firstly, the Jag load space is too small and is particularly shallow, worse that the A6 Avant and much, much infereior to the E Class. There's no point buying an estate as a style statement, it needs to be practical.

Secondly, I found Jag dealers to be terrible. Make no mistake, I've found several MB outlets to be frustrating, uncommunicative and generally in need of a good shaking. But the Jag guys (with the exception of one very good one in Derby) made me feel like I'd stood in something unpleasant before I walked in the showroom. I went to my local dealer on a Bank Holiday and there were only two people in the showroom, one of whom was the finance manager and basically told me to come back when they weren't so busy. :wallbash:

So I ondered an E Class. .

I can see why the E class estate is the one of choice, CLS SB and the XF SB are very 'styled', OK if you don't need the space but for carrying ability its the E class all day long.
Dealers - I know where you're coming from, I found the local HA Fox dealership to be really on the ball, and Listers MB at Boston but I have issues with the local MB dealer, and just wouldn't give them my money. Some of the sales guys have poor people skills and it shows.
I have nothing against any age of MB but the current styling is not to my taste, so a Jag it was, and the dealership is about 2 miles away - bonus.

sorry to hear that you've downgraded:dk:....this is an MB forum so I had to get that in:) being serious I hope the new car is good for you...hope to see you back soon

Having had a Jag and been on there..no were near as good as the MB forums...

DOWNGRADED ???? Have you seen and driven a current XF S? its a fabulous car, although so are the various MB 350cdi E class cars. Even JC advises the XJ over the S Class, but what does he know about cars?

Details differ such as you cannot lock your key in the boot of the Jag, it pops open after 3 seconds if you try, much better than the saga a member recently went through with his key locked in the boot of his MB.

Both are excellent cars, I have nothing bad to say about any MB, the styling on the current range is not to my taste and the way some of the electronics work is rather strange (see the report I did of a CLA 220cdi AMG sport)

Am already on the Jag forum, it's much quieter, but then again there are less Jags out there, which is nice!

As I said in an earlier post when I get back to having two big dogs, I'll be looking for a good C class estate.

I didn't even look at a beemer or **** audi!

Last edited:
Don't feel i should gloat on this forum, but I suggest anyone changing cars to consider an XF.

Don't be embarrassed about buying a Jag, you're helping to support British manufacturing and you've bought a car that is a genuine rival to the Teutonic three. And if my memory serves me right, Mercedes don't make a Diesel engine with as much power as the latest Jaguar power plants.

I almost bought a 3.0S Portfolio before the Q7 but it sold very quickly otherwise I'd have had a difficult choice to make.

Don't be embarrassed about buying a Jag, you're helping to support British manufacturing and you've bought a car that is a genuine rival to the Teutonic three. And if my memory serves me right, Mercedes don't make a Diesel engine with as much power as the latest Jaguar power plants.

Absolutely not embarrassed driving a fine british car, and they do a factory tour, which I'll go on in the autumn, just a short trip to Solihull.

The Jag 3L Deisel S V twin Turbo Jag puts out 600nm of torks and 275bhp, both a little more than the Brabus chipped CLS Grand edition engine, although rather academic to me. It cruises at 80 on 1550 rpm in 8th gear, very refinedWhere I hope it is better is the mpg, quoting 47 combined against the 35 of the CLS, lower CO2 at 159 vs 215 means cheaper road tax, quoted 0-60 is a little faster at 5.9, not that I'll bother finding out.

Just different cars at the end of the day.

Last edited:
The Jag engine is a little more power but with a tiny bit less torque than the E350cdi but you are splitting hairs at that point. The Jags run by autocar on their road tests didn't give very good MPG. I hope that yours is better.

I frankly didn't look at the XF sportbrake when I got my E350 S212 since I wasn't looking for a smaller estate. However there are good looking cars.

One thing I did notice was that Jag residuals didn't look as good as MB?

We've got a sportbrake sitting around at work. It looks very smart.

I really loved the XJ until I found I couldn't fit in one.

So far I've destroyed 2 x XF on the ring, under extreme driving they shed body parts like a snake sheds it's skin. First job on one of these cars grab the lower back panel between the exhausts if there is any play or rattle make sure they fit the upgraded fixing kit as any spirited driving and you'll lose it.

I Have also driven a couple of police spec XF's, too nose heavy for precise handling and pursuit very nervous under hard cornering and braking.

A nice daily driver though and as long as you dont push them hard they wont break, but a performance car they are not.

I also drove a Jag F type last week and that too was just as underwhelming, the only one I've driven that actually made me go wow was the XK8 now that was fun.

Not decrying the OP purchase each and everyone to their own but a car not for me I'm afraid

So far I've destroyed 2 x XF on the ring, under extreme driving they shed body parts like a snake sheds it's skin. First job on one of these cars grab the lower back panel between the exhausts if there is any play or rattle make sure they fit the upgraded fixing kit as any spirited driving and you'll lose it.

I Have also driven a couple of police spec XF's, too nose heavy for precise handling and pursuit very nervous under hard cornering and braking.

A nice daily driver though and as long as you dont push them hard they wont break, but a performance car they are not.

We don't all drive at 138mph ...

I like the XF, it's not a sports car but a pseudo-GT. In some colours it looks horrific but in others it looks great.

A neighbour has one, I like it but - and it's a big but - I wouldn't buy it for myself as I prefer my C207.

Enjoy your new car - please put some pictures up. We love cars :thumb:

A few forum guys moving to jag at the moment...I must say I was nearly tempted with a 07 plate XK last year before I bought the E55, however a Jag (S-type) has the award for worst car I ever owned and its kinda hard to get away from that brand image...not saying I would never consider one, just don't do it for me from an engineering perspective...

A few forum guys moving to jag at the moment...I must say I was nearly tempted with a 07 plate XK last year before I bought the E55, however a Jag (S-type) has the award for worst car I ever owned and its kinda hard to get away from that brand image...not saying I would never consider one, just don't do it for me from an engineering perspective...
Hmmm. I don't know. At least the S-type was only ugly at one end. The X-Type was ugly at both ends. And undersized in the back. And poor ride quality. The only really positive advantage both models had was that the sunglasses holder was large enough and specially shaped to hold a pipe without it rattling.

The XF though, that's an entirely different creature.

Bloke I work with has this exact car. Coming up three years now and been pleased with it. Only problems seem to be with the rear suspension.At one point , if you were in the rear it seemed to "shimmy" as you went round a bend. Taken to garage to investigate and a big re build followed. Now fine. Seems some parts used in the suspension are not the high quality items you would expect with a premium car. But hey its nice to hear the old BL design methods still survive !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom